Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Recomend me some grippy SPD shoes – For XT Pedals.
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Hi All,

Has anyone bought some trail SPD shoes that interface well with XT trail pedals?

I’m trying to work on jumps and manuals etc.. but find I use my feet to control and steer the bike a lot, which just rotate on the pedals with my Sidi race type shoes.

I was a half decent BMX rider when I was younger, so I know I should be able to manual and jump well, but the rotating feet are making me feel out of control a bit… Don’t really want to go to flats, as I really like being clipped in on long rides.

Any Advice welcome.

Cheers.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Mavic Alpine in the past and now Alpine XL which work for me. They have a very deep cleat recess and too much tread on the sole to fully engage on shimano M647 pedals with the SPD and platform.

Maybe try swapping to the M647 pedal, they are pretty cheap these days, but obviously a bit bigger and heavier than the trail pedals.

warns74
    Free Member

If you want shoes that work well with XT trail pedals then the M089, M163, M200 range all have 2 wide bars that run along each side of the cleat that are designed to sit on the two flat (silver) areas of the pedal each side of the clip. In my experience this combination works well but there is not much pedal float. The downside is these shoes are not really what you would call grippy, in as much as they dont have a rubber cushioned sole.

If you want to use grippy shoes then as above would recommend the M647 pedals instead, then any of the trail shoes that have a more conventional rubber sole around the cleat.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Cheers,

Think I’ve got some old DX pedals somewhere, so will look for a good deal on some flatter Shimano shoes and see how I go.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve got the M200’s in Waaiiit for it………. Blue, 😯

They are grippy enough for me but as Warns describes so well above, My bars on the sole sometimes Squeek on the silver surface of the pedal,
    It pisses me right off.

A quick spray with juice adds lube for a bit, when i can remember i spray a bit of GT85 on there.

I bought Blue as i went all nostalgic, i had a pair of some of the very first SPD shoes in Brown Sude, Blue camvas with Orange inside the shoes, I bought the shoes and had to wait ages for the cleats. I would buy SHIMANO one’s though they just work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me some grippy SPD shoes – For XT Pedals.’ is closed to new replies.