• This topic has 31 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • recommend me some reading books for my 7yr old lad please
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

looking for some inspiration really. my 7 year old is a little below average in reading ability and to be honest a bit lazy with learning (the irony being that he’ll watch the documentary channel over cartoons). can anyone recomend me some books that would interest him to read himself?

usual sort of boys stuff… aliens, monsters, adventure etc.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The Harry Potter books of course.

A lot better than I thought they would be.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Potter is too grown up for 7yrs old in my opinion as some words and ideas are more advanced (and the books quickly progress into even more ideas death/murder which you might not find appropriate), but you could perhaps read them together.

I’d say Mr. Gum, Raold Dahl, Spiderwick Chronicles, Flat Stanley, Horrid Henry, Captain Underpants and Magic Treehouse (an American Import)

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Obviously all Roald Dahl books +1
    Billionaire Boy – David Walliams
    Horrid Henry range +1
    Beast Quest range
    Famous Five
    Flat Stanley
    Captain Underpants +1
    Mr Gum series

Admiralable
    Free Member

Enid Blyton – Famous five, Secret Seven, Magic Faraway tree.

Roald Dahl as mentioned above.

Our boy loved me reading Magic Faraway tree or BFG to him. Get him to join in as well. Get him to read anything you see though as well. From Crisp packets, Milk cartons, Magazines you get the idea though….

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I disagree about Potter. Our kids at that age loved them and are growing up with them.

I totally agree about Roald Dahl though – brilliant for all ages.

rhys
    Free Member

Harry Potters are brilliant but not all 7 year olds will cope especially if they are reluctant readers, the font is small, otherwise Beast Quest but get the first series and in sequence.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

My son has just read “Diary of a whimpy kid” and loved it. First time he has ever finished a book and wanted to get the second one straight away. He is 10 but the book lends itself well to younger children as it is very easy to read, with lots of fun drawings etc.

Nick

Second Diary of a Whimpy Kid, Astrosaurus and Beast Quest also worth a look, my 7 year old loves them.

restless
    Free Member

Horrid Henry

midlifecrashes

+1 Beast Quest. Beano, Dandy and Dr Who annuals all cheap in the sales too.

chiefgrooveguru

I enjoyed the Willard Price ‘adventure’ books at that age. Not sure if they’re still in print though!

miketually
    Free Member

My daughter laughs her head off at the My Brother’s Famous Bottom books: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brothers-Famous-Bottom-Jeremy-Strong/dp/0141322381

I’d agree with Harry Potter being too old for a 7-year-old. My daughter’s an above average reader and would struggle a little with reading them herself, and the content would scare her silly, I reckon.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Holes is great – I read it as an adult and loved it.

mudpup
    Free Member

Humphrey the Hamster is doing it for us at the mo’

aP
    Free Member

Capt WE Johns of course.

Bunnyhop

The ‘Beast Quest’ books are very popular with 7 year olds.

timber

Stig of the Dump – Clive King
    Roald Dahl as above
    Horrible Histories

wallop

Swallows and Amazons was my favourite book as a nipper.

face-plant
    Free Member

Arthur Ransome’s swallows and amazons books they are brilliant for kids easily one of the best children’s series ever written. they had a big impact on my life.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Mr Stink is the current favourite in our house.

grtdkad

+1 for Dahl. All of his kids books plus his kids poems and re-writes of the classic tales (Red Riding Hood, 3 Pigs etc) – they’re fantastic.

Horrible Histories will be good too…

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Astrosaurs, whats not to like, space, dinosaurs etc etc

My seven year old likes any book about football also still into Enid Blyton, Famous 5/secret 7 stuff – a bit dated & some odd name choices but they make me snigger

philconsequence
    Free Member

people on here keep going on about the no country for old men books…

Flaperon

Roald Dahl.
    Famous Five (up to you whether you go for the original or edited versions, just make sure they’re in sequence).

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Cpt W.E.Johns too as per aP, I remembered a book “The Boy Biggles” from when I was a kid & got it for my kids, they love it – tigers, leopards, black panthers, crocs and boys with guns walking around in jungles – can’t go wrong 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks, really interesting suggestions and loads i had’nt heard of.

sadly harry potter is a wee bit too advanced for him (my daughter was reading them at 7).

CountZero

All of the Arthur Ransome books are a fantastic read, easy to understand and follow, and really quite exciting. One nice factual touch is that the boat Goblin that features in We Didn’t Mean To Go To Sea is a real boat and she still exists, now owned by The Nancy Blackett Trust. Ransome was living on her on the Broads when he wrote the book.
    I would also suggest the Horatio Lyle books by Catherine Webb. They’re set in Victorian London and Horatio is a mad inventor/private detective, a sort of Steampunk Sherlock Holmes. He has two sidekicks, a rather posh boy, and a very smart, cheeky girl street urchin. Excellent books, I can’t recommend them highly enough. She’s also written four other books, the first two, Mirror Dreams and Mirror Wakes, are stunning, very much in the style of Roger Zelazney, but your lad might struggle with them a bit, but certainly worth a try. They’re a good adult read, too. I loved them. Catherine had the first one published when she was fourteen…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Dorling Kindersley staged readers are good, lots of different topics. Half the battle with lads is finding something that they want to read & that is age appropriate – my son is an avid reader and currently is into “Henderson Boys”, which are a series of books about child spies in WW2. Probably be a bit too much for the OPs son (my lad is 10 & topping out the reading scale at school) but certainly something for the future.

Before Borders Bookstores all closed we’d go about once a week & Josh would just take himself around the kids section, usually ending up sat somewhere with a book, often factual, that he’d half read before we bought it!

yossarian
    Free Member

The hobbit
    The bogwoppits
    All of the Arthur Ransome stuff
    Willard Price books were bloody great!

yossarian
    Free Member

Oh and the iron man by ted hughes

What a book!

aP
    Free Member

Hmmm… At 10 I was reading CS Forester.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some reading books for my 7yr old lad please’ is closed to new replies.