Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a Winter Road training frameset?
  • ackie
    Free Member

Apart from the usual suspects Ribble, Dolan, Kinesis TK2 what am I missing?

Preferably Aluminium with clearance for mudguards.

Ta

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I previously had a TK2, which was a great frame that was both stiff and compliant in the right ways but it had horrible toe overlap when using guards (57cm frame). I then swapped to a Genesis Equilibrium frameset that can easily swallow 28c tyres with full guards and the ride quality is superb, absolutely no regrets.

If you want something lighter, you may be able to pick up a Genesis Vapour frame or bike cheaply that still has the same clearances/geo?

Merak

I have Sabbath September. 4th winter on it coming up, still love it. Im usually hopeless with bikes in terms of keeping them but this is a great frame, done some light touring on it to.

Its not indestructible but I hope it will last longer than aluminium if I get ten winters out of it I will feel I’ve had value for money.

simondbarnes

Sabbath September here too…

Sunny Sunday Afternoon by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Had a cheapish aluminium Winter trainer / commuter before but the ride is so much nicer on this (as you’d expect for a much more expensive frame!)

Alex

Top Flappage there Simon 🙂

rocket
    Free Member

Tifosi ck7 seems to cover your needs. I’m half heartedly selling a 58cm. But keep using it though as perfect bike for this summer. Also like the looks of the genesis eq.

damitamit
    Free Member

Chinese carbon fm208? 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheap ebay job?

£150 for carbon seatpost, frame, seat collar, headset, and carbon fork.

Gets you fit too.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I have a Kinesis and am pretty impressed with it

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Tifosi CK3 sora or Veloce are worth a look. The best thing about these bikes apart from they come with mudguards, rack mounts and ride well is any dealer can order then part built so they can be specced to your requirements at least thats what I do. The standard tyres (vittoria Zaffiro’s) are not up tot wet roads as they puncture too easily. They really need some Conti Gators/4 seasons or something similar. Saddle may or may not be to your liking as well.

Edric64
    Free Member

Any old frame with your old bits on ? something steel and cheap that takes guards ? So long as its roadworthy I cant see the point in spending much on a winter trainer as they get lots of abuse ans covered in salty muck off gritted roads

clubber
    Free Member

because it’s enjoyable to ride a nice bike even in the winter and when you can get something for 200 quid that’s nice to ride, why compromise if you’re going to spend time on it?

I can highly recommend a Dolan multicross or preffisio which are basically the same but for different brakes.

mooman
    Free Member

Ragley Cragvale.
    Very similar to the Ribble offering.

Alu frame/carbon fork with fixing for proper mudguards that dont rattle or rub …

TiRed

Specialized Langster (aluminium, guards are a tricky fit)
    Kona Paddy Wagon (steel, with guard eyelets)

Run fixed for low maintenance. Spin like a god in the spring.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with the old Dribble Gas pipe frames IMHO..

Under £100 for a frame & fork?

Bargin.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Sabbath september here too… I’ve had a couple as I wanted the polished one…. It’s so good that I often use it in the summer…. What size are u cos there’s a cheaper frame in my lbs but its a 54cm ( measures more like a 56)

ackie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the posts.

I love that some you have expensive titanium frames as winter trainers. Although I’m sure they will last a lifetime 😉

Edric 64
    You are making me think more and more about dragging my 2005 Specialized Allez out of the back of the shed and sticking on some raceblade mudguards.

Aside from that, my problem (if indeed it is a problem) is the height of the Headtubes of the Ribble’s/Ragley’s/Dolan’s. Just too darn short. Stack of spacers? Upright stem? Pilates?

My ideal geometry would be a 58cm Trek H2 which is why I am tempted by a Chinese Carbon FM028.
    Trek don’t seem to sell aftermarket alu frames.
    Anyway I digress

Edric64
    Free Member

Some of these winter bikes (make that all)are better than my summer one which is 531 with campag 8 speed

crftom
    Free Member

+1 for the sabbath awesome bike rides better than most peoples summer bike

simondbarnes

I love that some you have expensive titanium frames as winter trainers.

I probably spend 85% of my cycling time commuting so I prefer to do it on a bike that’s really nice to ride 🙂

ackie
    Free Member

I probably spend 85% of my cycling time commuting so I prefer to do it on a bike that’s really nice to ride

Reminds me, I really must dust the cobwebs off my MTBs 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

am tempted by a Chinese Carbon FM028

Rode an FM028 for a couple of years and sold it on for about the same price I paid. Nice n light ride-able frame, just fancied a change after a while.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I got a Dolan cyclocross frame off Ebay for £75.

It’s got mudguard eyelets but has the ride quality of a dead hooker, which is a shame.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – I really like my Dolan so I’m wondering a out things now 😀

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Clubber, it’s at least 7 years old but is the same spec as what Dolan now sell as their ‘citycross’, it just feels incredibly stiff, probably good for racing but for winter miles it lacks comfort.

I’m not massively experienced with aluminium frames apart from a Principia I used to have which was flawless but for 75 quid I shouldn’t complain as its lasted well but for big miles/audax I’d like something steel.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Winter Road training frameset?’ is closed to new replies.