Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Renault Megane – Clutch Questions (2)
  • garage-dweller

Hi

Looking at buying a 53 plate Megane 1.6VVT (petrol) as our second car.

On the one we've found the clutch bites really high in the pedal stroke. I know this isn't uncommon in cars with hydraulic clutches, which from the feel of the pedal I'd guess this is, but it started me thinking of 2 questions:

1) In the Megane is this high biting point a sign that the clutch is close to being knacked? Or is it normal?

2) Does anyone know what a clutch for one of these costs if it were to need doing?

You may suggest that I buy an Octavia (but we won't) and I already own a diesel Mondeo estate so no need to suggest that either. And please please don't suggest we get an A3 – we're losing one (bye bye company wheels) and I can't find a decent 5 door one in our budget. 😆

Cheers
    Kev

lunge

The clutch is just very high and very harsh on Meganes, you'll get used to it in the end through.

as an owner, I will say "don't buy one". The electrics on mine have been a constant source of annoyance and expenditure.

antigee

scenic 4wd 52reg 75k last week paid just under £700
    bite is high no real warning
    had a few renaults and think you have to work out does the price reflect what you are going to pay out for repairs
    plenty around if not happy move on

Flaperon

I had a Megane 1.6 as a hire car once. I stalled it several times a day. Give me my unrefined VAG diesel any day. Clutch control subtlety? You're joking!

Seriously, from my unpleasant experience with the car it sounds completely normal. There's a time lag on the fly by wire throttle. Brakes are great though.

garage-dweller

THanks all.

That kind of sums up our experience on the clutch.

I thought SAVAGE was the word for the brakes. I've driven plenty of cars with more powerful brakes and ten times the feel. Still Mrs Dweller thinks the brakes are ace and it's going to be her car so that's good enough for me.

Touch wood, all electrics seem to be ok (for now)!

goon
    Free Member

56 plate Megane here from new. Only ever stalled it when it was my fault. Electrics no problem for me. Brakes were harsh when I started driving it, but I'd forgotten about that until it was mentioned here.

If anyone ever claims the rear window opened on it's own I know why….;O)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Renault Megane – Clutch Questions (2)’ is closed to new replies.