Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road bike mudguards
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ve started road riding with a club and funnily enough they are quite picky about you riding with mud guards. A friend has suggested the below, however on seeing the other guys out I think they need to be way longer with a mud flap. I was thinking of buying the below and making my own additional mud flap with a water bottle. Or can you recommend something else. I have a 10 year old Orbea Enol which I don’t think has any clearance or eyelets for the SKS mudguards. Help I don’t want to be berated by the club again 😉

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31304&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Rochey
    Free Member
    pedalhead
    Free Member

I just ordered some of these for my Supersix…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42448

They seem to get mixed reviews, but options are limited for bikes with very little clearance for mud guards. I’ll let you know what they’re like.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Rochey would those go on an ORbea Enol that’s the question, I don’t know enough. I’ll have to get Mr MC on the case.

Rochey
    Free Member

Yes, the mudguards attach to the rear stay and dont go near the brakes.

I have used these on my Race bike before, I fully understand the other “roadies” saying wheres your mudguards as Im one of those people 😉

Any probs private mail me and we can chat.

TheFopster
    Free Member

The raceguard linked to in the OP is not going to cut it with the roadie fraternity. I was out with a couple of friends on road bikes at the weekend and one was on CX bike with one of those. Could not ride close behind without getting a proper soaking. I had the SKS raceblades in the second post and those are borderline acceptable – again the roadie purists will not consider them effective enough to ride in a group. If you can’t fit “proper” full guards I think the Crud ones linked to by pedalhead may be the best option – maybe see what others in the group use (those that don’t have a “winter bike” that is as no doubt many will…)

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I use Crud Roadracer mkII mudguards on a 2010 Specialized Allez,the reason I mention the model of bike is that it has no eyelets for mudguards,the clearance is very close,here’s a couple of photos,see what I mean about the clearance?

The kits come with extension pieces to make them longer,but so far I’m happy with them at the lengths in the photo’s,also if you look close they give some protection to the front mech

Macgyver

Waves at Munqe Chick. A mate of mine has very tight clearances on his commuter but seems to get away with using full mud guards. Rather than a curved U shaped channel making the mud guard, it consists of a flat strip of aluminium curved to fit – i.e. no sides to the mud guard. I had my doubts but they seem to work really well, better than Race blades I’d say.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I fitted SKS Blumels, then got it in the neck because they’re not long enough. I couldn’t find any longer ones, but I bought a spare set on eBay for a few quid, chopped one up and used my rivet gun to link the two bits together to get it much longer. Having ridden them, they’re much better and will keep the roadies happy.

I think I’m going to drill my rivets out and swap the additional section with the section on the second set that has the support wires fitted, so that the extension is properly supported and won’t flap about in the wind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road bike mudguards’ is closed to new replies.