Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a tyre to try going tubeless with.
  • riddoch

I have a set of 26″ Ztr flows, I mostly ride in the North downs or at the moment mostly as a road commuter apart from 600m of clay based mud.

I need a new front tire and I want to try tubeless so I want something that will make it as painless as possible.
    I have a collection of valves, rim strips, yellow tape and sealant.
    What is your recommendation for something that fits and grips?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Mud X-good all-rounder & rolls pretty well-easy to inflate tubeless but you may need a compressor.

riddoch

Oh should have said no compressor but some co2 cartridges if the track pump fails.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Spesh storm control or purgatory. Go up with a track pump on Stans easily

scandal42
    Free Member

My Chunky Monkey is excellent tubeless, went straight up and it has side wall protection built in.

dantsw13

Those 2 surfaces, mud and winter clay, are polar opposites. Th Mud X is a great mud tyre, but will be very draggy on the road.

Try an On-One smorgasbord – very cheap, good all rounder and works well tubeless.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Try an On-One smorgasbord – very cheap, good all rounder and works well tubeless.

This.

Or I’ve always found Continental Barons to up like a dream, and they’re ideal for riding in the british winter months.

kayak23

I have Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front on ZTR Flows and 2.2 on rear.

dantsw13

Oops my earlier post should have read “road” and winter clay.

seanodav
    Free Member

on one smorgasbord? wouldnt use one of them personally speaking from experience

dantsw13

Ran mine tubeless in the Alps with no issues, and now running it as a winter rear.

Is that photo with TLR rims, or ghetto?

seanodav
    Free Member

they are stans flows with correct rim strip and sealant, which ended up on my back…

seanodav
    Free Member

the chunky monkey has remained on the front though, which is good 😀

dantsw13

Interesting. Sounds like an unseated bead. I don’t think it’s a regular issue, as loads of people on here run them tubeless, and I haven’t heard it before.

chopchop
    Free Member

Smorgasbord blew off my 26″ flow rim on its first outing. That said, very happy with the tyre now that a tube is fitted.

seanodav
    Free Member

the tyre itself was slacker than a wizards sleeve on the rim, took no putting on or removing. seated it with a tube then put plenty psi in to make sure rim was seated. It had around 30 psi in it when it blew off and made a canny bang!

dantsw13

😯 ouch!! Maybe it doesn’t like flows! Mine has been on an 819 and a crossride

riddoch

well I went for a specialized purgatory as I could pick it up on the way home.
    Turned out to be a piece of p*** to fit and inflate once I took the inner out of the valve, now just leaving to see if it stays up all night.
    Thanks for all the recommendations, I was thinking of giving the smorgasbord for the rear but not now 🙂 .

kayak23

To be fair, tubeless can pop for a number of reasons. My ardent went on the rear at Gawton. I’d battered it all morning and it was fine, then an innocuous roller after lunch popped it with a massive BANG. The rear was used and the front brand new when fitted. The front, also an ardent is still going strong.

timidwheeler

Perhaps consider a Ground Control for the rear?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tyre to try going tubeless with.’ is closed to new replies.