Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Riding at swinley
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon…
    Im hopfully off to swinley on monday…. Any recomendations or tips as ive not been there before…
    Cheers

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

A grand place to ride, no mountains but tons of singletrack. I found it pretty easy to get lost and still do.. Take a map off the Internet, the one from the centre ain’t great, but to be honest getting a bit list and following yer nose or other bikers is great fun. Ask other bikers where the man made bits are and basically if the trail is golden brown chances are you’re on a bike trail!

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers for that. Tbh I was most likely to follow my nose. Any other tips people?

monkeyboyjc

TBH your best taking the map for your 1st time at swinley… its quite hard to find the best trails if you dont know where your going, nothing is way marked – i’ve been 5/6 times (i’m not local) and i still get lost / find new stuff on each visit.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Follow someone, then when you lose them, follow someone else, then someone else, at random throughout the day – sooner or later, you’ll be back at the car park.

gee
    Free Member

There are a bunch of rides on my Strava account – George Budd.

daftvader
    Free Member

So stalking other riders is permitted? 😀

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member
    singletracksurfer
    jambo13
    Free Member

When you get there ask someone the way to ‘the labyrinth’; some great trails to start out with and at least 4 different ways down the hill that should kill a bit of time.

Otherwise as others say just ask anyone you see. We’ve been there 10 – 15 times now and just keep finding loads of new trails.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

This is the map I have found most useful. Make sure you get over to Deerstalker / Labrynth.

Enjoy!! and pay the £2 – most people don’t 🙁

(right click and ‘open image in new tab’ if you’re using Chrome – it’ll make it magically bigger)

daftvader
    Free Member

Nice one….. Was going to pay anyway. Thanks people. Hope the rain stays away….
    Cheers

5AM
    Free Member

Trails are running great at the mo, and will be fine even if we have rain (as long as we don’t have 2 days non stop.)

daftvader
    Free Member

Well thats an eye opener….. Top morning so thanks for all the tips… Think i’ll be buying the yearly pass.
    Cheers

alzore
    Free Member

Fantastic place and well worth the small amount for the day/yearly pass. Most of the fee is for insurance but a little bit goes towards the trails and makes maintenance and new trails possible. I’m a local and ride it 3 to 4 times a week. As stated not much in the way of hills but loads of singletrack. Did you map your route? It would be interesting to see how far a newbie to Swinley ventured and then could hopefully point you to other places to find next time. Glad you enjoyed it…

10pmix
    Free Member

My ride from last weekend which brings the above map to life….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmetwnCoCiw[/video]

scud
    Free Member

If you ever fancy an evening ride, i’m always more than happy to show someone around?

philconsequence
    Free Member

where do you normally ride from scud?

guessing you’re local 🙂

scud
    Free Member

I live in Ash Vale in between Aldershot and Guildford, right on Ash Ranges, so I can ride out through Ash Ranges, onto Tunnel Hill and over to Swinley without to much road work.

Plus i belong to a club that is based at Swinley, so know a great number of the trails (and helped build a few)

scud
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t really answer the question, with regards to where we normally ride from!

Normally ride from the car park at Broadmoor Hospital, the Look Out car park gets so busy these days, plus it means that you can drop down straight onto Seagull or any of the Crowthorne trails easily.

daftvader
    Free Member

@ alzore… 3hrs non stop. Got lost for an hour and ended up at bagshott. No idea where I went or how far as my comp sensor battery died! Still did some really nice flowy singletrack and some fast downs and some nasty little climbs and a manmade section with lots of berms that were lotsof fun. im only in basingstoke so am going to become a regular now.
    Cheers

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahh yes, i remember reading about you being involved with trail building etc, you’re a good representative of the club on this forum!

i’ve only been to tunnel hill once, we got a bit lost and although we found some cracking singletrack i know there was much much more we didnt come across. really busy at the weekends at the moment planning wedding stuff but would you be up for a play over at tunnel hill or meeting for a mess around in swinley at some point? 🙂

(i must warn you, i’m pretty our of practice so my riding skills aren’t exactly Rad to the power of surfmatt right now!)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

busy at the weekends at the moment planning wedding stuff but

WTF!! You getting married?!?!?!

philconsequence
    Free Member

silly yeti, you’re coming to the “wedding”

managed to persuade emsz to be your +1 yet? 🙂

scud
    Free Member

Phil,

Always up for a new riding mate (and a beer). I’m away most weekends at the moment, but can arrange for either a ride at Swinley or Tunnel Hill in the evening or a weekend in a few weeks time

Don’t worry about fitness or skills, i come from the school of weezing and holding the bars and praying side of riding….

philconsequence
    Free Member

Phil,

Always up for a new riding mate (and a beer). I’m away most weekends at the moment, but can arrange for either a ride at Swinley or Tunnel Hill in the evening or a weekend in a few weeks time

Don’t worry about fitness or skills, i come from the school of weezing and holding the bars and praying side of riding….

sounds perfect!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Would love to tag along guys, especially Tunnel Hill as not come across it yet.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ditto – out of interest, where’s the best place to park for Tunnel Hill? I have looked across from the B3405 but never had bike with me. Almost went for a recce on Friday but went to Peaslake instead (fortunately as I got a free Giant demo!!)

weeksy

Well next week with the clocks changing i fancy at least 1 evening a week over there. So more than happy to play if anyone else fancies a bit…

I rekon i can get there and kitted up for 3.15pm.

scud
    Free Member

Could have a bit of ride sorted out here…

Anyone fancy meeting up one evening or a forthcoming saturday?

allthepies
    Free Member
    slimjim78
    Free Member

I can do almost any evening, from 7pm. Or all day Sat
    Count me in, had the pleasure of Phil’s company on a ride out there once, and if his skills are pants, yours are wheezy, then I guess that makes me a wheezypants.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

managed to persuade emsz to be your +1 yet?

emsz – look it’s what phil wants, not me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks ATP – I had guessed that corner might be a spot. Is your name after a run on Pitch or does the YT clip mean that you are staring on the film?

theotherjonv

I’m planning to be nightriding on TH tonight – I know late notice but anyone interested? About 1945 for 90 mins of singletrack.

johnny

If there’s a ride on next week, count me in! I know swinley well, but have never ventured to Tunnel hill. will look out for posts… ta!

allthepies
    Free Member

Neither 😉

scud
    Free Member

So that we’ve a bit of notice, does anyone fancy a night Swinley ride the evening of the 28th say 7pm at the Car Park at Coral Reef?

Then possibly a Tunnel Hill venture in the future?

slimjim78
    Free Member

28th – check! Me +1

theotherjonv

Yes – but I’m away all next week and out every night this (except tonight, hence why a glance out of the window and lights are on charge)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Riding at swinley’ is closed to new replies.