Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Roadies, they don't like it up em
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

I've finally got my lightweight xc race bike just as I planned it and this morning I took it out on our local, flat and boring trails, while linking these together I had to use several road sections.

Now my bike is fast I didn't think it was roadie fast, but I caught a group or lycra'd up riders and knowing there was some off road section a mile a head I went for it. The look of discussed on their faces as I rode past on an MTB with an extra loud and extra cheery "HELLO" was a site to see. What made it better was seeing them over my shoulder get themselves in a mini peloton to come after me and to looks on their faces as I darted off down a muddy track with a wave to them just to round it off.

Then a solo team Liquigas lycra'd rider on a Dolan try and give chase before I headed off onto a canal tow path.

It passed the time on a boring 50+ mile loop I tell you

Roadies 0
    MTB 7

What's your score today?

househusband

I thought you were a roadie at heart, John?!

warton
    Free Member

they were probably out on a 100+ mile endurance ride, and you needed to give it your all to overtake them 🙄

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I've given up on that for a while now Andy, you never know, maybe in the summer?

There are too many drivers like me on the raod putting me off dusting it off just yet.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

warton – Member
    they were probably out on a 100+ mile endurance ride, and you needed to give it your all to overtake them

I don't think so.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Start to worry when they do like it up them 😯

MrOvershoot

JohnClimber – Member
    The look of discussed on their faces

So you overtook a debating society 😉

Dasha
    Free Member

Yawn!

jackal
    Free Member

Start to worry when they do like it up them

😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

John you are a hero, you won your own race that you didn't tell them about!!!

Most roadies aren't on ego trip on every ride.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Sad

MrSmith
    Free Member

that's an epic win in anyone's book
    chapeau!
    maybe you should take up racing and be a professional or something

allthepies
    Free Member

"The look of discussed on their faces as I rode past on an MTB with an extra loud and extra cheery "HELLO" was a site to see"

😈

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don't diss the guy he's clearly an epic rider.

angryratio
    Free Member

*insert tesco value bike forum reply here*

vdubber67
    Free Member

Is this exact thread an automated feature of this forum? Seems to happen every month or so.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I did it once and got nothing but encouragement & respect. Great chaps.

warton
    Free Member

What made it better was seeing them over my shoulder get themselves in a mini peloton

wouldn't they be in a 'peloton' anyway, as they were a group of riders?

or are you saying they were getting themselves into a train to give chase? shouting at each other: "come on, hes getting away, we have to pull him back"

what a load of bollox

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Ok, I'm sorry for posting this up if it's on here if it comes up "every month or so" up and my crap spelling, but it cheered me up and helped pass the time on a training ride.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You passed some folk on bikes, you're amazing. I see frantic folk like you on my commute every day – guys on old bikes riding a couple of miles to work and getting a thrill as they put all their effort in to getting passed me. I just let them go, not really worth the effort and if passing someone on a bike gives them a wee thrill and something to boast about during their dull days then I'm in no mood to burst their bubble.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

FFS I've said I'm sorry and I'll never do it again…….

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think what everyone's trying to say john is that they are all faster on a road bike than the guys you overtook

cynic-al
    Free Member

wonnyj
    Free Member

I understand your satisfaction. Well done.

Everyone else is just miserable, trying to piss on your mini-triumph.

oldgit
    Free Member

Got overtaken by an MTB'er once. Which might have been annoying if he had done the same thing during the race the day before.
    It's all sillyness, got overtaken by three lads on road bikes though I don't think they were actually roadies as they all promptly died imediately afterwards.
    Bit like I said on a post earlier today, leave your egos behind, save them for race days.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

helped pass the time on a training ride.

a) If you have to 'pass the time' on a training ride, you're not doing it right, and

b) If you're on a 'training ride' you should've been on a road bike yourself.

😉

And Oldgit has pointed out a commonly made mistake:

I don't think they were actually roadies as they all promptly died imediately afterwards.

Blokes riding road bikes are not necessarily roadies 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

Ok, I'm sorry for posting this

Don't be. The posting made me laugh, and I enjoy both mountain biking and roadie stuff. And an awful lot of roadies are sour faced, overly serious and barely speak to each other, let alone a bloke on a mountain bike.

singletrackmind

A very nice chap on a road bike enquired if we had the equipment to deal with a puncture. We did and on he went . Wish he was around after puncture #3.

b) If you're on a training ride you should have been on a road bike yourself.

So you can summerise he wasn't carrying a lead filled water bottle and running Super tacky 3 ply High Rollers in 2.5.

zaskar
    Free Member

O.P. how old are you btw? 😉

I have raced roadies on my old heavy mtb with slicks to see if I could get fitter and kept up for 12 miles and they don't like it especially after they have ridden hills and 50 miles they're probably knackered or doing a recovery ride!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I hate miserable folk!! Well done son!

nockmeister
    Free Member

I came across Team GB last weekend going in the oppo direction, dead impressed that they let on to me on my mtb…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hate miserable folk!! Well done son!

lol at teh ironing

0091paddy
    Free Member

Wow.

I bet that yielded great self satisfaction inside you. You'll be glad to hear that they'll instantly think you're an idiot.

'Roadies' if you must – 10

'kid on xc race bike' – 0

Gary_C

The roadies probably hadn't had their e.p.o…..

Kuco

Sour faced roadies I think I met the most sour faced mtb'er today at Cannock. Said hello and he just stared like a rabbit in the headlights.

singlespeedstu

Having seen how "fast" the OP is those "roadies" must have been propper shite.

You sure it wasn't the local oldboys once yearly outing John. 😉

Moomin
    Free Member

Well done Kiwi, dont suppose you were ss'ing it aswell. Like the bit about the bail out a mile ahead, class.
    So if i offer up any secret training road rides this year you'll now be up for them:wink:

genesis
    Free Member

Can. Worms. Opened.

Woody
    Free Member

I had a similar success rate today, so much so I lost count but it was approximately………..

Roadies – nil

Nissan Micra – about 12

and I didn't need to go offroad to hold them off either 8)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Roadies, they don't like it up em’ is closed to new replies.