Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me an Allen key set.
  • jekkyl

I’m compiling a Christmas wish list. Looking at all the hex key sets on Amazon how do I know which are good and which are shite?
    recommend me a professional set which will last a lifetime, preferably in a case or holder type affair.
    Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bondhaus

wera hex plus

wiha

Facom

Beta

Bahco

Teng

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah thats them

Good success with them so far.

only annoying thing is the 3 and 4 are both similar colours.

Actual hex part is good as is the ball end , not rounded off anything yet .

wwaswas
    notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Wera ones are what I use at work, nice and distinctive no one can thief them.
    Sleeves can come loose but a bit of tape around the shaft sorts that

onandon
    Free Member

I have a wera set. Great for most things but…. the milled ends are’nt very deep so you can’t use them for any recessed hex heads.
    You don’t get many of these on bikes but it’s a pain when you do. I’m looking at you spyre pad adjustment screw.

alexxx
    Free Member

My Bondhus set is the same condition as when I bought they – super tough and the same price.. I think colour coding looks good though

trail_rat
    Free Member

bondhaus are my favorite . they just last.

*looking back fondly to when park were just rebranded bondhaus and good quality rather than the gash you get now painted blue*

chakaping
    Free Member

Different colours for different sizes is a stroke of genius.

*Pops off to look for Humbrol enamels*

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had these same Facoms since around 1990 ish when I was a mechanic. Still great.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AB5ArA]

Kuco

I’ve got the Facom ones and highly recommend them.

qwerty
    Free Member

PB Swiss

FTW

dmck16
    Free Member

Another one for Bondhaus. Only cost £8 or £9 last year, yet should last a lifetime.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve a Bondhaus Gorilla set (the bright/silver ones).

Must of had them 10 years now and they’re still like new, well apart from the 3mm that I snapped the ball end off by using a tube on the short part of it. They’re used every day in a workshop environment.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Any good make.. I went with the coloured wera ones

Nipper99
    Free Member

If I had money to burn…

Cletus

+1 for Wera. A bit more costly than some but this makes them a good present!

bigblackshed

Bondhaus.

I still have some from when I was an apprentice. Used daily and with vim and vigor. Some are nearly 30 years old.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve a set of 20 year old facom Allen keys, the 2.5mm is a bit tired but that’s because it was used very regularly to unscrew badly threaded bolts at work.

thenorthwind

We have a couple of Wera sets in our mechanical workshop at work. Both the 5mm keys have sheared in the same place.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I splashed out on some allen keys a few years ago. Whilst the tools themselves are great, the holder (like many of the above) is a bit annoying.

If you have to remove a larger tool to get at a smaller one it just gets annoying… and there should be no getting annoyed with good tools. Sure you could forgo the holder and put them somewhere else, but then you soon find yourself wondering where you put one. Also not good.

When you’re at that critical moment working on something and you’ve got your hands full and you suddenly realise you need another smaller allen key. If you can’t easily get hold of it then your posh tools are at risk of being useless.

A lot of waffling and no real input other than make sure the holder of your good allen keys is also good.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Wilko’s. Looks just like the red ones above. Probably not as good, but never let me down, no rust, good size range, ball heads, £12.

tjagain

Budget but decent quality are the halfords professional range

fooman

Once you’ve used the Wera you’ll not want to go back to a normal allen key. The shaping of the hex ends really works to prevent rounding & get more leverage. IMHO the best of those here.

DezB
    Free Member

Get a set of these – https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RXS5K4
    They’re far more useful than the usual L shaped ones.

trail_rat
    Free Member

40 QUID !!!

DezB
    Free Member

Well, he did specify Amazon! I got em from Ebay for £17.99 🙂

mav12
    Free Member

do they come with an allen key to adjust them, or do you have to buy another set 🙂

rossburton
    Free Member

Why oh why does nobody make a good set of T handled keys that are colour coded…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Worst ones I’ve ever tried blue point t handle and small snap on hex socket mounted ones , the BP ones did not last long and the small snap on 1/4 drive socket ones also wore far to soon.

Bigger snap on hex socket ones seem fine just not the less than 5 mm ones

sturdylad
    Free Member

I’ve just bought this set on Amazon, first use tonight seemed ok.
    Just wish the previous owner of my bike had used a decent set and not rounded off the calliper bolts
    amazon link

sbob
    Free Member

When I was working in a machine shop, everyone used Bondhus.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Another vote for the wera multicoloured set, fantastic. I love them so much the matching torx wera set is on my Christmas list! (If people even stick to the helpful list!)

CHB

Facom are the best I have had. There is a Bahco set on Amazon for about £12 that is very good too, I have two of those sets!
    I have tried Wera and Bondhus, but the tools I have had from them have not been as good as I expected.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of T handle Allen and Torx keys from Wiha. Take up a bit of room in the shed compared with a little set but a joy to use on the bike for all but the fiddly small bits.

http://cpc.farnell.com/wiha/26248/torx-set-t-handle-6pc/dp/TL11155

http://cpc.farnell.com/wiha/26247/hex-set-t-handle-6pc/dp/TL11154

timidwheeler

I’ve got a Bahco set which is good enough. However they’ve been banished to the car since I bought the coloured Wera ones. I’ve also got a perfectly good torx set but as I’ve just discovered you can get coloured Wera ones of those….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an Allen key set.’ is closed to new replies.