Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Riding near Preston/NW Manchester
  • pintofbestbitter
    Free Member

Hi folks,

am being sent to Preston as of August for work. It means a longish commute so to placate myself I've started to look at places to go night riding nearby. There's kinda two areas I'm interested in

1. Places local to Preston

2. Places between Manchester & Preston along the M61 (?winter hills, nr Grimeford)

3. And good riding off the M6 between lancaster & preston….in case I go up & meet my mate from there half way.

Suggestions on a postcard all VERY gratefully recieved!!

geoffj

2. Places between Manchester & Preston along the M61 (?winter hills, nr Grimeford)

Rivington – not quite the lakes or Scotland, but not bad.

neil853
    Free Member

loads mate, there's quite a few of us in the area. i lived in Preston for 18 months and now live a bit down the m6 (10 miles). emails in profile if you fancy getting out with us 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Longridge, Nicky Nook (Garstang), Great Hill, Rivi & Heapy Fold & White Coppice etc

pintofbestbitter
    Free Member

Nice advice guys thanks! Keep 'em coming.

Any websites or owt with route suggestions?

nell853 – cheers for the offer…will be in touch nearer the time!

Grimy
    Free Member

While your up preston way, I guess Gisburn forest wouldnt be all that far away either

simonfbarnes
    Free Member
    Shibboleth
    Free Member

Preston (Longridge) lad here, there's loads of riding straight out of my front door, and as others have said, Gisburn is very close. If you're riding with someone from Lancaster, I can't recommend Farelton highly enough.
    There's a bunch of us meet on a Tuesday night in a village called Chipping, just north of Longridge, so if you wanted to meet up with a group of like-minded riders for a local ride followed by a couple of pints of best, you'd be made more than welcome.
    We tend to mix our evening rides up between fell/pennine routes from Chipping, trips to Gisburne, Waddington etc. Always a good laugh.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

pintofbestbitter,
    The boggies site (SFB's link) is about the best repository I've found of routes in this area.

Shibboleth,
    I'm in Grimsargh and could be tempted to join your Chipping outing one Tuesday night if I may. Whats the distance/beer time ratio like?

snowslave

Trough of Bowland area round Dunsop Bridge, Dunsop Fell, Whin Fell etc

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Alright Ecky, I'm a former Grimsargh resident but moved up the hill last year! We tend to ride 2-3hrs and then pub for an hour…
    What's your email?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

What's your email?

Cheers,

ian<dot>scarborough<at>gmail<dot>com

grumm
    Free Member

Second Farleton Knott – and not much past Lancaster on the motorway really.

Vortexracing

I'm in Coppull (with neil853) as everybody has mentioned, Rivvy, White Coppice, Darwen tower, etc.

Also recommend Farleton knott for the meeting up between Preston and lancaster option. Not halfway but only just North.

Nezbo
    Free Member

There a group of us that go riding every tuesday night from darwen 🙂

Feel free to come along. It is quite a good pace as well 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

Chucky (aka Vortex Racing) are you riding this weekend? fancy a local one thursday? i can't make wednesday thats all 😕

Vortexracing

Can't do Thursday neil, got to take the eldest horse riding.

should be able to get out over the weekend, probably working saturday AM but how are you fixed for saturday afternoon round the Village for an hour or so?

May be OK for Rivvy Sunday Morning as well.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

"Can't do Thursday neil, got to take the eldest horse riding."

Mental image of an old horse on a bike…

neil853
    Free Member

can't really do sat afternoon sorry

i was thinking of going a little further afield sunday, lakes? Llandegla?

Vortexracing

can't do further afield if I'm working saturday, only 2-3 weeks of this working long hours malarky then its ride,ride,ride.

and yes Shibboleth I should have included the word duaghter in there.

pintofbestbitter
    Free Member

nice going!

Thanks everyone. Will be in touch when I start work…

genesis
    Free Member

Chances are the red and black at Llandegla will still be closed at the weekend only the blue and green open.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Chances are the red and black at Llandegla will still be closed

and nowhere near Preston…

rockitman

I will be communting from Manchester to Preston as of 15th March. Really looking forward to spring / summer night rides round Rivi 🙂

jo_h
    Free Member

Neil, if you're up for a trip round ambleside we're thinking of going on sunday – I was going to ask Chucky if he was free but sounds like work is still crazy then. (btw it's Jo from the snowy rivi ride on the black & pink stumpy)

We (me and Tom) also live in Grimsargh so might join you guys on a Chipping exped at some point if there's room for more?

neil853
    Free Member

Jo – we were thinking of a Grizedale route but to be honest but we're pretty easy. Get my email from my profile or get my contact details of chucky and we'll sort something out for sure. Sounds good though.

Vortexracing

Jo you coming tomorrow night or just Tom?

and yeah work is still daft, but nearly there. only a couple more weeks 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Preston/NW Manchester’ is closed to new replies.