Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Recommend me some dvds, videos, tv series, documentaries………
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m bored out of my mind with a mangled collarbone and am in need of some new things to watch.

My favorite shows are things like the wire, mad men and soprano’s. I’ve seen just about every mtb’ing dvd going, but love all extreme sports.

i,ve seen most of the great well known movies from the last 20 years, but not so much of the less hyped films.

What are some suggestions for good stuff to watch?

surfer
    Free Member

The Shield

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Walking Dead
    The Killing

comedyphil
    Free Member

The West Wing.

surfer
    Free Member

I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the West Wing but lost interest when they brought in some new characters.

jon1973
    Free Member

you could try The Shield – I thought it was great. Seven seasons should keep you going for a while.

Dexter is also good, as is Breaking Bad.

Documentaries – any of the Attenborough stuff (dirt cheap on DVD now). I loved Yellowstone and Galapagos as well.

Loads of good stuff out there.

kudos100
    Free Member

seen the shield and walking dead (awesome) heard about the killing, us version is out soon?

saleem
    Free Member

Whickers world double dvd

kudos100
    Free Member

ah yes, breaking bad, loved the first season. I shall *ahem* get hold of a copy of the second and third

maccruiskeen

Documentaries:
    ‘Poor Kids’ and ‘Evicted’ both by True Vision

On DVD, sort of a bit like documentaries but not quite ‘London’ ‘Robinson in Space’ and ‘Robinson in Ruins’ all by Patrick Keiler

If you like the Wire the ‘Generation Kill’ is from the same stable

The Killing started on C4 last week, you should be able to catch the feature length first episode on catchup

Planet Earth on Blu-Ray (if you have a player obviously) – 5 discs and none of it is dull, in fact most of it is outstanding.

Cougar

I have a two months’ free trial subscription to LoveFilm going a-begging if you’re interested?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You got that letter over the weekend too Cougar?

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m guessing you have to sign up and then cancel? Would be interested, thanks cougar

uwe-r
    Free Member

The end of Dexter series 4 is amazing ballsy TV. Worth watching 4 series worth to get there.

Cougar

You got that letter over the weekend too Cougar?

Everyone did, I think.

I’m guessing you have to sign up and then cancel? Would be interested, thanks cougar

Well, I’m fairly sure that’s not what they want you to do, but yes. FWIW, I’m very happy with my subscription, I think it’s well worth the money.

Email with details sent.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Flight of the Conchords

I borrowed Band of Brothers, it was worth watching, but not brilliant.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My mates are raving about ‘Broadwalk Empire’.

project
    Free Member

Yore not brad wiggins are you.

You can still walk around outside you know,and get a lot of exercise.

Lots of free resource on itv played , demand5, bbc iplayer,and itv.com.

Klunk
    Free Member

generation kill

atlaz
    Free Member

If you can speak French or live with subtitles, try finding Spirals a French crime drama. There’s been three series and they’re really engaging.

Lifer
    Free Member

Engrenages is amazing atlaz! Good shout, probably my favourite crime series (Except series 1 of the Wire).

I worked my way through the Adam Curtis documentaries recently, Century of the Self, Power of Nightmares, etc.

Have also found a site with the whole of the World at War (greatest documentary series of ever imo) streaming but not sure if posting links to that sort of thing on here is allowed?

Trailer Park Boys. Funniest series I’ve ever seen. Takes a few episodes to find your bearings, but perseverence is well rewarded. The character development is brilliant. An unrecognised golden nugget.

Every friend I’ve lent the boxset to has been ‘wtf?’ initially but by the end they all adore it. Maybe it’s a west of Scotland thing, though….

minzo
    Free Member

For a good documentary, try “The Pipe”

yossarian
    Free Member

I recently watched ‘the Pacific’ miniseries. It was pretty affecting, and I ended up reading the autobiographies of a couple of the people in the series.

Kevevs
    Free Member
    takisawa2
    charleyblue
    Free Member

how bout 127 hours? the bit where he actually amputates his arm is sick but its a really good film

kudos100
    Free Member

@ project.

i have snapped the end clean off my collarbone and broke it in the middle like a twig. i am taking dihydrocodine 3 times a day and cannot stand up for more than 30 minutes without my back and neck going into spasm and feeling sick, so no i cant walk around and get lots of exercise.

cheers for all the suggestions so far, anymore documentaries and movies would be great

dobo
    Free Member

watch all the NIKITA series

fantastic

KT1973
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm

+1

DrP

Archer – brilliant!

DrP

DrJ

+1 for Spiral/Engrenage
    -1 for the US remake of The Killing
    +1 for the Dansh original, and also for Mad Men
    Not mentioning The Wire as I assume everyone has already seen it 🙂

kimbers

wire
    sopranos
    mad men
    deadwood
    breaking bad
    battlestar galactica
    carnivale
    oz
    dexter
    firefly + serenity
    twin peaks
    entourage
    blackadder
    justified
    sons of anarchy
    teh shield
    walking dead
    generation kill
    band of brothers

boxelder

Jimmy McGoverns ‘The Street’
    Best TV of the last decade.
    Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Bus174 and The Filth and the Fury are cracking documentaries. As is Scratch if you like hip hop. The Louis Theroux box sets are great.

DezB
    Free Member

+1 for Spiral/Engrenage

Cougar

Kimbers wins (apart from missing Farscape).

kudos100
    Free Member

On the list so far:

the killing (original) spirals, generation kill, boardwalk empire and most of the documentaries.

keep em coming……

StuE
    Free Member

Luther, just spent last 2 evenings watching the first series

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some dvds, videos, tv series, documentaries………’ is closed to new replies.