Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a two day road trip in Scotland
  • stevie750

Can anyone recommend me a two day trip in scotland that I can do with my roadie mates. Ideally on quiet roads, between 60-100 miles a day and preferably with a start and finish near a railway station.

scotroutes

Two days would give you a comfortable timetable for a loop round the Cairngorms starting anywhere between Pitlochry and Aviemore and taking in The Lecht and Glenshee.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Start at Arrochar and do a two-day loop of the Cowal Peninsula and the Isle of Bute, via the ferry at Colintraive.

richardthird

Hi, Scotroutes’ suggestion sounds like the route for 3pistescycle.co.uk, I’m planning to ride this route at Easter, weather permitting. I’ll be based near Dundee so can’t head too far west.

Can’t see a loop though, (except the A9, which I don’t want to ride) I’m tempted to come back the same way Or, Glenshee then up to the Lecht, back down and loop east via Fettercairn and Blairgowrie

maccruiskeen

Train to Ardrossan or Wemyss Bay and do something based on the 5 Ferries but lengthen the links between the ferries – round arran rather than straight to Lochranza for instance – and down to Campbeltown rather than straight to Tarbet.

I don’t know if they’ll repeat it this year but the new ferry the ran between Ardrossan and Campbeltown last year opened up a nice loop – round balls of arran then down the cock of mull then back to the train.

Kunstler

There is a sustrans cycle route between Pitlochry and Aviemore, some of it on minor roads but most of it on a separate cycle track. I think, if I remember rightly that it’s all tarmac. It runs alongside the A9 over Drummochter – this somewhat offsets the enjoyment of the landscape.

StirlingCrispin

Pitlochry to Killin via Loch Tummel and Glen Lyon. Killin to Lochearnhead, Loch Earn, Comrie, to Stirling.

swiss01
    Free Member

day 1. perth. low road to newtyle, forfar. glen clova loop. back along past loch of lentrathen and up to pitlochry. something around the 95 mile mark. barely a main road.

day 2. pitlochry, kinloch rannoch, aberfeldy, kenmore, amulree (via glen quaich), creiff, braco, perth. this last bit you can extend or shorten dependent on your taste and how much legs you have

scotroutes

Train to Kyle of Lochalsh then follow the coast to Torridon. Second day via Gairloch to Braemore Junction and then to Garve.

Kunstler

I like the look of the five ferries. It’s just had me scheming an extension of it to accommodate a visit to Colonsay.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ooo, *takes notes*

Wanting to do the same, just not sure I’m up to 100miles a day at the minute..

CraigW
    Free Member

The far north west, Inverness up towards Durness and Tongue. There’s a few different routes, mostly on very nice quiet roads.
    Maybe getting the train to Garve or Ardgay/Lairg, depending on the distances you want to do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a two day road trip in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.