• This topic has 48 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Recovery drinks (that taste good)
  • Mounty_73

I have been using the SIS Rego chocolate flavour recovery after long rides, but my god its gross!

Any others worth trying?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

For goodness shakes stuff tastes pretty good.

joshvegas
    Free Member

A glass of milk.

Tea

Coffee

Tomato soup

Hot chocolate.

A sausage roll

Crisps

Icecream

Milkshake

Bag if chips

Can of coke

Cake

Biscuits

Just eat something its way mire sensible and actually enjoyable.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Milk and or nesquick

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Instant malted drinks i.e. Horlicks by another name.

wors

Milk

P-Jay
    Free Member

Beer?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cider has vitamins AND minerals.

3litres of white lighting.

bearnecessities

20 Embassy.

beej

Any chocolate/banana/strawberry milk/milkshake. Very little difference between those and the commercial “recovery” mixes, unless you are training at a high level or elite athlete.

What are you recovering from? How long/hard are the rides and how often do you do them? You say “after long rides”, but if you’re not riding again for a few days then it’s not as important to start refuelling immediately.

mikey74
    Free Member

+1 for milk, or milk-based shake, such as Frijj or Yahoo.

Personally, I have a glass of milk and a handful of mini pretzels after a road ride or run that has been hard enough to require some kind of recovery nutrition.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Full fat Milk is as effective as anything else.

joshvegas
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    20 Embassy.

Kill or cure?

stevious

If you’re at home then some milk with something in it will taste better than powdered stuff. I use a blender to put banana/Nutella/nuts in a milkshake.

When that’s not practical, the Goodness Shakes stuff or OTE soya stuff tastes really different to SIS. OTE prob my fave.

jimjam
    Free Member

For Goodness Shakes stuff tastes lovely.

Kuco

Milk taste **** horrible. For Goodness vanilla is nice tasting.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Kuco – Member
    Milk taste **** horrible

Said no on ever.

funkmasterp

Just stand in front of the fridge eating things straight out of the packets and drinking stuff straight from the bottle. Only decist when your wife yells at you to stop 😉

Kuco

no on?

CaptJon
    Free Member

IIRC despite a high profile set of stories about the powers of milk as a recovery drink based on a study funded by the dairy industry, it contains something which delays protein uptake. I think i saw that in a GCN video, but can’t find it right now.

I like For Goodness Shakes chocolate powder.

Kuco

It’s this video, jump to 1:30.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWt5ezROr3g[/video]

joshvegas
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member
    Just stand in front of the fridge eating things straight out of the packets and drinking stuff straight from the bottle. Only decist when your wife yells at you to stop

Variation of this

deadkenny
    Free Member

Beer

or tea

Though I’m a coffee lover but tea is more refreshing after a ride.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I do love an STW supplements thread 😆

Really depends on what you are recovering for. You need to consider your recovery product in the context of your wider diet and how that fits in with your training goals.

Just stand in front of the fridge eating things straight out of the packets and drinking stuff straight from the bottle. Only decist when your wife yells at you to stop

This has been known to happen. You know you’ve taken it too far when you are eating butter with a spoon 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For goodness shakes are just milk. Look at the nutritional content and it looks very similar, if not identical to normal flavoured milk – similar calorific value, similar amount of fat and carbs, similar levels of vitamins and minerals. I struggle to see what it has over milk. If it looks like milk, smells like milk, tastes like milk, it probably is milk. The marketing shpeel used to talk about how milk has been found to be the best recovery drink you can have, so For Goodness Shakes is milk with added oomph.

This industry is just full of so much BS it is hard to cut through it all and find the truth. Experts disagree and will point to studies that support their claims, so we have no chance of finding out the truth.

But why is everybody in such a hurry to recover? Recovery is a natural process your body does. If you’re an athlete and are getting off the bike at the end of a hard mornings ride and, after a few hours break are going to hit the gym for the afternoon or go and run a half marathon, then fair enough, but if you’ve just got off your bike after your sunday club ride and are not doing anything else for the rest of the day and probably for a couple more days then why the rush to recover? It makes no difference if you recover in 1 day or 3 days unless you’re doing some other form of very strenuous exercise.

bainbrge

In my limited experience, Torq banana and mango tastes OK. Wiggle banana tastes ‘a bit funny’. The latter is half the price.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@wobbliscott, i assume you are aware there are quite a number of people on this forum that are indeed riding 5-6 days a week including some very intense work.
    Don’t really see whats wrong in wanting to maximise recovery so the next (and subsequent) sessions are better quality.

km79
    Free Member

Milk and a banana. Anything else is just falling for marketing.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Chocolate nesquik made with full fat milk 8)

bearnecessities

@wobbliscott, i assume you are aware there are quite a number of people on this forum that are indeed riding 5-6 days a week including some very intense work.

Allow me to step in.

@wobbliscott, i assume you are aware there are a hysterically tiny number of people on this forum, that are riding 5-6 days to a level that would require much more than a decent meal and a bit of a kip. Otherwise it’s all bollocks

andywnpt

Might be bollocks but Torq Choc and Mint tastes pretty good, especially with a chunk of ice cream mixed in 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

So because the majority are fat lazy weekend warriors, then those that are actually interested in getting the best out of themselves deserve to be ridiculed.
    Good to know.

In the meantime, my totally unscientific study of 1 has concluded a proper recovery drink works best, so will keep using it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member 

@wobbliscott
    , i assume you are aware there are quite a number of people on this forum that are indeed riding 5-6 days a week including some very intense work.

They do, and doesn’t alter the fact there is an immense amount of BS in sports nutrition and recovery. There’s a lot of money behind it and everyone has a different opinion with some vague evidence that seems to result the same as the other opinions. Pick one, seems to work, that’s proof enough. Except pick some alternate, that works too. Which is right? None of them, all of them, or it just doesn’t matter.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Actually, screw all that. I’ve found the perfect one, especially for me as a Ketchup addict 😀

http://www.theonion.com/article/heinz-introduces-new-quick-recovery-sports-ketchup-56612

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Torq, mix by rider weight, some great flavours

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A relatively balanced mix of carbs & protein will see you right.

So, at a push a pint of beer & a bag of nuts.

For the high end stuff you’ll neeed something with HMB in it.

Bottom line is there is a difference between the 2, though for your average Joe it’s probably not that important.

So yeah, something’s better than nothing but nothing beats something that’s tailor made for the job.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I have been using the SIS Rego chocolate flavour recovery after long rides, but my god its gross!

make it with milk, not water.

+1 for milk, or milk-based shake, such as Frijj or Yahoo.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Long life milkshakes either uht or chocolate soya milk are under my desk at work.

I do have a tub of torq choc mint too.

Prefer real food but often fail to bring that to work and hard to keep it fresh.

Liquid, but if protein and carbs will see you right.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Re that chart up there… 50g of sugar in a For Goodness Shakes. Not a great choice, unless you want a lot of sugar.

beej

Re that chart up there… 50g of sugar in a For Goodness Shakes. Not a great choice, unless you want a lot of sugar.

True, but taking Torq Recovery as an example, the recommended serving for a 65kg-80kg person is 125g of powder.

That contains 83g of carbs, of which 47.5g are sugars. 27.5g of protein.

So, a Frijj or FGS gives pretty similar sugars to the Torq stuff.

(I use various stuff – Torq Choc Mint when training hard/after hard sessions, various flavoured milks when doing lighter training loads)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Recovery drinks (that taste good)’ is closed to new replies.