Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Renault Grand Scenics – anyone know about them?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Still considering a second car and thinking a mega-load carrier might be a good idea especially as they are about as cheap as a similar age/milage Fiesta.

What are they like on fuel? Are they typically French for reliability? (I’ve had a Citroën which was hideous but a Renault Clio I had was actually really reliable and a nice drive).

grtdkad

I have a 3.0DCi Grand Espace. Great load carrier, but mine has been the most unreliable car I have owned. Hate it now.
    Checkout the Renault forums before buying.

transporter13
    Free Member

shite

my old dear had one…..spent more time the the dealer than it did on the road in 3 years.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My mate had 2. Both were utter crap regarding reliability. He bought 1 for £8.5. and sold of for breaking for £1000 3 years later.

The other he sold after 1 year due to unresolvable electrical problems.

i did try to tell him about French car unreliability.

When they went, he liked them.

Things that went wrong that i remember laughing about:
    cat sensor
    air sensor
    dashboard connections
    radio
    central locking
    all computer text turned to french and he couldn’t turn it to English
    exhaust

Terra

I had a Scenic which was okay but was written off when someone ran in the back of it. So I replaced it with a Grand Scenic, which was simply the worst car I’ve ever owned, engine problems, dashboard failed, windscreen wipers stopped in a deluge (on a very busy dual carriageway), engine cutting out and refusing to restart, misfiring and numerous other problems.

I wouldn’t have another. Like a previous poster says check the Renault forums.

allthepies
    Free Member

thread closed then 😉

iainc

we had a 54 plate Scenic from new and sold it when it was 4 yrs old. It was okay, but as others have said electrics were not the best. In the time we had it there were maybe 4 or 5 out of service garage trips – windows, steering column(twice) and some other stuff. I wouldn’t have another one. We replaced it with a CMax – much better.

midlifecrashes

Test drove one when they were first out, kids kept holding up random bits of trim and bodywork that weren’t attached saying “what’s this bit for?”. Honda Stream for older, reliable occasional 7 seater load carrying. 1.7 for mpg, 2.0 for oomph.

big_scot_nanny

Our friends had one, and after 1.5 years literally everything in it was broken or not working properly. Fan (off or FULL), aircon (pfft), seats, levers, mirrors, boot, doors, engine, brakes, electrics….

everything fecked.

Kev

Trekster

scotabroad has an old Zafira which seems to go on forever with some tlc now and again for mot

Oder C-Max?

Lots of people round here running older Jeeps, Freelanders(?) and Shoguns as 2nd , low mileage 2nd cars.

stumpyjon

Had two Scenics and a Clio. The first Scenic was alright although the electrics started to play up just before we sold it. Wouldn’t start, took it to the dealership, said they couldn’t tell waht was wrong and next time it wouldn’t start to bring it in 🙄

The second Scenic and Clio were nightmares. Cost us a fortune in repairs and depreciated to nothing in four years, we’re still. Minor things like air con etc failed quite quickly, the Clio regularly broke coil springs and needed injection coils replacing, also had an airbag go off when it shouldn’t, took Renault nine weeks to sort that (during the repairs they destroyed the dashboard, blew all the head lights and damaged the ABS system. The Scenic out did it though when it sheared the end of the drive shaft off. (don’t forget the Clio bonnet openning saga which Renault blamed on drivers not servicing the bonnet catch).

I will never never touch a French car again. Have a Honda CRV and a Volkswagen Touran now, the CRV has givn us no problems in 5 years (and does get used a bit off road), the Touran’s only two but has also been fine. If you’re looking for a mega load carrier you could do a lot worse than a diesel Touran, planty about as well.

ssnowman
    Free Member

Don’t forget French cars have a unique optional extra – when you hit the brake pedal, the indicators come on 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Renault Grand Scenics – anyone know about them?’ is closed to new replies.