• This topic has 118 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Rivington Forum Ride/Pootle Sunday 9 th december with 10:30 start
  • kbrpro
    Free Member

If its alright me and the misses will be attending. I’ve told her it’s a manly day out so I’ve said she’s only welcome if she open gates, mend punctures, and other menial tasks 🙂 After I said that she said that i’ll be cold out side in the dog house…..i’m confused, we don’t have a dog! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye the more the merrier- just means less cake for all

We will hold the wench to your commitment

Dont worry the fast boys get to do the gates duty Cheers DONK 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

weather update
    thee will be no ice as it is quite warm 6 degrees ish – it will be very muddy as it has rained all day.

nbt

it was great till we left the quarry. 5 miles or so up coalpit lane into a bastard headwind was to be frank a right bastard. my feet are just getting warm now in front of a roaring fire

good ride though and the bits in the quarry were ace, cheeers for sharing. good to see folks again, hope to see some of you at Macc-fest next weekend

binners

Cracking run today chaps! Good to see everyone. The road climb past the Black Dog, when we left you, was fun with that headwind! But the ice cream run was good to finish

You lot all back in one piece?

wors

Which quarry?

nbt

Wilton 2 I think? Been 20 years since I went climbing there so might be wrong.

Bunnyhop

Brilliant fun apart from the wind. Junkyard and myself ended up walking a slight downhill, due to the gully down one side. He was talking to me the whole time but the wind just took his voice away.

Loved Belmont descent.

Thanks for organising.

Vortexracing

but the wind just took his voice away

we should be so lucky 🙄 😉

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks for bearing with me on San Marino – next time I will make sure I remember to take me lock out off 😳

Can’t believe I did that but it’s still the fastest I’ve ever had the guts to go down there.

Coal Pit Road was interesting to say the least with that headwind but I really enjoyed myself today. Hope everyone got back OK and enjoyed the ICR coz I bailed it on the mast road – that was interesting with the wind as well.

I’m hoping to get to Macc next week so looking forward to that.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Enjoyed today (mostly) that road climb with Binners was interesting. First and last time I bail early and follow him.

burgatedicky

Another thanks from me too.
    Was a really good ride out, even if I did make a bit of a pillock of myself “running” down that drop in the quarry trying to keep up with the bike!
    Will try to make the Macc ride next week.
    Top job guys, see you again!

burgatedicky

First and last time I bail early and follow him.

Gossip???

D0NK

that road climb with Binners was interesting. First and last time I bail early and follow him.

to be fair once you’re at the bottom of San Marino there is no ‘nice’ option to get back to rivi, all routes are varying degrees of suffering, our option (coal pit rd) was no better with that monster headwind but a lot less traffic I guess (not that we totally avoided irate drivers)

Good ride everyone, thanks for coming and JY for organising

D0NK

that road climb with Binners was interesting. First and last time I bail early and follow him.

to be fair once you’re at the bottom of San Marino there is no ‘nice’ option to get back to rivi, all routes are varying degrees of suffering, our option (coal pit rd) was no better with that monster headwind but a lot less traffic I guess (not that we totally avoided irate drivers)

Good ride everyone, thanks for coming and JY for organising

binners

Technically, as you overtook me half way up, you weren’t following me. Therefore I’m absolved of any responsibility! 😉

Actually… That road slog is bad enough at the best of times, but that headwind today was just brutal! It was worth the climb for the ice cream run to finish though.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Yeah nice run down there. Might be better next time when I should be able to feel my feet.

chico
    Free Member

Enjoyed the ride folks cheers. Me and Matt were on the Cubes. After we left you Matt got a puncture and ended up running with the bike for the last 3 miles back to the car. He said it would take too much time to fix it. as it was we were 15 minutes late for his babysitter. Is anybody organising a ride at Xmas?

D0NK

Downer! We were saying earlier its the first group ride we’ve done with no mechanicals.

hora
    Free Member

Good to me you all. Glad I started/finished early as even with leaving rivi at 1120 we just made the velodrome/bmx track with 15mins to spare at 1.15. Junkyard Ive put the Balance bike pics on my FB. Will try to share/email you the details.

nbt

one hundred

Naranjada
    Free Member

Brrrr, a stiff and chilly northerly and wet feet do not go well together.

Great ride, and thanks to D0NK and Junkyard for organising / leading.

Hope to see some of you at Macc forest next weekend.

tops5
    Free Member

What was the pace like then? Just interested for next time one of these is posted. I ride there quite a bit but more often than not at the back of our group on the climbs

nbt

pootles are designed for slow riders. pace is “social”.

we’re like the marines – no-one gets left behind. people might disappear, but they’re grown ups and we can’t make them stay 🙂

tops5
    Free Member

sounds like my kind of ride 🙂

Bunnyhop

(not that we totally avoided irate drivers)

Ah yes the impatient chap in the volvo. Also the delightful (not) woman in her massive 4×4 who told me to F off, couldn’t dampen my spirits on a really great ride.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but the wind just took his voice away
    we should be so lucky

Strikes off XMas card list- its a fiar point though.

Aye what Donk said was very windy whatever you did and that was nicer than what we did.

You could not have been slower than me up
    At one point my foot actually cam out the boot and left it in the pedal – I lost my BOA laces and had issues keeping the boot on whilst pedalling. Thankfully this was for only for the really long windy climbs.

We got lucky with weather though bar the wind and nearly no mechanicals.

Cheers DONK for leading..we always new you would end up doing it

I wondered how long the cars were behind us as it was so windy you could not hear them.

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard/binners (and any others) – here is the balance bike session for 2-4yr olds.

2 from yesterday, 1 from his first visit. He laughed non-stop. Loves it. Theres probably 15-20 kids there and I reckon 1-2 max who really don’t want to be there. The rest love it. Our next generation of cycling champions start/started out of Strider sessions I bet. We never had anything like this when we were two did we?

binners

What was the pace like then? Just interested for next time one of these is posted. I ride there quite a bit but more often than not at the back of our group on the climbs

Fear not! As long as I live and breathe, you’ve no need to worry about being at the back.

Our next generation of cycling champions start/started out of Strider sessions I bet.

Not that you’re putting any pressure on him though eh? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Not that you’re putting any pressure on him though eh?

Number One Son better get his arse moving. Just saying like.

D0NK

how much hora? can’t find a price for balance bike sessions, just BMX. Do you have to book?

tempted to go next week with little un but reckon he’ll lose interest after 5 mins and throw a strop.

hora
    Free Member

Donk £3 and £3 to hire a bike.

Are you sure he’d throw a strop?

hora junior face planted, cried then shoved me away and grabbed his bike and raced off.

Weird to watch- they all (99%) have to be pulled off the track unwillingly at the end of the session. Theres a little Asian lad – he falls on seemingly every corner. Always gets back on and races off. Hes determined!

Junkyard
    Free Member

He may well strop Hora 😉

Donk the starter one for my kids is just after the balance one if you fancy a day trip one Sunday pm…remeber when the Sunday rides were long days in the Lakes with just gentle hangovers

binners

JY – what age group is the starter rides for? I’d be interested in taking my pair along for that. It’d be right up their street

Junkyard
    Free Member

just seems to be 5 + as they have a kids rate

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/p/prices-2

Price is a £5 including bike hire- £ 2 fee £3 for the bike
    timetable here

http://pcms.s3.amazonaws.com/ncc/file/5279/winter-2012-continued.pdf

Xmas one here

http://pcms.s3.amazonaws.com/ncc/file/5291/christmas-timetable-2012.pdf

D0NK

Are you sure he’d throw a strop?

coz I’ve taken him out riding before. If there’s loads of other kids there it may well be different tho eg. meal times he eats everything they give him at nursery, at home he’s a right fussy bugger. kids eh?

remeber when the Sunday rides were long days in the Lakes with just gentle hangovers

vividly 🙁

hora
    Free Member

They split it into two parts- first part is gentle then they say if you are confident bring him/her over to the rollers.

I think its the herd mentality. One kid sees the other riding so joins in. Like at nursery- our lad eats like a king but at home he has no motivation to….

binners

Cheers JY. I think I’ll try and get them booked in over christmas

hora
    Free Member

I’m serious when I say this. Its well worth going. If they say they are full (they will) you can turn up just before its due to start (say 1.10pm) and at reception say ‘if someone doesn’t show can you slot us in’?

Yesterday about half didn’t show due to the Derby however normally (how we’ve got in when it was full) its been about 4-5 kids as no shows…as after all its on a hang over day and people like to go out/do stuff at weekends as a whole day. Plus its cheap enough to block book then not be arsed to show.

The staff know allthe kids names and its a great atmosphere. hora junior was laughing manically and as soon as he was allowed anywhere near he was off and didn’t comeback..

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Rivington Forum Ride/Pootle Sunday 9 th december with 10:30 start’ is closed to new replies.