Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • RIP Jonah Lomu
  • womble72
    Free Member

Very sad news.

Sam

Bloody hell, seriously?

Edit: just checked the news, awful…. He was really one of the most electrifying players I ever saw.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

40……..

RIP, fantastic to watch when he was playing.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Guardian Link

Just 40 years old. RIP big fella, was a pleasure watching you play.

womble72
    Free Member

Sorry, it wasn’t a lazy post… Can’t post a link. 40yrs young. Tragic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shockingly sad news. An amazing talent and player who probably changed the modern game when he arrived in that world cup.

andyl
    Free Member

Bugger 🙁

Northwind

Scott Hastings’ll sleep easier tonight. RIP huge terrifying rugby weapon. What a bloody shame.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Terrible news. A game changer and a gentleman.

Caher

no age – what impact he made.
    Did see him on BT’s rugby show the other week and he did not seem so good then.

aracer
    Free Member

He has been ill for a long time (since before he stopped playing) so it’s not surprising news, but still very sad.

duckman

I met him in Dublin when he was at the height of his fame and he came across as an incredibly humble,nice guy. Posing for pics with kids and chatting way above what you would have expected. RIP.

Pigface
    Free Member

Very sad news, I heard an interview with him where he said that he was never at 100% when playing due to dialysis.

A great player will be missed.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

RIP very sad news very much a rugby hero of mine 🙁

Coyote
    Free Member

RIP Jonah.

jamj1974

Such terrifying speed in a man of awesome size. He changed the game. Brilliant player.

Houns

Awful news. Such a nice bloke. RIP

tails
    Free Member

Big man, I remember running up and down my parents living room pretending to be him.

Stoner
    Free Member

just got a bit dusty in the kitchen watching this. Undoubtedly THE player that got me absorbed in rugby 20yrs ago.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLTxcyarfjw[/video]

convert

What a shame; I knew he had life long health issues and he was going through a particularly rough patch but it still comes as a shock. Quite literally a game changer in all senses. RIP.

Mackem

Amazing player, too young.

ourmaninthenorth

A great shame.

Watching him play was like the future had arrived with its boots and fancied a game. Extraordinary and an extraordinary legacy he has left.

hels
    Free Member

Huge loss – he will be missed. One of our best.

willard

A great player to watch and a said day for fans and his family.

philjunior
    Free Member

RIP indeed.

NZCol

Jonah led a transformation in what we thought players could do. I was lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and he was a very humble & genuine guy. His health was incredibly poor in recent years after his kidney transplant but he worked hard to not limit him and the family. Kia Kaha, gone way too soon.

TimP
    Free Member

I remember seeing his waxwork and realising the difference in size between normal human beings and international rugby players.

Sad day

Rockape63
    Free Member

There’s a pic of him arriving at the airport on Tuesday evening looking completely normal, pushing his luggage…..next morning he’s dead! Awful…. and leaving two young kids too. 🙁

ads678

Great bloke, great rugby player. One of the best.
    RIP Jonah. Today is a sad day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

RIP. What an extra ordinary player a true giant if the game struck down by disease.

Joost is very ill too, two outstanding players of that era who’ll not live to see old age

Nobby

Very sad news indeed.

robdob
    Free Member

” I heard an interview with him where he said that he was never at 100% when playing due to dialysis.”

Blimey! I bet some opposing players were glad he never got to full 100%!!!

hooli

Very sad, especially for his young family left behind 🙁

gonzy
    Free Member

what a phenomenal player and a true gentle giant!! the first global superstar of rugby. i remember watching that game against England in 1995 and just being in awestruck at the sight of him almost single handedly destroying the England side. oh how he made me laugh when he flattened Mike Catt!!
    there will never be another like him.
    RIP big guy.

matt_outandabout

😕 Thoughts for his family.

He was a real inspiration – at the time it felt rugby was not ‘cool’ and he just seemed to light things up and up the game to another level professionally and in enjoyment.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just saw Geraint Thomas post this

Jonah Lomu’s college Athletic records. 1989. A giant amongst men. Rest in Peace Jonah. Thoughts and prayers with your family

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Never a big fan of rugby and would struggle to name more than half a dozen players of any nationality, but I remember watching Lomu and knowing that i was seeing someone very special.
    Great player, a loss to the sport.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

odd that theres a S.Bradley Wi in that list 😆

theotherjonv

Great story from Clive Woodward on the Today program (someone else has twitter linked it rather than me type it out again)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@theotherjonv – on a very sad day that’s brought a smile to my face, a healing smile

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘RIP Jonah Lomu’ is closed to new replies.