Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Restaurants in Birmingham – recommendations?
  • boondock

Morning all,

Coming to Birmingham at the end of the month for the other half’s birthday, got the hotel sorted and now looking for a nice restaurant – what does STW recommend? As usual, bewildered by the trip advisor choices and reviews.

Happy to eat pretty much any food type, this is a one off so budget can be on the high side….so where should we go?

Love a good curry, but aware these can be hit and miss unless you go with local knowledge.

Cheers!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Took my Mum to Purnells for 80th recently. Very good taster menu. Other options were Opus over the road, simpsons in edgbaston, and I was intrigued by Carters in Mosely.

If you are after a curry, just head for the Balti Triangle.

somouk
    Free Member

Could always head to shimla pinks for some posh curry and you’re still on Broad Street so close to other bars. The German Market will also be on so you can walk down there if you have suitable warm clothing and sample all sorts of food as there are hundreds of stalls.

Houns

Edmunds or Purnells. I do like MPW steak house too

votchy
    Free Member

Nandos!

prawny

Purnells, definitely.

Edit – Where are you staying? Could make a bit of difference. Also, german market will be on by then so you could give her a massive sausage.

agent007
    Free Member

Pushkar on Broad Street do fantastic Curries and have great friendly service, nicer than the more famous Shimla Pinks in my opinion.

z1ppy

The inlaws have just been to MPW’s & recommended it. We tried the Argentinian place at the bottom of the cube the other week, could be very nice, but the buffet was very tired & really the meat nothing special, disappointing as it has been recommended to us. Piccolino’s (italian) in Brindley place was good when we went earlier in the year

Final edit: Jamie’s shouldn’t be overlooked either, not as up your own arse as I expected 😉

pondo

+1 for Purnells – took Mrs Pondo there as a one-off birthday posh restaurant treat, as it’s way beyond where we’d normally be. Was a bit worried we’d feel a bit out of place, but they couldn’t have been nicer, and the food was amazin. 🙂

If you like curry, I’ve not been there but Indian friends tell me I need to go to Asha’s, not that far from Purnells as it happens. 🙂

prawny

Asha’s is good, went there for lunch last Christmas, really cheap at lunch times too.

For a really cheap curry, Milans the other side of the queensway from Asha’s does an all you can eat buffet at lunch for a fiver, nice it is too.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Digbeth dining club

Link

Houns

Now that looks good!

Scamper
    Free Member

Lasans for posh curry – but book well in advance.

They also have a smaller diner out hall green way – a lot cheaper but with still the quality.

disco_stu
    Free Member

+1 for Lasan ( they do have a special offer for Sunday’s on at the moment)
    Simpsons is pretty awesome as well.

lunge

My favourite subject this.
    Expensive
    Purnells – just brilliant, modern food but you’ll need to book 3 months in advance.
    Adams – new Michelin stared place, very, very good and very intimate.
    Simpsons – Classical, too class food, a but less experimental than the top 2.

Less expensive
    Opus – fine dining but not silly money
    Anderson bar and grill – best steak I have ever eaten and a great wine list. This is my “go to” restaurant in Brum
    MPW at the Cube – good food but you do pay a premium for the venue. But the venue is awesome.
    Lasan – basically, posh curry. But bloody good posh curry.
    San Carlo – really, really good Italian place. Been there years and consistently very good.
    cheaper
    La Truc – very laid back restaurant that does very good simple food
    Bodega – cracking South American food and awesome cocktails. Very lively and quite cheap.
    Gingers bar – Purnells bistro bar, good simple food and more great cocktails.

grahamg
    Free Member

Don’t forget Purnell’s brasserie – simpler, cheaper, less likely to be booked up.

My bro is a chef there so I had to put it in 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Restaurants in Birmingham – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.