Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me an entry level dslr
  • mbr30
    Free Member

Thinking about the Nikon D3100. Anyone got anything better in mind?

donsimon
    Free Member

Depends.

I’ve bought a Sony Alpha 55, which you may find still available (A65 has replaced it) and so far very impressed. The key thing that sets it apart is a translucent, rather than flip-up mirror. This makes it physically smaller than most DSLR’s and enables continuous live view – you do get an electronic viewfinder though, which to some is a disadvantage, but I’ve never used an optical vf, so find it fine.

The A33 is similar and cheaper, but doesn’t have a flip-out LCD screen – it’s fixed.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Pentax K-r

mu3266
    Free Member

Ive got a Sony Alpha 550 and have been impressed with it throughout its use. Have captured some brilliant photo’s of the lads firing off mortar rounds 😀

How much are you looking to spend?

mbr30
    Free Member

Looking to spend about £400-£500. I’ve got a lumix Lx5 at the moment which ill need to sell first. I just want something a bit more versatile and something I can continue to learn with. I like the Nikon’s step by step guides

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

D3100 is a good choice for entry level.
    Get one.

Cougar

Go to a shop, play with a few. Canon and Nikon have pros and cons but are largely comparable; biggest difference is interface. See what feels nice in your hand, and feels intuitive to use.

Remember, you’re buying into a system. Don’t by a Nikon because it “has a nice guide,” buy a Nikon if it’s the format which you think is going to serve you best long-term.

Don’t overlook the second-hand market. Glass holds its price, but bodies can be had for a reasonable discount.

Bear in mind if you buy into Sony, there’s a whole world of old Minolta glass out there that fits (as Sony bought them), some of which by all accounts is very good.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Sorry to thread jack. Anyone know what a good price would be for a Nikon D3000 kit, Camera and 18-35 lense. Someone in work is selling one and i tempted but am not up on current prices.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Pentax K-r here. Bought one this summer as my first SLR and have taken some fantastic shots without much knowledge at all. Got a 2 day introductory photography course booked in a couple of weeks

donsimon
    Free Member

+1 what Cougar said. Between Nikon and Canon and you won’t go wrong in the future.

DavidB
    Free Member

I am well happy with my D3100

Grant_Richards
    Free Member

Canon 40D in the classifieds 😉

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lumix LX5 & a Nikon D40 DSLR.I bought the D40 as I wanted something less bulky when mountainbiking than my F100 film camera.
    A major + point for the D40 is that it takes my “pro”lens’s
    Obviously the D40 & standard lens is bulkier than the LX5,but IMHO it’s a much better camera.I don’t know what physical size the D3100 & kit lens is, but bear it in mind if you plan on carrying it round all day

mbr30
    Free Member

Excellent replies cheers

bamboo
    Free Member

It is worth keeping an eye on the Canon outlet on eBay, you may get a better model or save some cash.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an entry level dslr’ is closed to new replies.