• This topic has 261 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 262 total)
  • Ride London rollcall
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Anyone else doing the Ride London sportive this weekend?

Looking forward to it, doing it as part of the British Cycling club challenge (basically 4 riders in a team and you each do the 100 miles and then your teams average time is put against other clubs average) so looking forward to the extra competitive element to it.

Weather forecast not looking too great so ive ended up packing a ridiculous amount of kit for a single days road ride to cover all the eventualities!

DT78
    Free Member

I’m not, but appears everyone else who I know who rides a road bike is… good luck!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I am, looking forward to it but also apprehensive especially with the weather forecast. Headwinds for first 50 and tail for last 50.
    Also packed a ridiculously huge amount of kit for one dAys road ride.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

I’m doing it with the missus on a tandem. Not looking forward to the stupid o’clock start Sunday morning to drive to London, park and then ride to the start for our ‘wave loading time’ of before 7! Lets hope it either pees down or is dry, can’t be doing with showers – rain, get wet, don waterproofs, boil-in-the-bag, strip-off, repeat!
    Right faff going up to Excel yesterday to register – don’t know why they couldn’t send it in the post. Worth watching the biking display though, never seen trials type stuff in the flesh – WTF?

LardLover
    Free Member

My mate is racing in the handcycle section, against Paraolympic and World Champion (or both!) Handcyclists. He’s under no illusion he’ll be picking up a medal.

If you see a guy in a bright orange handcycle with deep section carbon rims give him a cheer please, it’ll make his day! (His name is Sean).

Thank you.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

We’ll be cheering from our balcony with a beer 8)

geetee1972
    Free Member

We’ll be cheering from our balcony with a beer

Most likely you will be in doors sheltering from the wind and the rain.

lcj

I’m in, kayak and sails packed!

mattjg
    Free Member

yes

jam-bo

Yep. 7.07 start. I’ll be in a fetching baby blue BLISS jersey.

I think rule 9 may apply.

nedrapier

spot the difference similarity

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/long.html
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/london
    http://www.metcheck.com/uk/dayforecast.asp?day=2&zipcode=london
    http://www.bbc.com/weather/2643743?day=3

If the easterlies could hang on until about 9, before they swing round to big southerlies, that would be awesome! And not so much rain, please. at least until after 12 ish.

mattjg
    Free Member

“ellow alert of rain
    0015 on Sun 10 August
    To:
    2345 on Sun 10 August
    Updated 7 August at 10:37
    There is the risk of severe weather during Sunday as a depression tracks over, or close to, the UK. At this stage there is more than average uncertainty in the forecast, but the public should be aware of the risk of heavy rain, strong winds and large waves, sufficient to disrupt transport and make outdoor activities dangerous.

This is a particularly volatile situation, and this warning is likely to be changed as the event approaches.”

lol. (my bold).

will
    Free Member

Well as long as i’m not standing in the rain at 5am I don’t mind. Back by 10am anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’re volunteering at the hub at Newlands Corner. I’ll take a brolly I think…. 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Luckily my house is a couple of hundred metres from the route so chance of a change of clothes!

Lol the profile of Leith Hill on the “Surrey Hills Challenge” poster at sign in, made it look like the North Face of the Matterhorn.

captain-slow
    Free Member

I’ll be there in the Club Challenge – if I was doing it as an individual I’m not sure I would turn up with the weather we have coming

Oh and yes the registration thing is a joke. Really efficiently managed once you have spent a whole day getting there. Totally pointless.

mudshark
    Free Member

Currently morning looking better so will have to ride fast but can’t see me hitting my 5 hour target given the wind and general dampness.

mattjg
    Free Member

Really efficiently managed once you have spent a whole day getting there. Totally pointless.

Amen, though I guess the whole thing is to stop a black market in places. It’s an awful lot of faff, but it’s once in a lifetime.

If that weather warning stays in place as worded then the RL organisers have a tough call to make.

Nobby

Just left registration

The trade stands are selling out of………..

Rain jackets.

Some half price bargains at Endura though.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Just think that it won’t stop anything. Now I have my stickers I could just as easily pass them on as if I had received them in the post.

Hey ho. Probably only moaning because I am not looking forward to getting up at three in the morning to get wet.

mudshark
    Free Member

I wish I had bothered to get a new tight fitting jacket, mine’s fine except it’s a size too big as lost to much weight and so pretty draggy.

mattjg
    Free Member

Hey ho. Probably only moaning because I am not looking forward to getting up at three in the morning to get wet.

entirely reasonable, I am not a morning person either, especially when morning means the middle of the night

Nobby

Time is merely an abstract concept created by man…..

😉

mattjg
    Free Member

true but mornings are bloody well created by nature

belugabob
    Free Member

there is more than average uncertainty in the forecast

Considering the average amount of uncertainty in our forecasts, there could possibly be hail/snow/heatwave/tornadoes

Good luck to those of you who are taking part.

njee20
    Free Member

Spannering at Newlands Corner for me. I foresee a day of repairing punctures on filthy BSOs. 🙁

Nobby

Spannering at Newlands Corner for me. I foresee a day of repairing punctures on filthy BSOs.

If I stop will you give mine a full service?

Actually, the brake pads I ordered haven’t arrived yet – don’t suppose you might have some SwissStop greens knocking around? 😉

hooli

I will be there slowly making my way around. Sure it will be a great day, even if it is a “bit” wet.

njee20
    Free Member

If I stop will you give mine a full service?

I’d sooner do some work on a bike owned by someone who understands what lubricant is for. I draw the line at taping bars though, I’m shit at it!

Can’t help on Swiss Stops, I think the order of the day is £5 Aztecs, yours for just £40 😉

Clearly I’m prejudging what I will be faced with, but I imagine the riders on nice bikes are the most likely to be self sufficient! I expect said owners of BSOs will also be grumpy at having to walk up Newlands Corner in the rain to get their puncture fixed.

Can you tell I’m excited!?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looking out of the office window (I can see the Dome/o2) it’s quite cloudy, bit thick enough to carry a bit of rain but it ain’t raining yet..
    No wind eithers.. 😉

crazy-legs

Spannering at Newlands Corner for me. I foresee a day of repairing punctures on filthy BSOs.

I foresee a day of unreasonable demands and questions as to why you don’t have the necessary ceramic bearings to replace the worn out ones on their £3000 wheels…

😉

mattjg
    Free Member

I didn’t see any BSOs amongst the bikes at registration, and the riders looked like they mostly rode a bit.

mattjg
    Free Member

Email just in from RL advising mud guards, layers, overshoes and taking long finger gloves.

May have to take my Camelbak!

mudshark
    Free Member

Not sure about long fingered gloves, overshoes will be useful though. Doubt many will have mud guards.

mattjg
    Free Member

I have an Ass-saver type thingy. Reluctant to put it on my lovely titanium road bike!

njee20
    Free Member

I’d go no gloves – it won’t be cold, soggy gloves are far more unpleasant than just having wet hands.

njee20
    Free Member

Apparently I have to be at Newlands for 6am, and have to approach it from the North, which is a significant detour.

Grumble Grumble Grumble

nedrapier

Predictions for Sunday’s weather are changing hourly and we have many contingencies in place

Obviously they have to sound like they’re prepared, but exactly what contingencies could these be?

Hairdriers for the road?
    Theme park ponchos for all participants?
    Tyre warmers on the wets for the pace car?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Apparently I have to be at Newlands for 6am, and have to approach it from the North, which is a significant detour.

Nick I will keep an eye out for you. I’ll either be in a blue-ish ‘Make a Wish’ top or a Pink Rapha one and on a very new looking white Condor Leggero.

Would be good to say hi!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Ride London rollcall’ is closed to new replies.