Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me some baggies
  • rascal
    Free Member

I fancy some new shorts.
    Found Endura Hummvee 3/4 a bit long, plus the material at the back below the waistband tore as it’s about half a micron thick. Not too fussed about any Fox I’ve seen or Troy Lee.
    Quite like the look of Madison Alpine FR and the Addict DWR (winter’s coming!).
    Polaris AM 500 Repel with DWR look good at £40 instead of usual £60 too at Go Outdoors.
    So what are your go-to shorts and why?

Cheers

rascal
    Free Member

Bump for the evening lot…surely shorts isn’t that boring a subject…we all wear ’em after all!

Gotama
    Free Member

Not sure this is particularly useful but I’ve just got some 7mesh shorts having been a long term endura singletrack 2 user. The latter had a number of things that irritated me. The former are brilliantly thought through. No Velcro adjusters to pull at any Lycra in the wash, cut so they fit well on the bike, nice light weight fabric and pockets which are well designed to hold stuff out the way. Expensive but well worth the money.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

Addict DWR here. Madison shorts are good – I have some Zeniths too.

papercutout
    Free Member

If you don’t like the humvee, I’ve got the Singletrack. I’ve been wearing them 6 days a week with over 10 hours cycling a week, since May and they’ve been great. Definitely more of a summery short though.

dovebiker

Gore Alp-X Pro 2 in 1 – combined baggies with full bib short – worn mine for 20 hours straight riding the Capital Trail. No compromises – comfortable at temperatures in the low teens all the way to 30 degrees.

wrecker
    Free Member

Troy lee skylines for me. Not too baggy, sooo comfy.

federalski
    Free Member

Endura Fireflys are good for me.
    Bought a pair as a stopgap but now have a few of them, cheap, decently waterproof and have a quality drawstring at the waist which I prefer in baggies rather than those snidey belts you sometimes get on other shorts.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Another fan of Madison, good quality but my Zeniths size up slightly too large. Mrs TJ had to take them in a bit, but now right as rain.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s the ex-Arcteryx guys and they’ve brought the pricing across with them. That said having had Arcteryx gear that has suffered far more abuse than I would reasonably expect I’m hoping the same applies to the 7mesh stuff.

I see you discounted Troy Lee in your OP, but I swear by their Moto’s

Super hard wearing – you will NOT rip these, have hip protection pads and look pretty good too. Gaudy colours are available…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

slightly too large. Mrs TJ had to take them in a bit, but now right as rain.

Mines are exact same, seem half a size bigger than addicts, sadly.

rascal
    Free Member

Wrecker – how do they size up? Reading about them seems like it might be worth going up a size?

epicyclo

I’m in the same basket. Loved the Humvees, can’t see anything I’d replace them with (on my 3rd pair).

Shame they’re made out of tissue paper.

fathomer

rascal – Member

Wrecker – how do they size up? Reading about them seems like it might be worth going up a size?

The more recent ones are definitely bigger, annoyingly I can’t quite get in a 30″ waist but the 32″ are massive. My older ones which are 32″ fit pretty well, though a bit of weight loss since I got them means they are bigger than I’d like.

rascal
    Free Member

Went for these in the end but upped a size.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/303462/products/2015-troy-lee-designs-ace-shorts-black.aspx

Let’s see what Mr Postman brings on Thursday 🙂

They look like some funky hipster disco pants to be worn down at the Blue Oyster.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@epicyclo, glad you said your humvees are made of tissue paper – i seem to have worn 2 holes in the arse of mine, was wondering if that was ‘normal’. Guessing it probably is if other people are wearing them out.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

On the verge of replacing my ~10 year old Humvees, wear them loads, not just for cycling in.

stewartc
    Free Member

Now have 3 pairs of Madison Trail shorts, lots of pockets, good fit and they seem reasonably hard wearing. Prefer wearing these now over my Enduro M500’s.

twisty

I rather like the Altura shorts I have, padded progel inner is really comfy and because it is removable can be used with other shorts too, the outer has flexible bits on the inside of the leg and hardshell bits on the outside of the leg for abrasion resistance.
    The RRPs are expensive but I always seem to find something deeply discounted.

ajt123
    Free Member

Race Face Ambush every time .

Hard wearing, good cut, can use regular belt, decent pockets and zipped air panels.

Pretty decent drying time, obviously you need to top uptrend dwr when you wash.

iainc

I have a couple of pairs of Endura Singletrack II’s, which I really rate, however having just got a pair of Endura MTR’s the Singletracks are consigned to the drawer for now !

moonsaballoon

I really rated my endura mtr’s but after 3 months the stitching around the crotch is coming away , had maddison addicts before that and they lasted ages before wearing away .

iainc

^^^^ they do seem pretty light, hence I am hanging onto the Singletracks….

Endura warranty is goods though, so if wearing out in 3 months a replacement should be in order surely ?

trickydisco
    Free Member

madison addict dwr here. Had humvees for years and think these are much better quality

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Haglofs Ardent – bit expensive but very good shorts. Light weight, tapered to cover the knee but allow comfy pedalling, high back…..

wrecker
    Free Member

Pretty true IME. Same as fox at any rate.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some baggies’ is closed to new replies.