Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Recommend me a good crime/thriller fiction author/book
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

I don’t read as much I’d like to but having read all the Andy McNab / Chris Ryan books and many non-fiction modern war books, I’d like to try some crime/thriller books. I enjoy prog’s like Luther, Whitechapel etc. and would like a decent read that’s not too epic. Can you recommend a decent author/book?

RustySpanner

Ian Rankin’s Rebus books are ace.

Though if you’ve not read ’em, I’d have a go at the original Sherlock Holmes as well.
    Great stories and a window into another time.

hallz
    Free Member

I like David Baldacci books…

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Complicity by Iain Banks. One of my all time favourite books.

Stoner
    Free Member

rankin + 1

he’s written plenty to keep you going for a while.

robbo1234biking

Lee Child and Vince Flyn are both goof IMO.

deluded
    Free Member

Try ‘The Winter Queen’ by Boris Akunin. It’s set in the 1870’s and concerns the exploits of a Russian Police Officer (of sorts) named Erast Fandorin. Clever, fun and not too taxing.

unovolo
    Free Member

Chris kuzneski ,reading Death Relic at the moment.

http://www.chriskuzneski.com/

toys19
    Free Member

Anything by Elmore Leonard, short stories, excellent plots and chracters.

akak
    Free Member

Certainly Sherlock Holmes, I also liked girl with the dragon tattoo but the sequels not so much.

sc-xc

Not exactly what you were asking for, but the last series of books that gripped my imagination were the Bernard Cornwell’s ‘Saxon’ stories.

The description of viking battles (and approach to battle) should appeal to you if you liked the Chris Ryan/Andy McNab books, but they are much more bloody and gruesome!

kilo

anything by Stuart Mcbride

chiefgrooveguru

Michael Connelly. Lee Child’s are further removed from literature but thoroughly gripping.

vinnyeh

Connelly’s great, as is Rankin, but both need a fair bit of commitment compared to the Ryan/McNab books.

Lee Child provides instant gratification and lots of action, with decent characters and writing.

I’d give one of the Lee Child books a go, writing is probably a good cut above Ryan/McNab.

wrecker
    Free Member

Tom Cain and duncan falconer are same as Ryan and mcnab etc.
    The Bourne books are good and there’s a good few of them.

convert

There are options ^ up there for sure but is anyone aware of a website (not trying to selling you anything) that works along the lines of “if you like reading this…. you might want to try this….”

peteimpreza

The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly

The Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

The first is the better written and the second has the higher body count.

MartynS

lee child/David Baldacci as mentioned
    Robert Ludlum (of bourne fame) but the covert one series
    Just read C.J Box “nowhere to run” It was really good I’ll try more of his
    Jason Pinter. Start with “The Mark” then “the Guilt”
    Peter James Roy Grace series start with “Dead Simple” Policeman based in brighton, really good reads
    Linwood Barclay is good as well

GRAEMEJONES

Jo Nesbo . Make sure you read them in the correct order though as they all sort of link together.

foxski
    Free Member

nick great thread mate ,going to read some of these myself 😀

nickswolves
    Free Member

Crikey, just logged back on and loads of replies thanks all. I shall take a look at these on amazon and see what takes my fancy.

I’m more of a magazine kinda reader so books have to grab me quickly to keep me interested. I’m a bit of a simple soul when it comes to books, I like the Ryan/McNab books as they don’t require too much brain power, have plenty of action and I can pick them up for a quick read here and there and be kept interested enough to read through them.

Anything along a similar vain would be good. Cheers once again.

Cletus

I really enjoyed “The Penal Colony” by Richard Herley which was recommended on here as a free Kindle download.

Otherwise if you have never read Flashman by GMF do so – a great treat instore.

RustySpanner

Joseph Wambaugh is a bit of a genius.
    Does both fiction and non fiction, both great.

The Dangerous Davies novels by Leslie Thomas are well worth a read.

Oh, and anything by Ed McBain.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

James Patterson (Alex Cross books not womens club)and Lee childs I would say- not heavy and move quite quickly
    I would go in the charity stores – pick them up for under £1 and its a good cause

Markie
    Free Member

I’ll reiterate what others above have said, Lee Child is your man!

nickswolves
    Free Member

There’s a fair number of Sherlock Homes, Lee Child and Ian Rankin Rebus books when browsing those series/authors – any particular stand out books in each of these to look out for?

Good idea on charity shop pop larkin plenty in town will go searching!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll 2nd the James Patterson ‘Alex Cross’ books but my faves are the Nelson Demille ‘John Corey’ ones. Start with ‘Plum Island’ & go from there. Proper New York cop black humour.

redthunder
    Free Member

I just started reading Agatha Christie “and there was one”

Quite good.

nas50
    Free Member

Anything by jo nesbo, stieg larsson, andrew taylor, and bernard cornwell for historical fiction works for me, lee child too.

Philby

Another vote for Michael Connelly – I’d never heard of him, but was given about 6 of his books that someone else had finished with. Couldn’t put them down, especially the Harry Bosch ones.

MartynS

right,

go and get Killing Floor by Lee Child
    Its the first in the Jack Reacher series
    If you don’t love it from what you’ve said you like I’ll be staggered

yunki
    Free Member

Broaden your horizons and try Alexander McCall Smith.. lovely books.. 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

If you like the McNab/Ryan books then give Scott Mariani’s Ben Hope series a try. I have just finished them, good books, hard to put down at times. I’m just about to start Duncan Falconers fiction series, read his factual book First in to Action many years ago when it first came out, and recall it was better writen and more believable than B20 and Immediate Action.

Also consider Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone series, these are a little heavier than McNab/Ryan but still a good relatively light read, all have some historic mystery element to the story kinda like Da Vinci Code.

Markie
    Free Member

right,

go and get Killing Floor by Lee Child
    Its the first in the Jack Reacher series
    If you don’t love it from what you’ve said you like I’ll be staggered

+1

Though you don’t really have to worry about reading out of sequence, they all stand alone just fine. And there are millions of them!

Bear
    Free Member

just found cj box myself too and he is very good. Read most of the above mentioned authors.

But really like James Lee Burke who should keep you going for a while.

Although I think a lot of thriller writers have a similar flawed hero as the centrpeice.

mefty
    Free Member

Some of my favourtie series are, I like travelling through reading, are

Connelly – Bosch & the Lawyer ones – Los Angeles
    Donna Leon – Brunetti – Venice
    Michael Dibdin – Zen novels, all over Italy, can be a bit whacky.
    James Lee Burke – Robicheaux – New Orleans and Louisana
    Nesbo – Hole – Oslo
    Rankin – Rebus – Edinburgh
    Robert B Parker – Spenser – Boston
    Mankell – Wallender – Ystad

James Elroy, Elmore Leonard and George V Higgins are also worth reading. Carl Hiassen for a comic thriller.

Others from late 20th century:
    Simenon – Maigret – Paris
    Freeling – van der Valk – Amsterdam
    van de Wetering – A trio of Police Officers – Amsterdam
    Ed McBain – 87th Precinct – New York

The Classics:
    Sherlock Holmes, Dashiel Hammett’s novels, Raymond Chandler’s, James M Cain’s, Chesterton’s Father Brown etc.

I could go on and on.

ste_t
    Free Member

Michael Marshall, Jeff Abbott, Mark Billingham. Also a fan of Michael Connelly and David Baldacci. Michael Marshall – ‘Blood of angels’ is fantastic but the backstory from the prequels helps.

stavromuller
    Free Member

For real “old school” thriller try Alistair McLean (Ice Station Zebra, etc.) Robert Ludlum is no good after a couple of beers as the plots are so convoluted

_tom_
    Free Member

I tried an Ian Rankin Rebus book and found it really boring. I’m more a fan of the easy full of action stuff like Lee Childs Reacher books.

Have you read Stieg Larssons Millenium Trilogy? Well worth a read.

WillH

Carl Hiaasen – he’s written a series of books which are all one-offs, but are all set in the same area (Florida) and feature many of the same characters, often the main character in one will feature as a very minor character in another, so when you read a few you recognise the events of another book going on in the background.

They’re all crime/investigative type thrillers, although perhaps ‘thriller’ isn’t the right word, very much filled with cynical black humour though. The general background for the books is corrupt politicians/businessmen/rednecks causing environmental damage, and someone out to stop them.

Very, very funny books with a crime theme, highly recommended.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good crime/thriller fiction author/book’ is closed to new replies.