• This topic has 40 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Road Bike KTM Revelator – which spec?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

KTM Revelator, same frame, but different components

Shimano 105 5700/01 kit + Tiagra chainset/cassette

Wheels Shimano WH-R501

£899

Shimano 105 5800 through out
    Wheels Fulcrum Racingsport RB

£1,149

£250 more for the 3500.

Its a very good quality frame so will last for upgrades, but I’m sure when I have researched in the past things like the 5700 shifters are not as good?

Ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go with the cheaper one, then upgrade to SRAM or Campagnolo when funds allow.

simondbarnes

5800 is much nicer than 5700.

The R501 wheels aren’t 11spd compatible if you did upgrade in the future. The Fulcrum wheels are nicer although the freehub bodies are shit so be prepared to replace sometime in the near future.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok so wheels are not great on either then?

I was thinking wheels would be the first upgrade on the 3300 at least.

Actually think I prefer the frame colour of the cheaper bike…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The bike is dross in my opinion.

I’d just enjoy it for what it is, a nine hundred quid bike.

If I wanted something decent, I’d start from scratch.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In what way is it rubbish, all the reviews I read were great, have you owned one?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a load of cheapo stuff bolted to an ok frame.

Looking at it, I wouldn’t bother chucking money at it.

You could buy something far nicer second hand for the price.

There was a nice Giant TCR on the classifieds here for a couple of hundred quid less.

deepreddave
    Free Member

The Giant is a 7yr old bike albeit a lovely one. The Forme looks decent value to me although I’d not have paid anywhere near rrp for it and the gearing is pretty high if it’s 39-25 at its lowest, several too high for me as a newbie to road and living surrounded by hills.
    I think the KTM is a decent bike but you could have di2 for £1k second hand with not a lot of miles as they are under rated and relatively unknown.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That TCR looks lovely.

As DT mentions, the KTM appears to be in the world of shiny gewgaws on a mediocre frame. (See also many of the direct to consumer brands. Yes, Planet X, I’m looking at you).

By way of illustration this would be £1299 or thereabouts,

That frame knocks the KTM and Forme in to a cocked hat. If there are 2016s around, bargains possible.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I’m 5ft 7 so fall outside the range of ‘cheap’ second hand bikes.

I’ve looked at 2nd TCR’s etc and they always go for stupid money.

I’ve never seen a KTM second hand…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you just want any old road bike then the KTM would do. I’d ride one. I wouldn’t chuck money at it though. New wheels would be £300+ new groupset £300+ replacing the **** finishing kit with some half decent stuff would be another £200+ so then you’ve spent well over £1500.

Depends how much of a rush you’re in. There’s always bargains about second hand. Depends how bothered you are about riding something “decent” – if you’ve nowt to compare it to then does it matter?

My first thoughts when i looked at that KTM was “urgh” though

deepreddave
    Free Member

eBay has had a couple, think there’s one on there now but overpriced and too large probably. There were some Tarmacs at good discount in the end of year sales but think they’re all pretty much done now. This company had some ex display type bikes, including Wilier, at good prices when I was looking last year, some were on eBay at BIN prices but they were prepared to discount those when I chatted to them so worth a try maybe atb sales.

jonnyboi

@captainflasheart, that Allez is going to be £1500 if you want a size that’ll fit the OP.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hadn’t looked too hard, to be honest. Was just trying to illustrate that frames are more important than ‘spec’.

jonnyboi

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6983/GIANT-TCR-ADVANCED-3-2016

Good value and plenty of upgrade potential

steve_b77
    Free Member

They’re certainly not any old frames, a full uci approved / sanctioned race frame that’s used right through the range and ridden by a few pro teams throughout Europe so not exactly run of the mill.

They ride very nicely and IMHO are far nicer than the TCR I had previously. They have really nice predictable and stable handling but are also comfy and more than capable of anything the average rider is likely to throw them at, but then again some on here are above average aren’t they.

Go for the 3500 with the nicer gruppo, you won’t regret it.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Revelator; great bike. I was quite surprised that a brand I’d not really considered had turned out such a nice bike. Having ridden a Canyon Aeroad with full bling components recently I’d not swap (I might take the DI2 though) which surprised me a little. I’ve not ridden BIG mountains on the KTM so far but it climbs well, descends well and out of the box all I’ve changed is the seatpost for an SL-K one I had and the wheels for my DTSwiss ones that are a lot lighter than the stock ones.

Ignore the people who think it’s some sort of open mould frame from the far east, it’s not DeRosa or PX 🙂

Dunc – If you get the cheaper spec one I’d happily flog you the Racing Sport wheels that came on my KTM with tyres and tubes for really not very much money as they’re never getting used as I have two nicer sets here that I use instead.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Steve – I’ve ridden a TCR, in what way do you prefer the KTM?

Atlaz – thanks for the offer, but I would upgrade wheels probably like you did.

There is a nice Wilier on eBay though…

lunge

Ignore the haters, nice frame, the finishing kit is a bit low rent as it is on most bikes at that level but bar that it’s a good buy. The more expensive version is what I’d go for as the newer 105 is much nicer than the old stuff. Not much in it as far as the wheels go both are solid budget types that are ripe for upgrade when you fancy.

plus-one

Reckon you won’t get a bad bike for your budget .. If it’s the revelator that floats your boat go for it 8) (the 105 5800 one)

That tcr does look lovely though the Paul’s cycles one 😀

deepreddave
    Free Member

There’s a 3500 for £1050 on eBay from a retailer in various sizes and open to a best offer, item no 112345154331. They also have a 2015 3500 on their website £875 but not sure what sizes gear4motorcycles

steve_b77
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Steve – I’ve ridden a TCR, in what way do you prefer the KTM?

It’s a damn sight more comfortable and climbs better, it also handles cobbles nicely and the internally routed cables don’t rattle

TiRed

Ignore DT, the revalator is a great frame that is UCI approved and in the Pro Team. Just not widely recognised here (and hence “value”). That said, for your money, I’d buy the cheaper spec, as even 105 is not doing the frame justice.

As for the geometry, well it is basically half-way between Giant TCR and Giant Defy, so will be an excellent riding bike. It’s probably made by Giant as well 😉

EDIT: And I wouldn’t worry about it being 10-speed. Should you come to upgrade, you’ll replace the wheels, shifters and derailleurs as a whole. And half my bikes are still 10-speed, it just means you don’t have an 11T and a 28T on a narrow spaced cassette. Not a huge deal really.

stumpy01

deepreddave – Member

There’s a 3500 for £1050 on eBay from a retailer in various sizes and open to a best offer, item no 112345154331. They also have a 2015 3500 on their website £875 but not sure what sizes gear4motorcycles

Just in case you’re interested in looking into this – this KTM dealer is about a mile from my house. I’ve only been in to buy fork oil but they seem like a decent bunch of lads. Their main thing is the motorbike side of the business, but they tend to keep a half decent stock of bicycles in.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Deepreddave – where does it say what frame sizes they have, and that they are open to offers?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just spoke to them, only a 55cm, which he thought would be a perfect fit for me 😆

shortcut

I have a 2015 Revelator Master and love it. Fantastic carbon frame and a decent groupset and reasonable kit.

atlaz
    Free Member

Decent groupset? Isn’t it Dura-Ace… I think most people would rate that slightly above decent

steve_b77
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Just spoke to them, only a 55cm, which he thought would be a perfect fit for me

It won’t, I’m nigh on 5’11” and ride a 55cm Revelator with a lay back post and 110mm stem, I’d say you were a 53cm.

Try this guy if you’re anywhere near Cheshire https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=778359138979114&substory_index=0&id=322631307885235

gingajim
    Free Member

Read my review of the Revelator 4000 in this weeks Cycling Weekly:) The carbon frame it’s incredibly smooth and rewarding!! I’m with others in that the frame is the same and they both have 105 – so go with the cheaper one (unless you want orange!!)

deepreddave
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Deepreddave – where does it say what frame sizes they have, and that they are open to offers?

Appreciate you’re sorted now but the eBay description included “This is a brand new bike that is a available in different frame sizes”.
    My comment re best offer was based on retailers often accepting less the BIN price on eBay if contacted directly. If nothing else it may help you negotiate a cheaper price from another seller :).
    As an aside anybody else place the quotes in the right place only to find they present as if quoting the balance of the text? Needed to edit and replace exactly where they were to get the correct display. Edit – and the opening quote insists on coming after the poster name even though the cursor is clearly before it. Grrr. 5 edits later….

mboy
    Free Member

FunkyDunc YGM.

At 5ft7 you’d need a 52cm Revelator.

There’s a few well informed opinions already on this thread about the bikes, far be it for me to say, but in this case DT’s isn’t one of them! 😉

Crap pic, but my old one (custom build with SRAM Red, Reynolds Assaults, Zipp Bar/stem/post) just after Ride London in 2015…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So the new KTM arrived yesterday 🙂

Got a fantastic deal from The Missing Link bike shop who were excellent! £1,000 for a £1,500 bike!!

Only been up and down the road so far, initial thoughts are accelerates just as well as the TCR and very nice handling.

I also get the impression the harder you push it the more it will reward.

The wheels will go though, too heavy !

Out for a proper ride later and then will feed back to the doubters…

atlaz
    Free Member

They’ve toned down the bar-tape then. The drops on mine are colour matched to the frame colour; in my case neon yellow.

It’s a great bike though, I love it.And yes, the wheels are pretty weighty. I can’t even give my set away.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice looking bit of kit that, you’ll love it

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry meant to get back with an update.

I can see why some may think its ‘dull’ to ride. It soaks up the road very well, and if you just plod along it is very easy to ride and stable.

Through downhill bends IMO it inspiers more confidence than the TCR, and climbs just as well as the TCR.

The harder you push though the more it almost encourages you to do so.

What are peoples thoughts on Wiggle Cosine wheels? £180 currently for 1,500g wheelset !

jonnyboi

Superstar elites are cheaper, you can often get them around the £100 mark if you take an odd colour or are prepared to wait for a discount code to pop up

steve_b77
    Free Member

Through downhill bends IMO it inspiers more confidence than the TCR, and climbs just as well as the TCR.

I did tell you It’s a damn sight more comfortable and climbs better, it also handles cobbles nicely and the internally routed cables don’t rattle

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike KTM Revelator – which spec?’ is closed to new replies.