Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Roadies – Etiquette etc.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

So, one thing I really dislike is when I’m out on a roadie ride by myself, and another rider catches up to me and subsequently sits on my wheel for the next few km, or until we go different directions. Only a small thing but it does my head in, it doesn’t bother me if another rider is faster than me, but if that’s the case can you pass me out and carry on rather than sitting on my wheel!!! As I said, only a small thing but does my nut in a bit. 😈

End rant…

weeksy

You need to get a life if that’s all you could think of for a discussion thread on here.

scaredypants

… useless without pics of your arse

iolo
    Free Member

Stop for 20 seconds, then start again and go on his wheel.
    Easy.

project
    Free Member

I’m out on a roadie ride by myself, and another rider catches up to me and subsequently sits on my wheel for the next few km, or until we go different directions

Have the same problem on the bike with other vehicles but they usually decide to overtake at the most damgerous places, and have no idea what the mirrors or indicator are for.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Whatever

michaelmcc
    Free Member

You need to get a life if that’s all you could think of for a discussion thread on here.

You need to get a life mister if that’s the only reply you can think of 🙄 . I wasn’t trying to start a discussion, it was just a rant.

And don’t get me started on some of the threads people start here, like “which spoke key”, or “which mini pump”… ffs!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think it’s rude and potentially unsafe, have also been flamed for expressing that opinion.

Guiding them into a pot hole works well, I am told, I just like to slow down gradually and see if they get the hint.

rOcKeTdOg

I just pretend it’s the end of a tour stage and start “messing about” try to get them to come through, then sprint past over an imaginary finish line, jersey zipped & arms aloft

techsmechs
    Free Member

Carefully tip your head back, peer over your shoulder and empty the contents of your nose making sure to aim straight and true…..

butcher

A good fart should sort it out.

allthepies
    Free Member

Heavy front brake, rolling endo while simultaneously doing the “sign of the horns” gesture with your left hand.

They’ll get the message.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m okay with it as long as they’re not a clot.

tonyg2003

It’s only rude if you are riding flat out and they half wheel you whilst chatting and not out of breathe.

You have two options if it bothers you. 1. Drop back or stop. 2. drop them. Easy and chill about it.

mrmo
    Free Member

problem i find with tractors and equally applies to some riders, i can match the speed if i sit in, but that little extra to get past and build a real gap not a chance. To just sit there is a bit rude if you do it for a while, but aerodynamically it makes the front rider faster anyway.

IanW
    Free Member

Snot rocket?

Or you could say hello and have someone to ride with next time.

singlespeedstu

Just keep flicking for right elbow like you have a nervous tick.

Houns

Buy a mountain bike and ride off road

faz083
    Free Member

I don’t see this as a problem? You want to talk to them then pull over to the right a bit and they should come up alongside you.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

You want to talk to them…..

I don’t want to lol.

Buy a mountain bike and ride off road

I own three mountain bikes 😉 .

michaelmcc
    Free Member

And nice one Rocketdog! lol!

cheers_drive

Anyone who catches up with me usually stops to chat before passing. Perhaps you’re inadvertently speeding up so he can’t pass, like a middle lane driver does 😉

tomhoward

It’s punishment for letting them catch you.

Rule 5.

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t like strangers drafting me. Think it is unsafe and rude. In a race or club run when it is expected it is fine but not with complete strangers.

Normally a flick of the elbow will tell you if they are work shy or a novice. After that use it as a bit of race practice and attack or sit up and coast until they get the message.

smell_it
    Free Member

another rider catches up to me and

you lost me there really.

oldgit
    Free Member

you lost me there really

😉

nosaintangel
    Free Member

May have been flaggin after a hard ride!
    still should have pulled alongside and said hi.

senorj

I’m with the op on this one too .
    However beware…I caught up with a couple of fellas last week ,I said hello&started to pass ,then the keen one decided it was hammer time.he left his mate behind and harried me for 2 miles .ha.
    I had my arse handed to me on a plate by a pensioner …shamefully ,I was glad his face was ashen when I caught him up in barnet .. 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah you see that’s poor form. When someone passes, let them go, never ever chase. let them think they’re good, because it doesn’t matter.

However one day you’ll be on the start line and you’ll meet again, only you’ll know what he has. Then you can sit him on his arse.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Ah you see that’s poor form. When someone passes, let them go, never ever chase. let them think they’re good, because it doesn’t matter.

Controversial! 😉

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Glad Im not the only one this offends
    I dont mind a pal I trust up my jacksie, fnarr fnarr, but a random freeloader with unqualified bike skills can naff off

Start hoiking up random phlegm and gobbing it whilst pretending you didnt know they were there

Bunny hopping potholes also works

Or just drop them

cheers

eddiebaby
    Free Member

+1 for phlegm

mattsccm
    Free Member

Let them go but only just. After all if they have caught or passed you they cannot be seen to be unable to keep up. don’t let them know you are pushing things though so whistling or something looks good.
    Agree with snot.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ll give them a tow for a minute then slow down, if no one is coming through then I sit up and tail them for a minute then go ahead, hopefully this initiates a bit of teamwork, if not I just sit up again and let them go.

There’s an incredible amount of freeloaders up and down the shared cycle way here who look as though they’re spent when you drift on by but suddenly wake up when there’s a wheel available.

It’s a difficult one to call as I’ve nearly been hit by some people who think they only have to have eyes on the back of my wheel, not realising that there is sometimes no time to signal something ahead.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I was waved passed one in the peak yesterday. Kind I thought helpful I thought. Only he’d waved me past into the path of oncoming traffic. Idiot.

davidjey
    Free Member

Sit up, have a chat, share the work.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve no problem with being drafted. I’d appreciate acknowledgement but I’m not that bothered. It’s not like it makes my life harder is it?

It is less safe in some situations, in town for instance, but I don’t think it’s much of an issue on the open road.

benp1

How close do you have to be for it to be of benefit?

I’ve had people behind me on my commute but frankly I’m not going that quickly so I doubt they’re doing it for speed! I’d always assumed it made a nice change to follow someone for a bit

Some of them have then proceeded to overtake a while later, others either drop behind or turn off

BigDummy
    Free Member

Pull for a minute, then flick your right elbow up, check you’re safe to do so and move towards the right, allowing them to come through, then slot in on their wheel.

If when you go right they follow you across the road and stay on your wheel then you are fully within your rights to smoke them. 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – Etiquette etc.’ is closed to new replies.