Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Recommend me tyres for Coed-y-Brenin
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

heading there in May currently run Advantage front and Aspen rear is there anything better as coming over from Ireland

muddyground
    Free Member

You could get away with those provided you didn’t go ballistic – something with a bit more volume and side wall resistance would mean a bit more tyre reliability and fun.

smell_it
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, it’s a trail centre, run what suits your riding.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Fantastic place there! You’ll really enjoy it, but be careful, it’s not for the faint hearted! Certain sections just aren’t rideable unless your a professional downhill racer! So be warned! Apart from that you’ll utterly enjoy yourself!
    Oh yes, tyres!!! Well I use panaracers xc’s and they’re excellent for that type of terrain. Enjoy but be careful at the same time! 😀

Northwind

Obvious troll is obvious.

What size are the ones you have? Coed-y-brenin is largely made of big round rocks, it doesn’t demand massive grip or toughness but a bit of volume does help.

fairhurst
    Free Member

Dual plys for CYB as it is very rocky!

if you havent ever been you will enjoy greatly,it is one of my most favorite of all places.

continuity
    Free Member

Be fair, Northwind, there are sections of CYB (e.g. the final rocky descent of Abel on the MBR) that will really trip up a beginner, especially if it’s greasy.

OP, your advantage is fine for the back. I’d slap a high roller on the front.

Northwind

What’s unfair about it? Giving people totally false advice just out of malice is pretty low. Hopefully he’s too obvious for anyone to fall for it.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Northwind, are you calling me the troll? Surely not! Everyone is entitled to there own opinions! Where not all riding gods you know! I think it’s very disrespectful of you to make accusations like that when I’m trying my best to give advise! You should try and take it in, because you might learn something!!!

nosedive
    Free Member

if you aren’t used to rocks under the wheels something around 2.3 in size might give you a bit more confidence. dont worry too much though, its all rideable, tbh i would just go with what you have rather than making last minute changes.

ignore the nonsense above, its good fun and there is a good mix of riding there

continuity
    Free Member

Even if he is posting tongue in cheek; it is fair advice. The black route will kick newbies in the ass.

Case in point: http://i.imgur.com/tq83k.jpg

Would you send your girlfriend down that in the wet without the slightest warning?

Northwind

Come on… “Certain sections just aren’t rideable unless your a professional downhill racer!” You think that’s fair or helpful advice?

rhysw
    Free Member

High roller/minion front, Larson/crossmark rear.
    No need for duel ply
    Nothing at C.Y.B is that tech, it’s just a trail centre after all.
    Really good fun tho

abrown
    Free Member

i went there last weekend and loved it! don’t worry about youre tires, as long as you’re comfortable with the ones you have then ride them! it’s amazing riding there, be sure to do the dragons back or beast! they’re awesome rides! and as for the “some bits arn’t ridable” i did struggle on a couple sections but just meant lifing the bike up a rock or something, 99% is do able by anyone!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Certain sections just aren’t rideable unless your a professional downhill racer!

So true, I normally ride my Santa Cruz V10 around there it is so challenging. There is no way even Sam Hill could get around on a lesser bike.

Signed, S. Peat Esq.

Back in reality. It is fine, I wish I was fitter so I could ride the downs faster. It is a bit technical, some decent riders that we went with last really didn’t like it because it was too tech for them.

Continuity, that is a great pic but it makes it look harder than it actually is.

See this crappy video of mine for an example of the MBR. The first and third clips are part of the trail in continuitys pic.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEWE33oVKjk[/video]

FWIW I use Maxxis HR front and Larson rear and they are fine here.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have a new Highroller II for the front 2.4 exo possibly put the advantage on the rear?

palmer77
    Free Member

I was there last weekend and had Contis Mountain King II ProTection which did the job nicely. I can also recommend the Beast, however we took a few short cuts to miss out some of the fire roads.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/OTAyOA%3D%3D

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There’s loads of grip there even when wet, it’s just somewhat bumpy and rough on rubber. Simply avoid narrow tyres, or tyres with particularly skimpy sidewalls, the sort of tyres that don’t play so nicely in rocks. Maybe put the existing ADv on the back and get another one for the front.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use a pair of Specialized Clutch SX and they were fine for CyB (and Snowdon Rangers the day before!)

Paceman
    Free Member

Your normal tyres will be fine.

singlespeedstu

I’m constantly amazed at the dedication rupert shows to his cause.
    OP.
    Are you on for a win? Tyre choice can make all the difference between being right at the pointy end or an also ran.

Klunk
    Free Member

you can’t call that route the beast palmer77 not without doing Big Dug!

steve_b77
    Free Member

What ever you ride on and are used to is the best bet IMHO.

I use Specialized Purgatory/The Captain, my mate has Rubber Queen/Mountain King, another rides with advantages. All on different styles of bikes.

It’s rocky, but not loose rocky so don’t worry too much

schmiken

I ran a 2.4 Ardent on the front and a 2.0 Fast Trak LK on the rear on a 29er.

shortcut

Round ones. Preferably black!

mboy
    Free Member

I’m constantly amazed at the dedication rupert shows to his cause.

+1 😕

Maybe he’d think many of us are (or should be) pro downhillers if he saw us ride… Though I suspect if any real pro DHer’s did see most of us ride they’d tell us not to give up the day jobs! 😉

FWIW, it’s a trail centre. Not ridden at a trail centre yet that has been particularly demanding of tyres, other than some a bit rocky. They’re designed to be very grippy, so any tyres should work well. What the OP has on his bike right now will already do nicely, no point in spending money where it’s not needed.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Mboy cheers going with highroller II on front and advantage rear save my money for beer 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

I have done the official beast before and didn’t rate big dug, this way I did pink heffer to the road which I prefer before taking a short cut to the adams family.

Sandwich

Shotcut FTW.

Klunk
    Free Member

you also miss out beefy and hermon (though it’s not the rooty nightmare of old these days)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Wasn’t the original “what tyres for….” thread about CyB?

eeh, back in the day they were as common as threads slagging off CRC/On-One/Superstar…

I first rode there using Fire XCs some 11 years ago. Have also used Conti Vert Pros there. Both of which have been the forum’s “must have” tyre for a period of time. Neither of them caused me problems, or killed me. Advantage/Aspen will be fine. Enjoy!

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

I really can’t believe the ridiculous advise some of you are giving! Coed-y-brenin is NOT child’s play! And I’m telling the op to be cautious and some of you are telling him not to listen to me!!! Seems like there’s a few irresponsible idiots on here! 🙄
    There’s a lot of black routes, and black routes in case you don’t know mboy and northwind means SEVERE!!!
    I bet you’ve never done false teeth have you??? I fell off coming down there and could have broken my jaw if I hadn’t had my met parachute on!!!
    Be careful is all I’m saying and where plenty body armour for extra confidence.

bwaarp
    Free Member

You don’t and I repeat you don’t need dual plys for coed-y-brenin. Something about the size of Maxxis 2.3 (these are more like 2.25’s) High rollers are just fine.

99 percent of the stuff there is rollable, so if you are a n00b that rides slow just shift your weight over the back a little and stay loose. Your bike will plow over all of it.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I really can’t believe the ridiculous advise some of you are giving! Coed-y-brenin is NOT child’s play! And I’m telling the op to be cautious and some of you are telling him not to listen to me!!! Seems like there’s a few irresponsible idiots on here!

It obviously is child’s play….my brother rode the Red Bull Run (the equivilent black run some 15 years ago) when he was 7. All of it…. without getting off.

If you think professional downhillers can only ride the black run…..well you’ve never seen a proper DH course.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Oh god you don’t need a 2.4 High Roller II, they are huge and similar in size to the old 2.7 tyres. Your gonna **** yourself climbing and you’ll find yourself slower than your mates on the shallow stuff unless you really hammer the pedals. Go with a 2.4 ardent.

singlespeedstu

rupert.

You’re trying a little too hard now. 😥
    If you’re not carefull people might start to cotton on.

shortcut

This is what I was riding last time I was there. With Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegals!

Next time it’ll be a 100mm hard tail 29er probably with Ardent 2.25 and Crossmark 2.1. Just the standard ones tubeless on Stans! No probs.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Simple speedstu- I think you should stop and think sometimes…. 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

You’re trying a little too hard now.
    If you’re not carefull people might start to cotton on.

Hmmm, just analysed a few of his recent posts, his spelling and grammar, little things he says and implies… I’ve definitely got a very short list right now of who rupert is an alter ego of!

Any IP address experts about for a bit of detective work to stop this troll?

singlespeedstu

rupert.
    If you knock it on the head for a while then come back after a few weeks you’ll get away with it for a bit longer. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me tyres for Coed-y-Brenin’ is closed to new replies.