Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a large(ish) cycling backpack for small shoulders
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

After a BC Leadership training course this weekend I have realised I need a larger backpack for guided riding. Easy enough. However, I do have particularly narrow shoulders.

I’d like it to be reasonably light, but with numerous compartments and easy access for tools/first aid/emergency provisions etc.

Are there any brands out there that people can recommend?

Mugboo

I’m under 5’8″ & not exactly ‘built’, I’ve just bought an Osprey Zealot 15. It’s got 2 belt pockets & a strap pocket. Phone pocket with key thingy, big compartment with mesh pocket. Expandable outer section, helmet thingy & at the bottom, a seperate compartment with tool roll.
    All in all, a huge step up from Hawg & Mule.

scotroutes

Jo – you should really go and try a few on. Look for womens packs in particular as the straps will be shaped differently and the back lengths are usually shorter. No need for it to be a “cycling” pack, though these are usually more compartmentalised than walking packs.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look at Wingnut Jo…
    The main pack bit is around your kidneys etc, so having smaller shoulders wouldn’t be ain issue?
    Or, as above..
    Osprey.

seanbolton
    Free Member

Hi Jo

Nice to meet you at the weekend.

I bought a Camelbak Mule which is a decent size, but I am now thinking I need something a little bit larger if I am to fit all the expected gear into a backpack.

I am going to take a look at the Osprey range, several MTBers have recommended these to me.

Osprey Europe | Packs & Accessories | Official Site

cheers

Sean

Tracey

Both me and Abigale use the Deuter Futura 22 ladies backpack. Theres loads of room in them and are designed to hold of your back to let it breath.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Thanks folks 🙂

Osprey packs are great and seem to have an increasing presence on the trails so I’ll look into those. Trying rucksacks on is a great idea, but it can be hard to find a stockist, and one with the female specific versions but I shall use the googlemachine and see if I can find some close by. Worst case I can order online and return, but then there’s always the cost of return postage.

I just love my Deuter pack for general trail use, it’s light, works well and fits fine, has been battered a lot and has yet to fall apart anywhere. But they don’t seem to do one that is quite right for leading.

I like the idea of the Wingnut and not having all the weight on my upper/mid back. I do really notice the weight on my back if I am descending steep stuff so having it lower could be a benefit in that way as well as physically. Tis a fugly bit of kit though (sorry wingnut makers…)

I have also been looking tentatively at this, VASTLY too expensive, but the back protection could have a use for enduro stuff, and as discussed on the course, keeping injured folks off the cold floor. Has all the features I had on the ‘perfect back pack list’. Maybe a little heavy. No local stockist for me to try one on though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/evoc-womens-fr-trail-20l-protector-rucksack/

Esme
    Free Member

If you like Deuter, then you’ll probably also like Vaude. I use a Roomy 17, but there’s a larger version Roomy 23. You should be able to find one for much less than £90!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Thanks Esme,

Those are great looking packs. I’ll definitely look into one of those. The straps look pretty comfy from the picture too.

sparkyrhino

camel back volt,is also worth a look,light weight,very comfy,weight is low down,with bladder been around kidney area,loads of room for all day rides.and can be found sub £70

Bruce

Hi have you tried the Deuter trans-alpine 26 sl My partner who is quite small uses one of these it’s great for longer remote rides where you want to carry a bit of extra kit. On the strength of her recommendation I got the male version.

Tracey

The futuras can be split into two internally. We keep all our tools and spares in the bottom and the top will take waterproofs, bladder and food for the day.

Kevin has the 28 version and used to get all his stuff and both girls stuff into it.

Bruce

The other possibility is to consider a bike packing frame bag and split the kit between you and the Bike

JoeG
    Free Member

Osprey does sizes in some of its packs; I think that they are more about torso length than anything else, though.

While they don’t have any female specific ones, Ergon also does sizes in its bike packs. Though their website is a PITA as it makes you only pick one pack at a time from a dropdown…stupid! 😡

Mugboo

JoeG is right, I forgot that important bit of info!

My first Zealot was 2nd hand from here & M/L. I loved the bag but it sat too low and too high. Sold it again and bought a S/M, it’s got a litre less storage but fits perfectly.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ve also got very narrow shoulders and get on pretty well with the Wingnut, have had a few in differing sizes. The hip pockets and webbing are very useful for getting at stuff without taking the pack off. The main compartment is just one section though.

Yes it’s ugly, but so am I 😀

I’m not sure the chest strap is height-adjustable though, so may not be so lady-friendly. As others have said, best to try before you buy if you can, they are a bit marmite. But I’m not sure any bricks and mortar stores stock them in the UK. You might be able to find someone local who can lend?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a large(ish) cycling backpack for small shoulders’ is closed to new replies.