Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Revelation oil levels and weight – are they going to explode?
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

Hi all, just done a lower leg service on my 2011 Revelation RLT ti fork, it was quite straightforward, I used the lower leg service kit from tftuned.

I have 2 questions:

1) Am I going to have any problems using 5wt oil (this is what came with the tf kit) where Rockshox recommend 15wt?

2) What is the effect of putting more than the recommended 5ml in the fork lowers? Rockshox recommend 3-8ml of 15w for the 2011 RLT ti. But bikeradar recommend 15ml here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-rockshox-revelation-lower-leg-service-24649/

There are LOTS of questions on lower leg services on this forum which are helpful but non which answer the questions I’m asking (that I’ve found), please help 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

1) not as such, but I doubt the TF stuff is 5w if its from their lowers kit, thicker stuff keeps everything better coated – which is all the stuff in the lowers does so-

2) Nothing (other than waste oil), as above its just to cover everything in oil. The bike radar is for old Rev (dated 2010), so go with the rockshox advice for your fork.

*unklehomer is not in anyway a prof. fork fettler, just a keen enthusiast.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Haha cheers for the info (and disclaimer) 😀

It says 5wt on the bottle and seems a little less viscous than the stuff that came out of my forks – there was hardly anything, maybe 10 drops or so, I’m really glad I did it.

plyphon
    Free Member

My TF Tuned Lowers service kit came with a bottle labelled “Lower Lube Mix” which is 15wt. (And a bottle of 5wt stuff for the damper)

As per this picture found on TFTuned site.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Revelation-Parts

You might want to ask TFTuned why your kit came with only 5wt and not the lower lube mix, maybe?

PJM1974
    Free Member

5wt should be for the uppers – the compression/rebound circuit and some lube oil in the air spring.

The lowers should have about 5ml of 15wt oil…but I’ve used 10wt in mine for ages and I haven’t died. Nor have my forks.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Oh, I do have the lower lube mix but I thought that was for soaking the foam rings in 🙁 Oh well it looks like they’ll need draining tomorrow!

It’s a bit misleading really since the only thing with ‘oil’ or a weight of any description is actually not for the lowers (the kit is called ‘lower lube kit’) whereas the stuff you’re actually supposed to put in the lowers has non of the weight/description written on.

plyphon
    Free Member

It could be labelled a bit better yea, I had to email them myself to find out what the lower lube mix actually is. Apparently it’s “their own blend of oils and lube which is roughly 15wt” – think that’s what they replied with.

You got half of it right tho, it is great for soaking your foam rings in!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ah, when I bought a kit it was only lowers stuff, so less space for confusion. 😆

Website tells me they have expanded their range.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I swapped the 5wt lower oil today for the ‘lower lube mix’ and had a quick test ride around the local trails.

It’s amazing how much better my fork feels now (before the lower service), nowhere near as sticky (it didn’t even seem bad before) and it feels a lot more progressive and active now.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of thinking to myself: “Oh, these rebound adjusters are supposed to fall off all the time, I still have mine” the other day, now I’ve been tweaking the settings, it’s dropped off down a rocky descent 🙄 I really hope RS have changed this design on the newer Pike fork!!

Northwind

I think about 90% of Rockshox profit is from selling replaceable rebound knobs- I just remove mine and use an allen key, which just means I lose them in the garage instead.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah I took the intentional decision to remove mine, on a rcoky decent, in the wet… and just an allen key too. All the really cool people don’t have the adjuster any more… 😳

Northwind

Weight reduction innit

slinkybike
    Free Member

RS recommend 15wt but you can run lighter weight oil, I mix redrum and 5wt 50/50 which gets you to about 10wt and it works well it allows the oil to circulate a little more than straight 15wt does. It helps to also puts some slick honey or o-ring grease on the bush’s of the lowers. As to oil levels in the lowers don’t stress too much a little more is better than two little you have to really fill them to get them to hydro lock (hydro locking is when the lowers are filled with enough oil to stop full travel)

plyphon
    Free Member

My rebound nob requires a pair of molgrips to get off – seriously! No chance of mine falling off. I wonder why.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Revelation oil levels and weight – are they going to explode?’ is closed to new replies.