Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Ride to the Sun – a northern / Scottish Dunwich Dynamo!
  • fatmax

Thanks lemonysam – we are up at 209 riders as of tonight, which we are chuffed to bits with, word is obviously getting around.

scotroutes

You’ll be able to charter a train at this rate 😆

fasthaggis

Going to do a full coast to coast ,so a crowd of us are heading down to Maryport first 😀

fatmax

250!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Was just about to sign up and realised it clashes with l’eroica britannia, damn

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Been keeping an eye on this for a while but just noticed the website. Nice one and well done for organising a great route. Count me in.

fatmax

Thanks SP, much appreciated.
    The first email has gone out to those that have registered – all 276 of them.
    Not huge amounts to report – just to let folk know we haven’t forgotten about them and we expect to see them at Carlisle on June 20th!
    The chip shop in Moffat is still part of it (it’ll be quite a site to see a couple of hundred folk milling about on the High Street with bikes) and the cafe at the harbour in Cramond at the end are also on board too.
    We are just considering whether we need a wet weather option at the end – we might book out the Cramond church hall, as it would be a shame if people drifted straight off at the end if it’s a dreich morning.
    http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk – we don’t anticipate updating it regularly so please keep an eye on the Facebook page (Ride to the Sun – Scotland) and we’ll send the odd email to those that have registered.
    Cheers
    F

franksinatra

I registered a couple of weeks ago when I was not aware of this thread. nice to see a STW though.

Lokoing forward to it! Just need someone to quickly build the second part of the Waverley line to make transport arrangements easier!

fatmax

I’ll make sure that there is a sign for STW-ers at the start, so that you can congregate and chat!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My brother and I are in!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

As l’eroica brittania costs the same as the moon this year I have registered for this instead. Planning to still bring the 1966 Mercian I reckon

fatmax

310 entrants as of this morning!

fatmax

It keeps on growing – we now have over 400 entrants!

scotroutes

Is anyone looking into coach/truck transfer? I thought I might call round for quotes for taking a group from Edinburgh to Carlisle. I’d be looking for full up-front payment before booking anything though.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There is ony one problem about that route. The B7076 is mindnumbingly shit and has a really draggy surface. You’d be much better to ditch the Longtown diversion, head through Gretna, Annan, Hoddam, Dalton, Lochmaben, Moffat and carry on as you were from there. Nicer less tedious route.

fatmax

Scotroutes – we are getting organised via mini-buses from Edinburgh, pals throwing bikes in, then the guys getting the train down. We just don’t feel that we can start to organise travel for other folk, and hope that people sort themselves out in a similar way.
    wanmankylung – I sort of know what you mean, it’s not the most interesting road in the light. However, it is easy to follow, fairly easy cycling, got good sightlines, and is relatively sheltered from the wind. We anticipate running it again the next year, and I think that would be the time to look at alternative routes to Moffat, or alternative routes e.g. A7, Langholm, Gordon Arms, drop into Peebles / Innerleithen and into town over the Granites, or to start on the east coast, perhaps Alnmouth.

bigG
    Free Member

I’m in and have persuaded the Mrs to act as soigneur and team driver. I’ll try to resist having a sticky bottle handover all the way up the 7 mile climb…

hopefiendboy

tagged

fasthaggis

Any Carlisle locals know a nice route down to Maryport ,or is the A596 down through Wigton not too bad?

Thanks

karnali
    Free Member

Take train to import then ride out on coast to all on by and on towards silloth. Then just pick a route on a map as direct as possible to Carlisle all quiet roads 596 is bloody awful

fasthaggis

Thanks.
    I will bin the Maryport plan and sort out a route to Silloth .

fatmax

Hi
    Just a further wee update. We are currently at 493 people signed up – AMAZING!!
    We know we will get a chunk of people not turning up (we think standard paid sportive drop out rate is 20%, and we are free), but whatever happens we’ll still have a great number – more that we originally thought.
    We did send an e-shot out a few weeks back (7th April) which has a few updates, but please let us know (info@ridetothesun.co.uk) if you didn’t get it.
    Use of Bitts Park in Carlisle approved with the Council, chip shop in Moffat still on board, Shand Cycles offering to help with a grub stop at the Crook Inn (Tweedsmuir), torm.cc offering deals on their jerseys, and we have the use of the Cramond Kirk hall at the end, and the Fresh Start charity will be serving up tea/coffee and bacon sarnies.
    Not long now – less than six weeks.
    We know that the train’s bike spots are now taken.
    Please continue to check out @RidetotheSun and ‘Ride to the Sun – Scotland’ on Facebook.
    Cheers
    Fraser

fatmax

We did a recce last night in beautiful (but a little cold) weather, and it was fantastic. Chicken kebabs at the chip shop in Moffat. Put the pics up on the Facebook page if anyone is interested.
    Sat at the seafront at Cramond at 4am, just getting light, 100 miles in the legs and a beer in hand…bliss!

piemonster

Registered.

Mainly for the chips.

fatmax

501 entrants!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should be a good route, Beeftub is a grand climb – without a belly full of chips at least!

fatmax

Updated gpx download on the website as of today.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Righteo – who from Edinburgh is doing this?

I’m considering riding down.

fatmax

There is a group of us heading down with a Transit van of bikes while most of the guys get the train down.
    Written description / route guide on the website now for those that are retro and don’t have a Garmin etc.

fatmax

The fantastic Markus Stitz (Capital Trail organiser and inspiration) has a spare space in his car, travelling from Edinburgh. Get in touch via @reizkultur if that’s of use.
    Perhaps a touch of rain in the middle section. Bring a jacket.

franksinatra

Cheers guys, that was great and I (and I am sure others) really appreciate the effort you put into organising things. We had a blast, it felt like a proper mini-adventure and everyone needs a bits of adventure in their life.

Thanks again.

imnotverygood

Yes, well done fatmax and friends. That was really great fun & this event deserves to go from strength to strength. Never ridden any distance on the road at night and it is surprisingly therapeutic. Watching all those blinks red lights curl away into the night was a lovely sight. Nice route too.

fasthaggis

Yup,well done Fraser,Gary and team for making it happen.

Gutted that I couldn’t make the ride (injured a couple of weeks ago ),I had been looking forward to it for months.
    Still,it didn’t stop me enjoying a bacon roll when I picked up my mates at the kirk.They had a great ride up with some good company.
    How many do you think rode it in the end then?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Only just found this thread, I’d have loved to have had a go. Here’s hoping it’s running next year.

fatmax

Thanks for the lovely comments, very much appreciated. We enjoyed organising it and it was really enjoyable last night – the lights snaking into the distance, the bikes piled up outside the Moffat chip shop, the banter as folk cycled alongside people they hadn’t met, and four guys singing at the top of their voices as they cycled along – brilliant.
    Gary and I have just had a chat – Saturday 18th June is two days before the solstice and also a full moon. I’d imagine that this is what we’ll go for.

fatmax

And lovely to have someone introduce themselves as ‘Frank Sinatra’!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Did it, loved it, in diary for next year. Thanks Gary and Frazer and also the volunteers at Crammond. Some so called professional sportive organising companies could learn a thing or two from you.

The string of lights winding up the Devil’s Beef Tub at midnight was a sight to behold.

fatmax

slowpuncheur – that’s very kind. We are just two guys that fancied having a go at organising something a bit different – though it’s a definite homage to the DunRun.
    June 18th is confirmed for next year, exactly the same format.

fatmax

http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk AGM / board meeting / planning session this weekend (a few beers and a blether). If you rode in 2015 let us have any feedback on things you’d change or wannt added. If you didn’t, let us know any queries.

fatmax

Over 200 riders already signed up for 2016.
    Will post a new thread in the New Year.
    Cheers to those that have entered.
    Oh, and we had a wee article published in the tenth and last Ride Journal.
    Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Ride to the Sun – a northern / Scottish Dunwich Dynamo!’ is closed to new replies.