Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Recommend me a watch for a morning gift
  • darrell
    Free Member

I’m getting married next summer and the missus wants to buy me a nice watch for a morning gift. Something simple and classy. Price range up to 3 grand

i have no idea about watches – i currently wear a bashed in 5 years old Polar something or other

lipseal
    Free Member

Get a new bike instead.

boxelder

Price range up to 3 grand

😯

Sorry, none of my business.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Congratulations, watches are personal do pick the one you like. I love Rolex datejusts for the simplicity in the design. If your looking for inspiration away from the usual, omegas, breitling, rolex etc… Try Bell and Ross

philconsequence
    Free Member

whats a morning gift? and how do i go about getting one?!

Edric64
    Free Member

3 grand are you a gold digger? 😯

hels
    Free Member

Aye, I could do with some of this “morning gift” action oo-er ? Or do you have to get married ??

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Rolex Submariner here, got it cheap off a mate who was upgrading and Id done a bit of work for him. Its dated 1976 and still attracts admiring comments, and looks the biz. Goes with a suit, or any other attire and is not too bling looking like some breitlings.

darrell
    Free Member

maybe its just a tradition here in Norway – i dunno – but its a gift yuo get the morning after getting married. I wont bother you with the gift i am supposed to be getting her.

I’ve told the SO to get me a new bike frame instead but she wasnt very impressed with the idea and she is kinda insisting on getting me a watch. I suppose she’ll want to have some soppy engraving in the back side of it as well.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh i seee…. makes sense 🙂

remind her you can get something engraved on a bike frame too!

or get her to do what PeterPoddy did and have a custom bike built up, but have the headset engraved.. subtle.

MussEd
    Free Member

Morning Gift? Sounds good…just make sure you also get some Afternoon Delight and you’ll be on for a nigh on perfect day…

Edric64
    Free Member

Indy Fab Ti frame engraved ,that will last for ever!!

heihei

Big fan of IWC as they fit the simple and classy. Have one of these…..

darrell
    Free Member

maybe i can convince her to get me a nice watch that is sensibly priced and then get me a new frame as well

😀

darrell
    Free Member

the IWC Spitfire is very nice

heihei

Yep – funnily enough work colleague of mine was bought a Spitfire as a morning present – v nice.

Woody
    Free Member

Something simple and classy.

Have to agree with the above re IWC as they make beautifully engineered watches which aren’t going to ‘date’ and don’t carry any of the stigma that some other brands have. IWC Collection

You might struggle to get the one you want on your budget though 😥

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d get a rolex sub, no other watch combines smart and casual as well, plus they really do keep value better than most. Having said I’d probably rather get a used sea dweller. I’ve had numerous rolexes and whilst I haven’t had one for a while as I like to chop and change, if I had to have a watch for ever more it’d definitely be a sports rolex. Panetai et al are nice but obscenely overpriced for what they are. Rolex, when resale value is taken into account, are actually decent value for money.

I personally wouldn’t bother with the IWC as it just uses a valjoux 7750 movement, Fortis do more or less the same watch and quality for 60% of the price (B42 Flieger Chrono).

darrell
    Free Member

strange to hear , “might struggle to get one on your budget”

when we are talking about a watch and 3000 grand

its new to me thinking about this

Woody
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t bother with the IWC as it just uses a valjoux 7750 movement

True, but that is like saying the engine in a Mercedes AMG is the same as a standard Merc. Both have had extensive re-working.

piha
    Free Member

You should really have a look at Panerai watches. They are a bit different to the Rolex, Omega and IWC crowd and IMO very nice too. You don’t see many about and can be quite hard to get hold of so as a really special gift a Panerai would be perfect.

Edric64
    Free Member

Do the straps on these overpriced watches go round your knob as 3 grand on a watch seem like a penis extension, a bit like flash sports cars are?

loddrik
    Free Member

What a load of bollox. I guess you ride round on a bike that cost £50? Because anything else would just be classed as a penis extender…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve always liked the explorer would be the only Rolex I’d own.

However I think next on my list is the Speedmaster you really can’t go wrong with one of those.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Do you actually want to spend 3k on a watch though? Not knocking those that do at all. Just seems a bit of a shame to spend that much money on something you don’t actually desire enough to know exactly what you want…

Harry_the_Spider

My wife bought me an Omega Seamaster 8 years ago. I wear it everyday and my son will have it when I’m dead and gone.

Looking at today’s watches I’d have a Seamaster Planet Ocean.

I quite like Speedmaster “Moon Watch” too.

darrell
    Free Member

the moon watch is very nice. Watching the moon landing in 1969 is one of my first memories

avdave2

Whatever you get make sure you can source a nice cheap fake one so you can sell the original and buy something useful. You’ll just need a good cover story for the new bike. 🙂

heihei

the moon watch is very nice. Watching the moon landing in 1969 is one of my first memories

At the expense of sounding a watch whore, I have one of the 40th anniversary special edition ones, but that is the extent of my watch collection! My wife bought me one for my 40th, as I was born on the day they landed on the moon!

Here’s the 40th anniversary version….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

What a load of bollox. I guess you ride round on a bike that cost £50? Because anything else would just be classed as a penis extender…

Rubbish – a more expensive bike has improved function. A more expensive watch does not.

crankboy
    Free Member

A £3k bike rides and looks very different to a £50 bike . A watch no matter how much you spend just tells the time . Get a nice one £300 should do it and she still has £2700 to spend on a bike .

BobaFatt
    Free Member

if it was me:

Hamilton Jazzmaster (around 5-600 quid)

Omega moon watch (think your taking 2-2.5k)

One of my faves, the Rolex Milgauss, may be an acquired taste though (around 3k)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

the Rolex Milgaus Is gorgeous. I will keep my datejust for the rest of my life if was ever to buy another watch it would be a Milgaus. It’s such a pity that people knock premium watches, they are different to your £100 seiko etc… One of the most annoying parts of ownership is know alls telling you thier opinion.

Not seen one watch I actually like on this thread yet.

My current watch is this at around £120….

smiffkin

Have a look at Stowa Watches. Their Fliegler is simple and stunning (and niche too!) and will leave you enough change for a pretty good full suspension bike.

oxnop
    Free Member

Have a look at Stowa Watches. Their Fliegler is simple and stunning (and niche too!) and will leave you enough change for a pretty good full suspension bike.

Its a good job you are getting married next year as the Stowa waiting list is around 3 to 6 months.

Something simple and classy

id try and pick up a

For £3k you could pick up a nice pre owned Panerai Luminor Marina from a reputable supplier – I can recommend Watchfinder.co.uk, I have just purchased a pre-owned Bell and Ross and they were fantastic to deal with. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go vintage and get something truly special.

matthewjb
    Free Member

£3,000 is a lot to spend if you’re not sure what you like.

First questions is do you want a sports watch or a dress watch? Do you wear a suit for work? Would something like this look out of place?

Are you bothered if people realise you have a £3,000 watch? If yes then avoid Rolex. Go for something like a JLC.

Although it may be beyond your budget.

I’m tempted to recommend an Omega Aqua Terra

Whatever you decide, make sure you try a few on. Watches that look great in the shop window can look rubbish on your wrist.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thing is though, why does she want to spend up to £3k on something that you don’t really care about (given your current wristwear). Sounds like she wants you to appear minted by wearing an unnecessarily expensive bit of c(l)ockwork on your wrist.

imn

For something a bit different and not Swiss, have a look at Lange & Sohne from Germany. The platinum/black strap version of the Referenzuh looks good; not sure on price though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a watch for a morning gift’ is closed to new replies.