Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road Bike – Presumably this crankset will fit….
  • stumpy01

Pretty sure this will work, but anyway….

I have one of these:
    http://www.carrarocicli.com/eng/index.htm?id_prod=10

and the BB is a bit clicky (has been since new – works fine just random ticks…), plus more importantly it looks a bit basic.

Merlin have cheap SORA chainsets, of which I am considering getting one.
    I think the current BB is a sq taper. Presumably a HTII BB will fit without issue (just like it did with my mountain bike when I swapped from sq taper to HTII??)

The original crankset probably has less than 500 miles on it, so should sell OK on eBay.

Advice, as ever, would be much appreciated before I press ‘buy’……

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just be aware that Shimano HTII style road chainsets sometimes don’t come with bottom brackets. Tiagra ones are around £10 – £15.

Also, it looks like an Italian brand(?) so don’t know if the bb shell would be Italian threaded rather than British? So you might have an issue there.

stumpy01

Cheers. The cranks come with or without BB, so that’s not a problem.

But you’ve hit the thingy on the whatsit, regarding Italian thread. That was my concern, but I couldn’t quite remember what it was….

Looking into it, Italian thread should be RH on both sides of the shell, but this means taking out the BB to find out. SHould also be a slightly larger diameter.

Might just order one. Can always send it back if it doesn’t fit….!

mboy
    Free Member

Italian BB will measure 70mm

Conventional British will measure 68mm

That’s the easy way to work it out without taking the BB out.

stumpy01

^ Yeah. I noticed that too, but while looking about for more info I found a forum where some bloke had assumed the same, ordered a BB based on the measurement and it turned out to be the other standard thread….

Here: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-147562.html

but I can use that as a starting point I guess….

stumpy01

Measured BB shell – 68mm. Have decided to bite the bullet and ordered one.

We’ll see what happens! Can probably stick it on eBay if it doesn’t fit & make a profit on it!!

oxym0r0n

With some handy marker pen work you could turn that into “Carrera” 😉

stumpy01

Would that be a good or a bad thing, then…?

stumpy01

Phew. It fitted!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike – Presumably this crankset will fit….’ is closed to new replies.