Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • recommend me a new phone with gps for mtb'ing?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

how is the gps for mtb'ing is their a free ap on the phones or do i need to buy seperate software???

Helvetica85
    Free Member

Im running Viewranger on my Nokia. It works pretty well, you just need to buy the OS maps of the areas you need. Downside is bad weather, if its pouring with rain using a mobile for a GPS gets tricky.

http://www.viewranger.com/

bassspine
    Free Member

does it cost you in your phone bill to do the gps thing?

HTTP404
    Free Member

does it cost you in your phone bill to do the gps thing?

The necessary software is free.
    Nokia Sportracker is anyway.

If you want mapping then something like viewranger has to be paid for.
    Its not that expensive and you can download selected "map tiles" tailored to your needs.

I use both sportracker and viewranger on a Nokia 6220 classic.
    Battery life isn't great but will do for short trips of 2hrs or so.

Alphabet

Will a mobile be rugged and waterproof enough to work? I'm assuming you'll want to strap it to your handlebars? I use a Garmin Geko 201 which has never let me down.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

was thinking of using it only for when i get lost really rather than for whole rides. would that work? just to turn it on and it say go this way..turn it off. im doing off road coast to coast next summer and am not the best at navigating.
    the appeal of it on a phone is well basically i can get it free with a upgrade. if i then need to buy software may look into just buying something like geko 201. although i dont fully understand how they work looking at screen shots??? i like to see a pic of a map with a line on it saying this way ha.

votchy
    Free Member

If you get something like a geko you will have to buy mapping software such as tracklogs or memory map, you then upload a route to the geko and follow the little arrow on the screen. My 201 is about 5yrs old now and still going strong, been used in all weathers and battery life is pretty good on rechargeable AAA's

joemarshall
    Free Member

With a Geko (or a mobile for that matter), you no longer need to buy expensive software to create routes for them. You can use http://www.bikehike.co.uk to create routes (there is also another one that I can't remember which is similar). They aren't as fancy as tracklogs or memory map, but they are £200 cheaper.

Viewranger on a mobile is great, but you do have to pay for it, and it isn't all that cheap, for a coast to coast, you'd probably be buying £50 worth of maps or something.

Mobile phone based things (or very very expensive – like £300+ garmin / satmap GPS units) are the only way you will get decent maps when you are outside. Most people who use garmin units just upload a route in advance and follow arrows / lines on screen, but with no map.

There are free OS map things for iPhone and Android phones, but currently they require you to have a mobile data connection to use them, which isn't so good if you're in middle of nowhere (like in big sections of the peak district & lake district if you happen to be with t-mobile).

Joe

Lifer
    Free Member

I've got a Nokia 5800 with view ranger and a waterproof case:

http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_micro_cases-c-22.html

I just zip tie the case over the stem/handlebars and off I go 😀

IanMmmm
    Free Member

For recording GPS tracks I use Google My Tracks on Android, which works really well. There's also something similar called Everytrail for iPhone and Windows mobile that produces GPX tracks.

If you want OS maps on your mobile, you can use Multimap on Windows mobile to load the maps on before you go out, but you have to buy them. Or you can use OS Map on Android, but that does use mobile data and it doesn't work too well over non-3G networks, which is usually all you have out in the wilds.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

reckon i'll look into a gps like geko and have a phone as a phone. thanks everyone great advice as always.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a new phone with gps for mtb'ing?’ is closed to new replies.