Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rhenigidale MTB route – Harris
  • grum
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw a pdf of this somewhere, does anyone have a link? Thanks!

grum
    Free Member

Anyone?

After a bit more digging I think I know the route but which way round is best?

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Richard Moore and Andy McCandlish suggest clockwise in their book.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks druidh

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. I have in-laws in Lewis and I’ve been promising myself to try that loop for a few years now.

chickenman

Clockwise you get the long, not too gnarly descent back to the road and nice technical descent to the Geo half way along the coastal route; downside is the push up on the other side.
    Anti-clockwise: You’d require some Downhill skills and a good head for heights to clean the descent to the beach at the head of the Geo.

grum
    Free Member

druidh – yup will do. Might even take some pics 🙂

Thanks chickenman, just found your post in another thread actually. I would be doing it on my own so mebbe I will go for the less hardcore option.

Looking on this map – http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=118733&y=911508&z=120&sv=118733,911508&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=764&ax=118733&ay=911508&lm=0

Is there any point taking the longer contouring path out towards Shieling, or is it best just to go straight up and over?

epicyclo

Take a diversion to Molinginish too while you’re at it. My favourite spot.

The turn off:

Bit boggy for most tastes though.

Take care if doing it anti-clockwise. My wife’s uncle (local) said someone went over the edge a little bit back. It’s a long way down.

Personally I reckon it’s best done with running shoes and no bike 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do it both ways, if you have the time. I prefer it clockwise too, but you might not.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rhenigidale MTB route – Harris’ is closed to new replies.