• This topic has 41 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • road touring – bar bags
  • iainc

looking at at Ortlieb Ultimate 6

this one

for my CDF in road touring mode. I already have Ortlieb back roller panniers.

Was planning to replace the Ortlieb mount, which some say is a bit rubbish, with the Rixen Kaul klickfix one, which is compatible.

Anything else I should be looking at ?

I reckon I can pair it with the panniers for multi-day trips, or my Revelate Pika for overnights

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those, will be riding with it (and a camper longflap) on the Gravel Dash 50/50 this coming weekend. The bracket seems pretty sturdy – I’m not sure I’d buy something else to use with it.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve the Ortlieb 5 litre handlebar bag – http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ortlieb-Ultimate-6-Compact-Handlebar-Bag_78981.htm. I got that because it’s narrow enough not to foul the gear cables which exit from the side of the hood on my bike. If your cables are the newer style that don’t do this then the linked model looks fine.

I’ve not had a problem with the Ortlieb mount – it’s a bit of a faff to install but for me that was fit and forget as I’ve not taken the mount off since.

iainc

Thanks for that aP – the reviews suggested that the bracket doesn’t like being taken on and off regularly, as the wires fray and stretch. Mine would only be going on for away trips, so bracket on and off 4 or 5 times a yr…

kcal

I think the Ortlieb mount doesn’t work if you need to reinsure to another bike – e.g. I swapped my son’s Ortlieb bar bag as above, and it needed another loop of cable and stuff to refit. Having said that the mount is sturdy and works fine.

iainc

thanks all. Will have a look at the mount that comes with it and also the Rixen one, as would ideally not be leaving it on the bike between trips, as it is often in ‘gravel/adventure off road mode 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

This guy makes some nice UK Born kit..

BigXTop

wicki
    Free Member

Yes if you take it on and off a lot the cable can damage but i would suggest it does not need to be tightened as much as you think ..my first one i over tightened the two underneath screws badly cutting into the cable …..apart from this a good bag four years on still happy with it.

aP
    Free Member

Ah – Mine is just mounted and will remain on the bike. Not sure I’d really want to take it on and off a lot.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I’m also looking at the Ultimate 6 but I have carbon bars, I don’t really want to change the bars. Is the Rixen Kaul handlebar fitting any better than Ortliebs cable version?

STATO
    Free Member

Is it only the ortlieb 6 that is compatible with klick fix mounts? Have a 5 and don’t use it much due to the wire based fast ing, it’s good but not easily removed/fitted.

iainc

^^^^ from my limited reading about them, yes. The 5 appears not to be compatible :

read here

iainc

Is the Rixen Kaul handlebar fitting any better than Ortliebs cable version?

I hope so, and from speaking to a few people who take the Rixen Kaul brackets on and off I think so….

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of the Ortleib ones and don’t move them once installed. They’re fine.

iainc

Ortlieb 6 ordered plus a set of the Rixen Kaul mounts as it will likely be going on and off a few times a year..

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I’ve bought an ultimate 6 to have a look at the mounting options. The ortlieb mount has a couple of bolt holes either side of the logo, probably for fitting an extension piece (although the web pictures of the extension don’t look like they use them). Anyway, they’ll be perfect for bolting the clip to a bracket I’ll fabricate to fit to my stem faceplate. That way I won’t be worried about the cable damaging my carbon bars and I’ll be able to easily remove the clip when not using it.

scotroutes

I’ve used the Ortlieb 5 fixing (i.e. with cable) on carbon bars without a problem – oh and it’s been on and off a few times without any hassle. Mind you, it’s hardly an inconvenience to leave it on when not in use.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got an Arkel bar bag, they come in two sizes, being a serial over packer I went for the large, it’s HUGE.

They have a really smart mounting system that I think is much better than the Ortlieb. They have a new range of fabrics now, mine is the older cordura, the new ones are made of a similar stuff to Ortlieb.

[video]http://youtu.be/_ekcaQ9wIts[/video]

Craggyjim
    Free Member

@McMoonter

The Arkel stuff looks really good, I like the look of the mounting system, presumably the bag is stopped from rotating by doing up the clips nice and tight.

Part of me getting the Ortlieb is tartiness as it matches my panniers 😳

iainc

I sent the ortlieb back as the mounting just wouldnt fit in with my cables – under bar tape 105’s and hydraulic hoses, so a lot of stuff there.

That Arklet mount looks like it might work well with cables through the holes…

TiRed

Rixen and Kaul mounts are superb. I regularly carry too many (5+) kilos in a detachable shopping bag. The cable is just any old brake cable an can be easily replaced. There is a reason why they are 1) popular and 2) unchanged in years!

I shall mount one on the back of my trike and carry laptop in the basket!

TiRed

Double post.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

good, I like the look of the mounting system, presumably the bag is stopped from rotating by doing up the clips nice and tight.

The mounting is rock solid. You don’t need to do the bolts up super tight. I accidentally stripped the threads on one of mine believing I had to. I made a tempo par on the road repair on the TransAm, when I got home I emailed Arkel and they sent me a new pair FOC. Great company to deal with.

The bag itself has an internal aluminium frame which the bag is suspended from. The big bag can carry a lot of weight and I’ve never had any issues with it deforming while full. I have wide bars on my touring bike, I’m using old 9 speed Utlegra levers so it’s tight with the big bag and the shifter cables. But it works fine. I’ve ridden about 10,000 miles with it and have nothing but praise for the product.

firestarter
    Free Member

Im currently in search of a bar bag for when my new bike turns up but ive a bit of a problem due to set up it will have to sit over the top of a disc brake hose as due to the drop bar rohloff shifter i cant move it iut if the way to clear the bracket

Id love a stem facemounted option as that would be ideal. Otherwise im thinking possibly the arkel may fit if i thread the brake hose thru it but im not sure on exact sizing. Or use a rixen kaul bracket and file a hose slot in the center of it

Mcmoonter would you mind measuring the arkel mount. The front part that wraps round the front of the bar how thick is that bit? As im not sure if it will move the hose out too much to clear the mount to thread it through the center section hole. And how far does the back of the bag actually sit from the bar. Cheers

iainc

therwise im thinking possibly the arkel may fit if i thread the brake hose thru it

I was thinking similar, however watching that video clip I’m not sure stuff can be threaded through ?

firestarter
    Free Member

This is the set up im dealing with. Im thinking slot front hose through arkel or file a slot out of center of rixen kaul mount to slot it in . Both have pros and cons

scotroutes

Have you considered something like a Revelate Harness and Alpkit drybag? The Harness comes with some stand-off spacers that might give you a solution.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oE4xXC]P1010496[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oE5359]DSC_0144[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

Id prefer an actual box type bag to use while riding tbh but im now also debating a frame bag and stem/tt bag as a compromise. I may fit a rixen kaul type fitting but use an extender so im filing down the extender rather than the mount that way if it doesnt work i can sell it complete and ive only modified a ten quid part

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Id prefer an actual box type bag to use while riding tbh

Do you have 27mm of spacers on your steerer? If you do you could try a Thorn accessory bar to fit the bag too.

If not the bracket I’m trying should work. I’m fitting it in front of the stem faceplate with some spacers, replacing the bolts with longer ones. Just need to get the longer bolts today.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I will take some pics tonight when I get home. There is a bit of adjustability with the clamps the bars and where they mount to the bag.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers mcm

Jim can you take a pic of the thing your trying when you sort it

Thorn bar thing looks possible but it would lower the bag further so may foul the cables more. Steerer wise its not been built up yet so i could ask for 27mm of spacers to be left on i guess. The stem mount idea seems the best i cant understand why its not commercially available already tbh sounds ideal and freez up bar space. I presume its down to different stem bolts

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Yes, I’ll post some pics when I’ve done. But check out SJS, there are plenty of different options for the Thorn accessory bar. Different angles (up or down) and lengths.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fire starter, I took some pics but can’t find the cable to download them. I will have another look in the morning.

The clamps on the bar bag are adjustable to the point where if the aluminium mounts on the bars are tight against the stem the bar bag should still fit. That may give you enough space to route the cable either through the bracket or around it.

It would be worth contacting Arkel using the photos above to ask if it would be workable. They are bound to have been asked before. I found them a great company to deal with.

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks i will bob them a mail cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

Btw mcmoo the arkel clamp that wraps round the bar on the outside of the bar ie the bit sort of inline with the stem faceplate how thick is that? It looks like its pretty thin like 3 or 4mm or is it thicker. Cheers

mcmoonter
    Free Member

i measured the front side of the bar clamp, the side nearest to the bag. It’s only 2mm thick. So pretty thin, might be enough to clear your cable.

firestarter
    Free Member

Many thanks mate

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Firestarter, I’ve put some photos of my Ortleib bracket here.

My spacers are quite short but it would be easy to lengthen them to fit over a cable, or put a hole in the bracket side. These are made out of 1mm stainless sheet.

firestarter
    Free Member

That looks great jim and does away with the wire too. I could do with that but some longer spacers . Fancy making one 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fire starter, here you go. These are the older model clamps, the ones still featuring the field repair. There is a lot of adjpjustment towards the stem left. I don’t think that would compromise the stability of the bag in any way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘road touring – bar bags’ is closed to new replies.