• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Reccomend me a very light long sleeved top for track riding – boiled tonight :(
  • iainc

first session at Glasgow Velodrome tonight and was roasting with a normal road long top on. Need to find something lighter and cooler for next week – apparently you are ‘supposed’ to wear long sleeves..

druidh
    Free Member

Rab do a very very thin baselayer – Aeon. Almost like silk but in a man-made fabric.

chiefgrooveguru

The UnderArmour cool wear is curiously cold.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Helly Hansen base layer, or anything along those lines. How’d the track night go, apart from melting Iain?! Good fun?.

scaredypants

ground effect submerinos are surprisingly cool – but you won’t get one for next week, I guess

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

worst ‘I’ve been having fun on a bike tonight while you lot are sitting at home’ thread today 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Skinsuit!

iainc

thanks all – I think I have a bit to go before I could get away with team kit on the track 8)

nobeerinthefridge – brilliant fun. The bankings are quite daunting when you are pootling around the blue strip on the first few laps but within half an hour your are flying round using full height. There were 15 folk in the session (Accred 1)so they split us at times while practising lines. It’s totally knackering though, compared to road or mtb. Half a dozen fast laps and I was buzzing and very very thirsty. The feeling coming from the top of the banking down to the red line on a straight is mental 😆

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sleeves aren’t even mentioned at Manchester

The top endura tops are very thin, but you will still get hot

Single layers don’;t do much anyway, i was always told to wear two layers which can move over each other

It shouldn’t matter, if the session is safely run as falls should be rare.

iainc

Sleeves aren’t even mentioned at Manchester

for Glasgow they say on the booking info you should wear long sleeves. That said probably half the folk were in short sleeves. Tempted to just do that next week in an attempt to not overheat !

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

As above, skinsuit

sp
    Free Member

Mankini 😈

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I wear an adidas techfit / climacool base layer, it is pretty cool (has a sort of mesh on the side and back) with a regular cycling top over that.

I need to lose the gut before im going anywhere near a skinsuit 😳

iainc

thanks all,ordered this, just need to lose a few pounds for next week now 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think they recommend long sleeves due to the severe rash and splintering you would get if you crash on the track especially if you’re novices, it’s not usuaslly compulsory though. So you may be abel to go with SS just wing it at your own risk!

iainc

Munge-chick – yeah, that makes sense – I thionk I will stick with long sleeves for a few more sessions. A few turkeys on the field on these eraly sessions, self probably included 😛

Haze

http://www.canterbury.com/baselayer-hot-long-sleeve-top-p15736

Wore one under a short sleeved road jersey, perfect.

e2a: too late, nevermind

iainc

aaarrgghh – CRC just cancelled my order – out of stock 🙁

crazy-legs

Iain: try a SS base layer (I use the really thin, lightweight Rapha V-neck merino ones but anything thin will be fine) with a SS lycra top over it. For warming up I’ll often use a pair of armwarmers (again, really thin, lightweight ones) but there’s no way I’d use LS on the track.

Avoid anything with a high polyester count, it’ll burn like hell if you slide down a banking at 30mph…

iainc

Haze – thanks for that link, ordered one of those

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Ian , wear short sleeves. I did 3 test and 4 today ( see my FB post) most wore short sleeves. Coaches have never mentioned it, today we had Rab Wardell.

iainc

saw that FB post, jealous 😆

you fallen off yet ?

iainc

how did it go anyway Alan ?

Sanny
    Free Member

Iainc in a skinsuit….I think I’ve just been sick in my mouth………. 😯

nedrapier

a light chain mail would be ideal, wouldn’t it? Breathable, abrasion resistant?

iainc

Iainc in a skinsuit….I think I’ve just been sick in my mouth……….

I think I’ve been sick in your mouth too Sanny….but that’s another story 😆

anyways, when you comin doon the track ?

kilo

ss with a base layer for herne hill (you’re probably more likely to have impact damage than burns if you fall there) I was also using these both at HH and when I rode Newport

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57608

found them quite light but with full finger protection

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a very light long sleeved top for track riding – boiled tonight :(’ is closed to new replies.