Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • riding steps, what's the best technique for these?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of steps near me that are PROPER tricky. Can’t grab any pics till the w/end tho 🙁

Anyone else know the ones at the Sandhills, in Sandy, Bedfordshire?
    Heading north from the viewpoint, east of the railway line & south of Sandy lane:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Biggleswade,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.128759,-0.280023&spn=0.006376,0.016104&z=17

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Hit the first step too fast, ram on the brakes and OTB.

nicko74

schrickvr6 – Member

Hit the first step too fast, ram on the brakes and OTB.

Pretty much my approach.
    Second attempt, too slow, so you end up pogo-ing down the first 2, before going OTB.

Personally I think TheBrick has the best plan, and it’s one that I’ve since had to explain to my colleagues as to why I’m loling

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

[video]http://vimeo.com/20531002[/video]

[video]http://vimeo.com/20531612[/video]

Diane
    Free Member

😀

downshep

“Hello Emergency, which service do you require?”

Walk and live.

Drac

Ermmm! So what was the trouble with those again?

rOcKeTdOg

i know, they don’t look anything do they? until you get to the top at saddle height and look down, i think the easiest wat is to bypass the steps as they are all uneven height and spacing and all are lower than the wooden lip, but hey i’m rubbish at riding as you can see
    [video]http://www.vimeo.com/20531684[/video]

timothecimmerian

We have already trademarked another “Steps of Doom” in the NW Alps RD. These are the steps at the bottom of the bridle path from the Lickeys Visitor centre down to the B4096 road…the steps double back upto the visitors centre and involve carrying the bike. I wouldn’t fancy attempting to ride those ones…. (disclaimer – I’ve not rode the ones in your video/photo either!)

cinnamon_girl

Good work rOcKeTdOg. 8)

RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t look too bad really, bmxable I’d say. Should be fine with 26″ wheels.

ski
    Free Member

Yep, they look steeper in real life, I have only ever walked them RD 😉

timmys

Don’t look too bad really, bmxable I’d say. Should be fine with 26″ wheels.

So he’s going to be fine on his clown bike then!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I was half expecting that last video to end up in the canal or the hedge. Bit disappointed 😈

Wozza
    Free Member

100mm Hardtail? I’d start right, weight over the back of the bike, roll down the right side, light front brake, heavy back, until the steps start to cut in from the left back over to the right, brakes off, rejoin the path and pop a wheelie off the last step.

Feel a bit bad that it’s mess that path up though.

This is all theory, I think i’d end up not far off “thebrick”s
    suggested route.

EDIT: I’ve just seen your bike / tyre combo… forget what I said, except the bit about agreeing with “thebrick”.

Drac

Good choice in Shoes RD.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’d be worried about catching my tyre on the lip of each step – wrists nice and low me thinks.

seosamh77
    Free Member

completely avoid the steps and cycle down the muddy but at the either side?

jam-bo

have you actually ridden them yet? or do we have to wait until p16 like the last thread like this.

speaker2animals

I hope the meet takes place and that it is video’d.

Personally I’d like to see all the “jump them” brigade go first but the trouble with that is; 1. The place will be shut down once the ambulance is called for the first “jumper”, 2. How many jumpers will turn up? My estimate – none.

Can’t wait to hear how you apply the advice on adjusting your spring rate/damping to your bike!

When giving advice on STW: ALWAYS assume that the rider is one of the Athertons or at least has their level of skill/gnarr and assume that the bike to be used will be the latest in full suss tech.

Scamper
    Free Member

As the first few steps are straight and a way a part, practice on them to get a feel, before running off onto the chicken run.

ddmonkey

+1 for missing the steps out completely, RHS looks best to me.

rOcKeTdOg

[Quote]we have already trademarked another “Steps of Doom” in the NW Alps RD. These are the steps at the bottom of the bridle path from the Lickeys Visitor centre down to the B4096 road…the steps double back upto the visitors centre and involve carrying the bike. I wouldn’t fancy attempting to ride those ones…. (disclaimer – I’ve not rode the ones in your video/photo[/quote]

I know them as “the hundred steps” and I’ve attempted to ride them a few times, never clearing them all the way though

DezB
    Free Member

I was just about to post something almost identical to Wozza! Steps are crap so go down the side!

Trimix
    Free Member

If you miss them out they are not steps then.

timothecimmerian

I know them as “the hundred steps” and I’ve attempted to ride them a few times, never clearing them all the way though

“The hundred steps”, quite catchy. Good effort attempting to ride down them; very uneven, some pretty high and a few crafty corners….I’ll have to have a go when it’s a bit less moist!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Im not surprised – its pretty sketchy just walking down!!! 😯

VanHalen

i went otb on s steep set of steps above bevendean. nice wheel size hole before the lip of the step caught my front wheel. to be fair i was mincing but i`d never been down there before and didnt know what to expect.

those dont look too bad.at least there is some material there to ride on.

philconsequence
    Free Member

imagine its just rooty singletrack and ride with a positive mental attitude 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

Anyone on here ridden the steps off the front of Box Hill (surrey) down to the stepping stones?

now thats fun 🙂

Tiger6791

Stuk van plas

mk1fan
    Free Member

What are you a conjoined twin? Front manual all the way. Stop being a gheyer christian girly transgender black jew gay lesbian vegiterian muslim and MTFU. Walkings for the able-bodied.

I think that’s everyone suitably offended.

rOcKeTdOg

NW Alps Jeyer aka Boz – Member

Im not surprised – its pretty sketchy just walking down!!!

some nice prickly gorse and bilberry bushes to fall into though 😕

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Just blat down them.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘riding steps, what's the best technique for these?’ is closed to new replies.