Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Retro video games
  • Harry_the_Spider

Fired up my PS1 last night for the first time in over 10 years.

Me and my lad will be lost in Gran Tourismo 2 for the rest of the month.

Harry_the_Spider

…and Driver.

stumpy01

Silent Hill…..

Syphon Filter….

Time Crisis (if you’ve got the gun)

Resident Evil….

GT2 used to suck up hours of my life though…

simon_g

relevant and interesting: https://medium.com/message/playing-with-my-son-e5226ff0a7c3

Father starts his son on the oldest retro games and advances a generation per year till he gets to present day.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I got a Gamecube for Christmas…Mario Kart is still amazing and had forgotten how great Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 & 3 are. Kelly Slater Pro Surfer is still fiendishly frustrating though!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

PS2 for Xmas 😀 Me and Mike the biking Lycan have been hitting Downhill Domination pretty hard. Karpiel, Gt, Specialized, Sheep, Llama, Sasquatch, thunder and lightning, Japanese people in hot springs it’s got it all and more.

PS1 with pals? One game to rule them all…

metcalt

Hours of fun to be had here too –

http://www.ssega.com

There’s also a Nintendo one which I think is snesbox.com but can’t remember, google will help.

I found that Ecco the Dolphin is still ridiculously hard all these years later.

D0NK

started eldest (5) on PS1 just before xmas, he likes Abe 1&2 limited success but he’s a fast learner (Limited selection of my old games he can play, not enough co-ordination for driving games, having a younger brother he already scraps too much with the fighting games are out, he’s no patience for RPGs and survival horror… on the whole I think not). Got him a cheapo tablet for xmas tho so is on minecraft currently.

PS1 with pals? One game to rule them all…

will have a look at that

will try to sit down and read that later. Has to be said I’m in no rush to let my kids anywhere near current consoles, multi-player may be “proper” gaming but quite frankly the gaming fraternity has way too many reprehensible arseholes in it

Cougar

Father starts his son on the oldest retro games and advances a generation per year till he gets to present day.

That’s a brilliant read, thanks.

binners

Cheers for the link metcalt. The amount of my life swallowed up by Sonic on the mega drive, and Mario Kart on the SNES was ridiculous. Aaaaaaaaah… carefree student days! I’ve got the Sonic app, and my 10 year old daughter absolutely bloody loves it! She now regularly beats me on Mario Kart on the Wii too. 😳

chambord
    Free Member

Always fancied another run through Blast corps to see if it was as hard as I remember. Maybe I’ll dig up an emulator from somewhere.

And that blog simon_g linked to is a good read 🙂

Northwind

Very slowly playing through final fantasy 7 again. It is still the greatest game ever made, obviously. And I got Lords of Midnight for my phone 😆

tthew

PS1’s not that retro. We had the old Astrowars cranked up over Christmas!

As well as GrandTourismo, the orginal MarioCart is brilliant on PS1. My favourites was Ico and Rez, but they are one player only.

pirahna
    Free Member

Doom, Hexen and Heretic http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/doom

loddrik
    Free Member

Abes Exoddus, best game ever!

ski
    Free Member

Elite 😉

Elite Dangerous released this month and it’s still got the feel of the original

Cougar

PS1’s not that retro. We had the old Astrowars cranked up over Christmas!

Mine’s broken, sadly. As a kid I discovered that upping the voltage on the PSU made the screen really bright. Sadly I hadn’t seen Bladerunner at that point and didn’t know that a candle which burns twice as bright burns for half as long.

Still have Scramble and Firefox F7 though. Found Scramble set up at some retro computing event not so long ago, managed to do all the levels on a first play-through; quite chuffed, must be 20 years since I last played it.

vinnyeh

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

There’s some stonkers on here. Leisure Suit Larry….

theflatboy
    Free Member

Before Xmas I got an N64 emulator running on my laptop, using the PS3 controller. That + Mario Kart and Goldeneye = best train journey up north for Christmas ever. 🙂

Cougar

There’s some stonkers on here. Leisure Suit Larry….

Do do do, dodododo do, do dododo dooo…

I picked up the remake (“Reloaded”) on my tablet a couple of months ago. It’s still a giggle (and the new one has a couple of extra puzzles and scenes).

edhornby

Mum and Dad brought Astro Wars to our house and I didn’t know until I heard the intro music ‘Der Ner, ne-ne-ne-ne-neeer!’ from the other end of the lounge 😀

spacemonkey

@simon_g: interesting yes, but also sad that his child spent THAT much time indoors playing video games.

By age 6, he was beating entire games on his own. He finished The Legend of Zelda on his own, and then finished the very difficult second quest with some mapping assistance.

100+ hours of game time on those alone I imagine. Wrong IMO.

flicker
    Free Member

I need an N64

4 player goldeneye, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing. Fantastic.

Original Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Driver on the PS1.

Socom Navy Seals online on PS2 (was a Beta tester for the network adaptor and online play about 6 months before it went public).

richmtb

I’ve got a SNES emulator running on my android tablet.

I forgot how bastard hard all the games were. Super Ghost N Goblins is currently kicking my arse

jimjam
    Free Member

richmtb

I’ve got a SNES emulator running on my android tablet.

I forgot how bastard hard all the games were. Super Ghost N Goblins Ghouls and Ghosts is currently kicking my arse

It’s very hard without a controller. I’ve got that emulator on the macbook too. I can get about half way through (the first half) but my hands lock up in pain after contorting myself that long.

epicsteve
    Free Member

In the early days (early to mid 1980’s!) of gaming for me it was Football Manager on the ZX81 then the Spectrum and then Lords of Midnight that I wasted all my time on.

In the 90’s it was PC games like Master of Orion II, the Wing Commander series of games then moving onto the XCOM games. Somewhere in there I also got into first person shooters like Doom and Wolfenstein.

simon_g

100+ hours of game time on those alone I imagine. Wrong IMO.

If that was over (say) 3 months, it’s about an hour a day. If you allowed a few hours over a weekend, it could be even less during the week.

Kids don’t spend every waking hour outside doing wholesome healthy things, before coming in when it gets dark and doing their homework then reading educational books.

Worse than spending that time indoors building something with Lego? Or watching cartoons? Or making things from loom bands? Playing games doesn’t have to be at the expense of everything else.

tomhoward

Y’all appear to be forgetting micro machines v3….

molgrips
    Free Member

PS1 retro? Pah.

Oric 1 emulator installed on my work laptop…

spacemonkey

Fair comment simon_g if the little fella was spending his time similar to your proposition. Less so if he’s in front of the screen from the moment he gets in from school to the time he pootles off to bed (day in day out). Like most things, moderation is the key.

tandemwarriors

Oric 1 emulator installed on my work laptop..

I replaced my C64 with an oric Atmos, which then got replaced by an Acorn Electron when I started GCSE computer studies.

Happy Days.

smatkins1
    Free Member

No Fear DH mountain biking on PS1. I don’t remember it been any good though. Any of the Tony Hawks Pro Skater games on the other hand…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I love my retro, I have got quite a good collection now 🙂 I got rid of loads of stuff and only kept the rare. Currently collecting rare Megadrive titles.

colournoise

Fired my old PS1 up when I found during a house move in October.

Bought up a few games I had but seem to have lost. Currently wading through some classics.

Wipeout 2097 & Wip3out
    Gran Turismo
    Metal Gear Solid
    Tomb Raider 3
    Driver 2
    Bushido Blade

Daren’t even think about firing up FF7 or FF8…

Drac

Another World is on offer on PSN for £2.49 just now.

Cougar

I replaced my C64 with an oric Atmos, which then got replaced by an Acorn Electron

Why were you successively downgrading?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

BTW if anyone’s got any rare or mint sega things for sale or gathering dust please let me know.

eskay

My kids got my old mega drive out at my parent’s over Christmas. 4 way micro-machines brought back memories. What a good game that (still) is.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

BTW if anyone’s got any rare or mint sega things for sale or gathering dust please let me know.

Not sure if its the sort of thing you’re looking for but I was having a sort out before Christmas and have got a master system 2 and a megadrive both boxed with all original instructions/packaging etc and a load of games.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hi Mark,
    What have you got? Condition of box etc? Happy to pay the going rate if it’s something I’m after. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Retro video games’ is closed to new replies.