Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Riding the Pennine Bridleway.
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ve been formulating a plan for a few weeks now, after realising that I have a cousin who lives near the southern end of the path in Kirk Ireton. So, the plan is to get the train over to Todmorden from Preston, then ride down over 2 / 3 days (hopefully in the sunshine) and get a lift back.

Has anyone done this, and do you have any good tips ?

I’ve been looking at all the information on the webpage

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/penninebridleway/text.asp?PageId=2

but is there aynthing that I should be aware of ?

Ta

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I have done sections of it and most is not very technical (except south of Hayfield which is a bit rocky) so if you are after more of a touring style ride, looking at beautiful scenery and passing through lovely villages then the Pennine Bridleway will be perfect. You can book in to stay with me at my B&B as I’m nearly halfway on your route!

ruddy
    Free Member

I am thinking of doing a similar trip this summer and I am in the (very) early stages of planning. I have a couple of initial maps from Bill Brady received earlier in the year if you want (email me and I will send by return, but you will need to check things have not changed).

Thinking of bivvy-bike but may have a night of luxury with a roof at your B&B NDT – what is the name/website?

I will also keep an eye on this post to see if anyone else has some gems of advice.

Cheers Ruddy

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Hi Ruddy,

It’s Lily Bank Farm Cottage and it’s located on the hillside between Mellor and New Mills, shouldn’t take you much more than 20 minutes pedalling to get to and from the PBW.

I make delicious cake!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I’ve put your B&B in my bookmark folder, just need to arrange for some sunshine. 😀 Not massivly technical is exactly what I’m looking for. I usually ride in the Lakes, but I’m in for Keilder (gulp) so looking for some easier riding to get some long days in the saddle.

I’ll mail you about the maps ruddy, thanks for the offer.

alanbill99

Hi ToD,
    I’ve ridden it quite a few times (in prep for my double attempt later this year – I leave near your mate from Kirk Ireton).
    If you’re doing it north to south from Tod, you get the majority of the climbing out the way early on. It’s basically all rideable, but there’s one climb out of Roych Clough which will stop most / all people in their tracks.
    It’s a lovely route which links up various conurbations with patches where you will NOT see anyone. All good rocky riding too!
    Once past Roych Clough the terrain eases up a lot (road sections linked by small bways) and there’s only one main drop into a deep dale before Taddington. So, do not simply look at distance. After Roych Clough it’s really straightforward but probably still another 25-30 miles. So do not make the mistook of splitting the route in two distance wise !!
    All the best and enjoy.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thanks alanbill99, that’s good info. I only have one thing to add. You’re going to do it twice, in one go, ARE YOU MAD !! 😯

Good luck dude.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I guess the main thing you should be aware of is that it doesn’t end in Tod any more, currently it goes all the way up to Kirkby Stephen and is planned to go further. A group of us are riding from KS to Penistone where we live next month, that’s 140 miles taking in the Eastern half of the Mary Towneley Way, the whole route is currently about 200 miles, in our route, I’ve measured about 20 miles of tarmac, the rest is a mixture of Water Board access tracks, farm tracks and old routes through the Yorkshire Dales. Looking forward to the challenge, I’ve calculated our route at 6,000 metres of climbing so no cake walk.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Pistonbroke is it waymarked all that way?

My wife is going to ride it on her horse this summer.

I’m planning to recce the route by bike beforehand. 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I have been told it is, the Yorkshire Dales Ranger Peter Lambert Peter.Lambert@yorkshiredales.org.uk has given me a summary of the route and Bill Brady sent me a Memory Map overlay, from what I’ve seen on the ground, it’s all there and the bridge over the Ribble at Selside is finished which avoids a big detour to Horton In Ribblesdale and back. I’ll forward you the mail if you want.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thanks pistonbroke. Yeah, I’ve heard it’s going to head all the way up to Northumberland when / if it gets funding. I’m going to start this trip at Tod as it’s easy for me to get there on public transport, meaning I don’t have to leave my car anywhere for a few days. Def want to do the whole route at some point, though I reckon this would be a good introduction. The lack of tarmac sound good, the amount of climbing not so good. Best stay off the pies 😉

Magazine feature anyone *cough* (or is it not that interesting a route)

BTW if anyone is mad enough to think about doing it solo, twice, they may want to read this http://www.bikemagic.com/event-features/flying-without-a-parachute/7188.html

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Magazine feature anyone *cough* (or is it not that interesting a route)

Try that little known periodical Singletrack from about 3 months ago 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Issue 62, Page 52 to be precise.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Wasn’t that only part of the route ? Or is my memory going. Hmmm, I’ll have to check the library when I get home. Thought I’d seen a magazine feature somewhere before 😆

rangerbill

That was the first bit of the Northern section that me and Chipps did on a cold miserable day, but thats a rarity in the Pennines *cough*.

Ive got the signposts going in next week for the Northern Section from Long Preston down to Kelbrook area then we will have a road diversion through to Wycoller until the final agreements are sorted for that section. Its suddenly coming together and its going to be a Loooooooooong ride (No doubt someone will do it all in 24hrs!)

If you email me ( william.brady@lancashire.gov.uk ) I’ll send you the Derbyshire Pennine Bridleway Ranger contact details (not got them to hand just yet) might be worth finding out if there are any planned works/diversions/large holes for your trip

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thank you rangerbill, I’ll mail you tomorrow. I thought it was a different part of the trail. Looking forward to being able to ride from the Lakes down to Derbyshire off road one day. Right, time to start doing some serious planning.

Did over 3 days year before last

Did the MTL 1st day clockwise and stayed the night at Mankinholes YHA, 2nd day Mankinholes to Hayfield then 3rd day Hayfield to Leek where my mate lives

Makes it 3×40 mileish days, all days were tough

Was good fun though

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Riding the Pennine Bridleway.’ is closed to new replies.