• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by adt.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Roadie bike for commuting & runaround
  • Keva
    Free Member

Im thinking about getting a new or second bike for a runaround / commuter. What can I get for around £500-600 ? Needs to be a roadie type tourer sort of thing, might consider spending up to £800 depending on the difference a couple of hundred quid makes, dunno yet. Bike needs to be as light as possible, Im light and don’t like heavy bikes.

What can I get for my money ?

fanks,
    Kev

ton

spesh tricross.
    i got on on friday, been out for 2 hours on it today to get used to it.
    very nice indeed.
    and pretty light too.
    very versatile.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Also a Tricross sport (on bike to work). Makes a decent commuter/light tourer that can also be ridden off-road.

adt
    Free Member

Kinesis racelight tk you cant fault them ,I have put some serious miles on mine ,very comfy responsive bike

feenster
    Free Member

Cotic Roadrat,

well somebody had to say it.

Got one few weeks ago. Loving it, ticks your boxes I reckon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

never ridden one, but the roadrat looks fugly, so bad in fact it may even be a gate constructed from bots of the ugly tree. Its a hybrid for people that dont want to admit they want a hybrid.

Lower end cannondale road bikes on ebay seem to be apreciating. I bought my R500 for £300 a few years ago. Similar bikes in lot worse condition to mine are fetching £375+ ! All the reviews i read said the same thing, comfortable and fast. Which sums it up nicey. Its about 0.5 to 1lb heavier than most low end road bikes, but most of that seems to be in the OEM wheelset, became a whole different animal with some cheep (off here) shimano R550 wheels. I was using it for everything from fast cub runs to all day “lest see how far i can ride without a map and get the train back” rides (I ran out of land!).

feenster
    Free Member

never ridden one, but the roadrat looks fugly, so bad in fact it may even be a gate constructed from bots of the ugly tree. Its a hybrid for people that dont want to admit they want a hybrid.

Not quite sure how someone can be so scathing and dismissive of a bike they haven’t even ridden, based on looks.

It’s a bike that takes elements from a number of different styles of bike and puts them together in a pretty unique package. So yeah, it’s a hybrid, so what?

If you want a touring bike, get one, if you want a mountain bike, get one, if you want a road bike, get one. If you want one bike that does a decent but not perfect job of all of disciplines, you won’t go wrong with a roadrat.

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re not fussed about disk brakes on it, I’d say get a Tricross. Mate has one and I think it’s a terrific all-rounder.

tom84
    Free Member

i’m thinking about this too, i have fallen in love with the idea of a salsa casseroll (but i can’t afford it) they are great though

adt
    Free Member

I have raced and placed on the Kinesis TK thats why I recomend it ,dont see many salsa at road races though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Roadie bike for commuting & runaround’ is closed to new replies.