Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reverb confusion (though I'm easily confused)
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Dropper seatpost purchasing seems to be a bit of a minefield at the best of times. Everyone has an opinion on how rubbish each one is without many people commiting saying ‘Get that one’. And fair play, none are cheap so who’s going to stick their neck out.
    I recently decided to go the way of the Reverb based on the fact that they have supposedly ironed out many of the issues for the 2012 model and the ones I’ve seen appear to be working well and a slick bit of kit.
    CRC (other online bike shops and LBS’s are available) have 3 options available. 2012 MMX @ £205, 2012 @ £219 and a 2012 MMX with bleed kit for £254.
    Does anyone know the difference and why the pricing is different? Naturally the mention of the bleed kit implies that a bleed kit is included which must affect the price. Yet this is the option I ordered and no bleed kit arrived, nor the ‘Enduro collar’ which I was under the impression was standard with the 2012. Is this correct? Am I asking the wrong people? Are CRC clearing 2011 stock under the guise of 2012 product? Did I choose the wrong week to give up smoking?

I have a nice new partial build on my dining room floor with a new size seat tube and no standard post to be going on with. I should send my Reverb back and ask for the one with the bleed kit as I paid for it (I have emailed them but am aware that their inbox is enorm and often left unchecked) but I have itchy thigh’s and a new bike with which to scratch that itch and the patience of a 4 year old at the check out.

I guess the right and proper thing to do is to get some patience, send my one back as ‘not as described’ and go and see a friendly LBS so I can describe exactly what I’m after and won’t even need the bleed kit.

Ah, thats better. Well thanks for your help all!

CaptainSlow

MMX means its matchmaker comaptible. You just need to unscrew the little bolt thing on it then attach it normally if you dont use matchmaker.
    I bought the 2012 mmx with bleed kit from crc and am very happy with it. I combined the purchase with a sale and a 10% voucher thing and paid ~£200 ish.

One of these things that you dont need until you actually have one…:)

I’d get the bleed kit one if I were you because if you shop around it wont be that much more expensive.
    Check Merlin, bike.de, Rose Bikes etc and see if your LBS will get into the ball park.

If you dont use it already get some carbon paste – do not overtighten your seat collar or it will not work properly and will probably fail quite quickly.

bol

I’m guessing what CRC are offering is an OEM version of the 2012 post without the collar or bleed kit. If it said it should come with one though, give them a call.

The aftermarket version comes in a red white and black box, complete with bleed kit and collar. As far as I am aware they only do the MMX version now, which basically means the clamp you get with it can also hold your SRAM shifter and Elixir brake.

jimr80
    Free Member

i just brought one of these with everything included and this will sound dumb, but the collar you speak of is that the silver alloy clamp thing? Where does that go? I have scoured the instruction and can’t find mention of it any where 😕

variflex
    Free Member

i just brought one of these with everything included and this will sound dumb, but the collar you speak of is that the silver alloy clamp thing? Where does that go? I have scoured the instruction and can’t find mention of it any where

Dont worry, your’re not the only one. Still dont know what its for.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I like the MMX option then, though I have juicy brakes so will need to investigate further to see if it will help me to keep the bars tidy.
    I would rather have the bleed kit so I’m not dependant on a bike shop for tweaking, which is what I ordered.
    bol, do you have a number for them? I can only find an email address.
    The idea of the ‘enduro clamp’ is to restrict the amount of drop. Basically puts stop on the shaft so you can drop to a set position short of the full 125mm. I saw it on a recent review complete with a statement that it is supplied with 2012 models.
    Captain Slow, thanks for the carbon paste tip. I reckon this little nugget of info will have saved my post!
    I will get mine back in the post and hope to receive another with bleed kit next week. Ta all

faz083
    Free Member

Don’t bother sending it back, ring CRC and tell them to send a bleed kit surely? Worth a try first, else it’s going to be a while before you’re riding!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reverb confusion (though I'm easily confused)’ is closed to new replies.