Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Riding around south Knutsford, Cheshire… as non-existant as I think?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Work just outside Knutsford and with the sun out, I'm thinking about bringing the hardtail with me now and again to have a ride at lunchtime. Does anyone know of anything worth checking out south of Knutsford towards Holmes Chapel etc? Couple (not many) of BWs on the map and not sure what the footpaths are like around here (deserted but lots of shotgun weilding farmers I suspect)…

Suggestions?

Dave

sambob
    Free Member

its probably far too flat to be fun im afraid 🙁 your right about the farmers though 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Thats why I just ride on the road around here..

Sometimes take the CX to Tatton Park for a good few laps, but other than that Its pan flat.

Ive yet to find them, but there are a good few trails at Delemere which isn't that far at all from Knutsford.

Will be taking a recces there soon myself- make a change from laps on the CX..

barney
    Free Member

Radbroke Hall, perchance? 🙂

There's nothing of note at all, I'm afraid. Most/all of it is plugging through fields; there's a very slim and short piece of singletrack on Booth Bed lane (I think) on the way to Goostrey, but it takes you nowhere. You're right about the farmers (or gamekeepers), at least in Toft.
    On the up side, the roads are lovely and quiet (avoid the A50, natch), and a very pleasant pootle can be had, but there's really nowt of note off road, like. Use some of the back roads and explore Goostrey, and head over to Chelford before wending your way back past Jodrell Bank, Over Peover etc etc.. there are good back roads to Congleton if you want to go a little further.

I stand to be corrected on the off road stuff, as my info is a year or two out of date, but I grew up round there..

barney
    Free Member

Oh, there are trails at Delamere, but you'll not be riding to them from S Knutsford in your lunch hour..

snowslave

There is no local riding round those parts worth dirtying your wheels on Dave. You could maybe try Alderley Edge at a push, it's about 15 mins away in the motor or something like that. It's all footpaths and the locals will deploy servants to chase you off the land.

barney
    Free Member

Problem with Alderley Edge is that it gets very busy, even midweek – I suggest creeping back there when it's dark 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Barney – correct location 😉

OK, looks like it is the MTB wasteland I suspected it to be (which definately rules out moving around here too!).

Cheers all…

barney
    Free Member

You're normally Halifax way, aren't you DBW?

I can show you an awesome hilly 60 mile ride from there to Knutsford if you're interested some time (I'm in Holywell Green).

Compared to Calderdale it's terrible for mtb, although the Peaks aren't too far away, and there's some stuff around Macclesfield. As mentioned, the roadieing is good, but not quite as epic as round our way.

BTW – you commuting, or B&B while you're there?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I commute – 60 mile each way which is taking just over an hour on a normal day. But with a 6 month old which I want to spend as much time as possible with, my work/life balance is a bit knackered at the moment!

Think I'll stick to the commuting. Being able to drive home over the Pennines and get home and jump straight on the bike has to be worth a LOT!

barney
    Free Member

🙂

Drop me a line if you fancy going for a spin some time (although my knowledge of trails around Halifax is a bit limited – I tend to stick to Norland moor, Copley, Elland Park etc etc. I know a few nuggets though you probably know a whole pile more than me)

barneymarsh at the usual UK yahoo address

tom84
    Free Member

Hi Dave, sorry to interject, what happened about the forks, are they too dead to sell or sold already? did you get my mail?

Scarcat67
    Free Member

You're not far from macc forest, gradbach from knutsford there's lots of nicing mt biking around there !!

Diane
    Free Member

Macc is probably your best bet.

Rockdodger
    Free Member

Daveboywonder Hi, can you tell me where Headless Chicken actually is.I live in Norland and ride the moor and shitspreader hill(down if possible) But dont know where the chicken is.
    Thanks Steve

steve_b77
    Free Member

Barclays per chance?

There's a fair few lads who work there in IT who ride MTB's

But there's pretty much bugger all within lunch o'clock.

Get a roadie on your C2W scheme and use that at lunch

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thought about doing the lunchtime C2W roadie thing too. Might have a look when that re-opens later in the year.

Steve – you're gonna get a mail shortly 😉

Tom – you are too… emails been playing up so I could see your mails but not reply!

Barney – yes, next time I'm out I'll let you know. Might be out for a couple of hours this weekend sometime so I'll drop you a line.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I'm just down the road and also work where you do. It's a good location for the Peaks, Wales, Cannock, macc forest, Hanchurch and Delamere. Trails last night were in great condition 😀 Downside is you do need to drive to these places.

Having said that I also ride to work now and again and it's great, also plenty of lanes to have a blast around once you get to know them.

I've recently seen a pompino with a Charlie the bike monger sticker and an On-One Scandal singlespeed outside the gym. I've had to make my tricross fixed so I can be more niche!

velocipede
    Free Member

I live on the edge of Delamere – great place if you know where to go – maybe a good spot for the odd spin after work rather than lunchbreak?? Trouble is, its not exactly on youer way home!!! Maybe your better off working your lunch break and going home early to get a ride in!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Riding around south Knutsford, Cheshire… as non-existant as I think?’ is closed to new replies.