Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a Bourbon Whiskey please
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Recently finished a bottle of Bulleit Rye and a bottle of Knob Creek (snigger) so I’m after a couple of replacements.

I’ve had Makers Mark in the past, a long time ago, so might try that again. Don’t want anything honey related or anything else that’s messed with.

Looking on amazon at the moment and there’s a lot of choice so any recommendations? Thanks.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

budget?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Up to £50

earl_brutus

I like a woodford reserve, Its honey colored though!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Honey colour is fine, 🙂 added honey, or apple for example, isn’t.

Pierre

Buffalo Trace is jolly nice.

RustySpanner

Try the Bulleit Bourbon if you like the Rye?

Lovely, offers on atm.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Four Roses
    Hudson
    Woodford

Woodford goes great with old fashioned’s and whiskey sour’s

slighlty over budget
    Russell’s Reserve
    RockTown
    Noah’s Mill
    Blanton’s

If you like Rye
    Rocktown and Hudson’s is just perfect

egb81
    Free Member

Definitely Woodford Reserve. Lovely stuff.

sobriety
    Free Member

JD single barrel

Gary_M
    Free Member

Woodford Reserve looking a good option and it’s on offer in Waitrose.

prawny

I briefly had a quart bottle of Old Crow I bought back from America years ago. Lovely stuff (at least through rose tinted glasses) just had a google and it seems hard to get over here, especially in huge plastic bottles. Shame.

Edit – it was a half gallon not a quart 😆 it didn’t help it hang around.

Markend
    Free Member

I can recommend Rowan’s Creek for a £50 ish bottle – really really nice

joebristol

I like Woodford Reserve, Bulliet Bourbon and Buffalo trace personally. I think a while back I tried a Jim beam black which wasn’t too bad either. None of them particularly expensive either.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s certainly nothing wrong with the mainstream stuff, jack daniels and jim beam for example, I just fancied a couple of bottles of something a bit more special.

ski
    Free Member

If you believe the bible:

Crown Royal’s Northern Harvest Canadian rye 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

Woodford reserve or Makers mark get my vote, we had a Jack Daniels silver select single cask a few years ago that was rather nice too.

chopchop
    Free Member

Woodford
    Makers
    Jim beam double oak
    Buffalo trace
    Jim beam
    Bulleit

My order of preference

Cougar

There’s certainly nothing wrong with the mainstream stuff, jack daniels and jim beam for example

JD isn’t a bourbon. (It’s also pretty mediocre, fine if you’re mixing it with Coke but then you might as well buy supermarket own-brand if you’re going to do that.)

Readily available and at the ~£30 price point, Maker’s Mark is hard to beat in this country. Up your budget slightly, get two bottles. (-:

I’ve done the distillery tour at Maker’s. Well worth a trip if you’re passing (probably not worth the round trip on it’s own, mind). You can hand-dip your own bottle, I still have mine somewhere.

brassneck

Makers Mark is still my go to .. mainly as I get a bottle of it for Christmas from my brother and another at my birthday.. works for us both that arrangement 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

The double oaked Woodford Reserve is very nice. Gentleman Jack is also worth a look (I’ve seen that down to £25 or so sometimes) and the double oaked Jim Beam is also decent and not expensive.

If you want to try something nicer but more expensive then see if you can get hold of a bottle of 1792 as that is lovely.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Maker’s Mark, Bulleit or Buffalo Trace are all decent especially as the basis for cocktails etc.

I’ve got a bottle of the gold Jack Daniels and while it’s nice there are better options for that sort of cash. The best bourbon I’ve tried is called Angel’s Envy but I’ve struggled to find that in the UK.

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Jonny Drum private stock, just had two bottles delivered by my brother from the states but you can buy it over here.

lion
    Free Member

I know nothing about American whiskey personally but a good friend of mine runs a small whisky shop and has quite a good selection of bourbons.

https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/product-category/all-whiskies/american-whiskey/

May be of some use to you in finding what you want…

Cougar

Suggest that your good friend makes those website menus activate onClick rather onMouseOver. Multi-level menus bouncing round like a rabid hamster because your mouse pointer is a micron out is really bloody annoying, it’s like doing one of those shaky-hand wire puzzles.

CountZero

JD isn’t a bourbon. (It’s also pretty mediocre, fine if you’re mixing it with Coke but then you might as well buy supermarket own-brand if you’re going to do that.)

I find JD to be pretty harsh, and as stated, it’s not a bourbon, it’s a sour-mash whiskey; and I’ve tried a number of supermarket own-brand proper Kentucky bourbons which knocked spots off JD, and were a fair bit cheaper.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Out of interest, how do people drink bourbon?
    I drink whisky neat or sometimes with ice but have always drunk ‘bourbon’ (JD) with coke.

spw3

Always neat. With a teaspoon of water if the alcohol content is high.

Jack Daniels – unpleasant

Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace – drinkable if offered, wouldn’t buy

Noah’s Mill – nice at original abv but becomes less attractive when diluted

Breckenridge – good stuff

Ridgemont – best I’ve tried to date

thehustler
    Free Member

Recently had a bottle of the Jim Beam devils cut……’twas very nice!

chewkw
    Free Member

I was looking at some Bourbon recently but could not remember the last time I had some, so ended up buying a bottle of 1 Litre Famous Grouse for £15 … rather nice. 😆

Next time I shall also get a bottle 1 litre Whyte & Mackay …

the hustler – Member
    Recently had a bottle of the Jim Beam devils cut……’twas very nice!

Was looking at that for while but never tried so gave up … might give that a try next time.

Okay for anything between £15 to £30 … 😛

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The Pilot – Member
    Out of interest, how do people drink bourbon?
    I drink whisky neat or sometimes with ice but have always drunk ‘bourbon’ (JD) with coke

Quickly and neat.

Woodford Reserve
    Buffalo Trace
    Monkey Shoulder
    Knob Creek
    Maker’s Mark

In that order I think.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Bourbon Whiskey please’ is closed to new replies.