Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding in and around Barcelona
  • sharkattack

So I suddenly own a van and I’m dying to get out on my first road trip. With winter just around the corner I was thinking that I’ll hold off for as long as I can and when I’m sick of shuffling around in my Big Coat and breathing in other peoples flu on the train to work, I’ll jump in the van and make a break for Barcelona. Just because I like Barcelona. I’ve only been there briefly on easyjet weekenders and found myself squinting off into the hills and wondering if there was anything out there.

Has anyone been riding in that area? I can’t find much from googling or pinkbiking but surely where there’s hills there’s trails and riders. Not looking for the riding experience of a lifetime just a winter break in a cool city with a few days on the bikes. Just curiosity at this point.

Also open to suggestions for winter riding spots. I will definitely be driving somewhere in November or December.

Mackem

Dunno about Barca riding wise but the weather might be a bit crap. Go South young man, get some winter sun in Andalucia and Murcia great riding too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Murcia great riding

Oh yeah…! Lovely riding around Murcia!

Not my pic, but one of the trails above Calblanque. If you’re around Portman/La Manga area, check out trails like Catfight, The Wall, Patatas Bravas and the Three Marias (Am wondering if Pimpmaster Jazz and others will see these names on their radars…!)
    This one looks like Patatas to me.

Ends up above a nudist beach. Which is nice.
    For the trails around La Manga, speak to the legend that is Geoff at http://bikinglamanga.com/wordpress/?page_id=152 Geoff is a lovely, lovely guy, a great rider and great company on a ride as well. Be sure to buy him a few at The Last Drop after an evening blast, though!

Riding in Barca is lovely. More bike lanes than you can shake a stick at and very well organised as a bike city, IME.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Done quite a bit of riding around Barcelona, there’s absolutely loads. There are hills to the east and north, my favourite is around Montserrat and the area around Tibidabo try Wikiloc as this has literally hundreds of routes to choose from.

emanuel
    Free Member

you can come ride with me if you like.

seadog101

If you are in the city itself there are some good just north of the town, heading up the hill to the Tibidabo fun fair park on the top of the hill.

Just work you way to the north edge of the city, and then find the trails and ride up toward the radio aerials.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If up at Tibidabo, go to Asador de Aranda for dinner…

Nom. Nom. And indeed, nom.

sharkattack

you can come ride with me if you like.

and where exactly are you?

Just work your way to the north edge of the city, and then find the trails and ride up toward the radio aerials

this is the stuff that caught my eye when i was there. vast hills with dusty lines scrawled all over them, i just didn’t know if it was bike friendly.

the stuff in andalucia and murcia looks amazing but it really adds on a massive chunk of driving. i’ll be driving to dover from the northeast and that in itself is a days work. i’m thinking barcelona is the absolute furthest i’d be willing to drive considering i’ll have less than two weeks.

emanuel
    Free Member

I live in bcn.that’s why I suggested you come for a ride.
    disclaimer.I really like huge long rides.there’s no other way to fit in a decent number of downhill bits.

If you search the forums you’ll find a thread from a year or so ago.I think grum started it.

the weather’s fine until november.usually.

the basque area looks great,from doug’s blog.never been though.

when are you planning on coming?

emanuel
    Free Member

as soon as you mention a 5-6h ride everybody just disappears..
    E-riding anyone?
    if anyone wants to go for a road ride I went out with the barcelona road riding group.
    def reccomend.again,disclaimer.they ride hard,the climbs are hard,long,steep.
    the paceline will spit you out the back.there’s always a headwind.
    great guys though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding in and around Barcelona’ is closed to new replies.