• This topic has 21 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TN.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recent photos of Chapel Gate, Peak District.
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi.
    Can anyone post recent photos of Chapel Gate track please?
    We rode Rushup Edge today and went straight on instead of turning right down CG. It was quite nice and J rode a good proportion of it, except some of the bigger drops – I think he was surprised how well he did (even though I had no doubt he'd do okay). I was trying to describe CG to him – said the top was fairly similar to parts of the straight on trail, but was trying to describe the middle and lower bit to him.
    Can anyone post photos that I could show him. I think that might be a bit beyond him at the mo, but ultimately it's his choice to ride oo not, but I'd like to at least give him some idea…
    Thanks in advance.
    T

davo
    Free Member

i went down it today, and its a right mess! some tw-t in a range rover got stuck half way down it. i could not believe that anyone would take a 4×4 down there.

TN
    Free Member

I rode it almost 2 years ago and remember it being bad enough then, but figured it would either be worse, or have been 'improved'.
    J rode SO well today. When we got to the road at the bottom some motorcyclists held the gate for us and couldn't believe he'd ridden down with one arm. 🙂

davo
    Free Member

we passed you on rushup edge today. what had your friend done to his arm?

TN
    Free Member

Hi Davo. He had bone cancer last year and had to have it amputated. He's riding almost as well now as he did before (we were pretty crap back then, we're just fitter now!) so we are trying to ride more interesting stuff. He asked about riding down 'the other side', what it was like and it's such a long time since I rode down there I wasn't able to give him a good answer. Plus it was summer when I did it, an entirely different prospect, I suspect.

grahamt1980

I walked down it yesterday the top section is not too bad, interesting on a bike. The bottom bit (after the little tarmac hump) is really really bad, I would be thinking very hard about riding that section on the track, you could ride on the muddy bit to the side though.
    Sorry didn't take any photos but the bottom bit looks seriously bad multiple sequential 12-18" drops and what looks like a few wheel eaters. Half tempted to get the DH bike up there sometime for a laugh though

davo
    Free Member

that is so brave to carry on riding after something like that. much respect to him for that. does he ride a standard bike if so how does he manage to brake?

TN
    Free Member

He's doing so well. He's got far more nerve than I have – I sometimes try to 'assess' a route for him by riding it one handed and I'll say "Hmmm, maybe not" but he will still do it. And usually do it okay! 🙂
    It's a standard bike but with all the stuff from the left bar added on the right. It looks a bit chaotic but it works well for him. He also has a steering damper but that isn't working at the mo. (There is a thread I started on here ages ago asking for advice on modifying his bike – it's an interesting but looooong read.)

Which group were you with Davo? (J says 'wearing a blue top' won't cut it!) Were you with the group of 4 with the girl who was having SPD woes?

We met a couple of landys, a quad and a stinky little two stroker coming up from the road as we were heading down. Aside from anything else, it just doesn't look like fun. I don't get it?!

TN
    Free Member

Graham – thanks for that. I think we'll give that side of the hill a miss for now, in that case. 🙂

grahamt1980

No problem, the lines are there but god you have got to hit them exactly right. Its worth going and walking it to see if he fancies it. Certainly wouldn't want to hit it blind

geetee1972
    Free Member

Not to disrespect the bravery of the comments here by returning to the original thread, but I will never forget the sight of 17 4x4s, mostly Landys and Range Rovers, queuing up the track of Chapel Gate. I came hooning round a corner about half way down to come face to face with the lead vehicle taking up the entire width of the track and having some trouble with progress. I had to climb out of the main track and ride down the side. I ended up commenting to the vehicle at the very back that he might be there a while. The driver rolled his eyes and cursed that he'd already been there 90 minutes!

LOL I just love off roaders, what a waste of time!

davo
    Free Member

we passed you on the muddy bit just before you get to the gate where the track inproves and becomes less muddy and more rocky. i was on a green orange 5 and my mate was on a white cannondale rize. i take it you dropped out onto the road, where we turned right down chappel gate.

grahamt1980

davo – did you ride the bottom section? If so is it as bad as it looks? Its half tempting to take a mate of mine down there on thursday if the weather isn't too bad

davo
    Free Member

graham its a bit hard going but the easy line is down the left hand side. give it a go.

TN
    Free Member

The driver rolled his eyes and cursed that he'd already been there 90 minutes!

Geetee – I think that's it – the one at the front of the queue we met today was going soooo slowly and everyone was of course waiting behind and looked bored sh**less. I just don't understand it. Why??

Davo – yes, that's right, we carried straight on instead of going right. It was nice, I've never ridden along that part before.
    Your mate isn't called Jamie, by any chance?

davo
    Free Member

no its not jamie. his name is shaun.

grahamt1980

fair enough, may well head that way then, left hand side? Through the deep gulley or down the mud next to the main track, i.e. outside the sunken bit

davo
    Free Member

graham there are lots of good lines to try. just go for it 😉

lyons
    Free Member

from what i remember of that track, it was definitely dh bike teritory. Even then it just looked stupidly dangerous. And the grassy bit was ok. I cant remember what they are called but there are better descent coming down from there…

grahamt1980

will do, edale loop it is then

davo
    Free Member

you could go fast on a downhill bike but my orange 5 was just fine. someone went down before me on a hardtail.

TN
    Free Member

I've been down on a hardtail, but in much nicer weather conditions and it sounds like the surface probably wasn't as knackered as it sounds like it is now…
    I have to say though, you lot were giving me serious suspension envy today! 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recent photos of Chapel Gate, Peak District.’ is closed to new replies.