Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Road bwoys – is it so wrong? (bar tape)
  • scaredypants

… to tape over the hood covers 😳

I know it’s not done, but why?

I like bar tape: it’s grippy, absorbent, replaceable, even potentially decorative.

Hood covers are rubbery and a bit slippy on bare hands (or was, when it was warm out) and I’m not going to be moving my levers once they’re set, so why not ?

Will the bigger boys give me chinese burns and take my dinner money if I do it ?

munkster
    Free Member

Do what you want but you might be cursing your decision if you need to change any cables! 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What hoods? I can’t recall ever struggling on modern STls.

scaredypants

they’re shimano FWIW – it’s the non-absorbency that matters to me rather than brand

(yes, I am a bit of a perspirer)

… and I’ve pretty much always needed to change tape more often than cables

damascus
    Free Member

Needs a picture

munkster
    Free Member

Surely wearing gloves is the simplest non-wrong solution??

lazybike
    Free Member

Will the bigger boys give me chinese burns and take my dinner money if I do it ?

No…they might point and laugh though, it’s a bit like tucking your top in your shorts, or wearing leg and arm warmers over the top. Might be harder to tape as well..

smell_it
    Free Member

Keep your bike looking beautiful and admit that you are cursed.

It would be better on the eye.

scaredypants

Hmmmmmm, I like bare hands when I can

Might give it a go, though next summer is the likely time (I’ve just retaped, that’s why it was on my mind but didn’t do it in case there was a genuine reason)

I tend to ride alone so nobody to offend

There’ll be no pics though!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Practically? You’ll ruck the tape up as you pull backwards/downwards.

lazybike
    Free Member

here’ll be no pics though!

Spoilsport…I ride with odd shifters and odd bar tape…not good for my ocd club mates!

kcr
    Free Member

Why’s it not done? Well, if you tape over the hood covers I think you’ll end up with very chunky hoods which will be harder to hold. I also think it will be tricky to tape round bars and over hoods in a continuous run, and you might end up a bit short of tape. Mitts will give you better grip on bare hoods and on bar tape if things get sweaty.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not done because it’s a case of making things more difficult for yourself, for no discernible gain. As stated above, mitts will give you the grip you need.

That, and the fact that it will just look horrible: Pull back the hood, wrap the bar tape around, and when you push the rubber hood back into place, it all looks very neat. Wrapping tape around the hood would look hideous and the tape will move over time, making it look worse and reduce the grip.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why is it not done? It’ll look **** awful and feel shite, that’s why.

simondbarnes

Why is it not done? It’ll look **** awful and feel shite, that’s why.

This. And it might stop your gears working.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tape shall be under the hoods.
    Tape shall be Lizard Skins DSP.
    Tape shall be black.

Them’s the rules.

edhornby

Tape needs to be tight on the bars to hold it in place, wrapped over the hoods will make it unravel very quickly

mattbee

Tape doesn’t have to be black but it must be neatly applied & under the hoods.
    (Crap pic as it’s cropped from a bigger one. Millions of spacers under stem as it’s the position suggested after a Retul fit.)

imnotverygood

I have to admit I find it hard to see how on earth it could actually go around the hoods without slipping off. Just wear mitts if sweat is a problem..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Road bwoys – is it so wrong? (bar tape)’ is closed to new replies.