Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Reccomend me a G-Shock watch
  • pocketrocket
    Free Member

So I’ll be the grand old age of 42 tomorrow and Mrs Pocketrocket has said she was going to buy me a watch but is bewildered by the choice.

I’ve always fancied having a G-Shock watch after having dress watches so any recommendations?

Are they all equal or anything in particular I should look out for?

Over to you.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I have one of these, very pleased with it

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Aviation/GW3000B-1A

cranberry
    Free Member

I can’t give you a model No., but I’d go for one that is solar powered/radio controlled = no messing about with setting the right time and no battery to change.

simon_g

Yeah, I love the super-precise time on my solar, radio controlled one. It’s a GW-5610-somethingorother.

Looked at the analogue dial radio controlled ones but they are huge and I don’t have enormous wrists.

gonzy
    Free Member

i treated myself to one of these last year from amazon…reasonably cheap at £58 i thought…i think it’s even cheaper now…
    does all the jobs i need it to do and is now my watch of choice…leaving the rest of my expensive watch collection for more suitable occasions…

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Tbh, I was being a bit lazy and thought I’ll just ask on here before I start googling, Didn’t realize the choice was so huge!

So to narrow it down a bit anything up to £200 and I as I am not exactly a big man (hence the username 😆 ) nothing that would look too big on my arm.

piedi di formaggio, nice, but a bit orange for me! not that I’m averse to a splash of colour on it.

Clobber
    Free Member

I have the same one as Piedi and really like it

oddjob
    Free Member

I have this one and don’t like the red hour hand as it is really difficult to see in anything but really good light.

flange
    Free Member

I have the same one as oddjob. Again, find it hard to see the red hour hand, and the back light thing is rubbish. Other than the fact its difficult to actually read the time off it, its a good watch….

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Righto that counts out anything with a red hour hand then, I knew it would be a good idea to ask on here!

Simon

I’ve got the same one as Gonzy. I’ve worn it everyday for the last 3, maybe 4 years and it’s held up really well.
    If I had the same budget as the OP I’d go for a solar/radio controlled one.

RustySpanner

I don’t think there’s any duffers out there, just pick one you like the look of.

The watchuseek G Shock forum is a bit odd, linky, but quite interesting.

The G Shock Wiki site, linky, is a decent resource.

And don’t feel that you’re restricted to the watches on the UK Casio site – there lots more out there – even high street jewellers carry models not listed by Casio UK.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I have one of these

Solar, waveceptor

£73 on amazon atm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-G-Shock-Quartz-Watch-Analogue/dp/B007421B3W

DezB
    Free Member

I got this one, just looked at a bunch of them and found it to have the most clear face. Also needed the world time setting.
    Why are the back-lights so crap though? My £5 Aldi watch has a better back-light!

parkesie
    Free Member

Snap biscuit.
    Just choose one you like the look of with the features you want. Put it on and never take it off again until it needs a clean 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-G-Shock-G-100-2BVMUR-Digital-Analogue/dp/B000X4J2KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370949017&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+g100+blue

It’s a darker, more navy blue in real life.

EDIT: mine’s the blue one of DezB’s and bought for the same reason: an ‘unfussy’ face

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’ve got one like formaggio’s, but without the orange .. my numbers etc are in a nice tasteful shade of white.

Only thing about it I don’t like is the plastic strap – I wish it was a metal bracelet.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

mine is solar powered. which means that

a) the backlight is crap
    b) the alarm is crap

at least I assume the reason is the solar power (energy conservation).

if either of those things matter to you, I’d avoid the solar powered ones. I’m not even sure if it’s worth it, the battery in my old non-solar g-shock lasted for years and years and that had a decent alarm and backlight

chewkw
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob – Member

mine is solar powered. which means that

a) the backlight is crap
    b) the alarm is crap

I have GW-5610.

It has blue-ish florescent back light and easy to read no problem.

The alarm could be louder but I am not bother unless you want to use it as alarm clock which I am not.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I would get this one; seems the most ‘essence of g-shock’ to me.

http://www.g-shock.co.uk/productview.aspx?ID=2060&cat=0

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I think the solar goes hand in hand with the atomic/radio controlled feature as I don’t think they make any waveceptors that aren’t also solar.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I have GW-5610.

I have GW-3500.

The orange light cast over the front of the orange-on-black digital readout (not backlit) renders them invisible. You can see the hands though.

If the watch is in a tent pocket next to my head, the alarm is inaudible.

I’ve heard that the batteries in the solar powered watches are small, and need replacing every couple of years, so the overall benefit over non-solar watches is questionable in my opinion. be interesting to see if/when I need to replace my batteries.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

…just reading the site, that one I link to above (model Classic GW-M5610-1ER) seems to have atomic/radio time correction without the solar, making me want it even more.

edit: my mistake, that one’s solar too.

CountZero

G-100 FTW.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I wear this when I’m cruising the scene in my Oldsmobile, collecting the “rent” off of my girls.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

It would seem most of the ones I like the look of have a red hour hand, is the problem of seeing it just limited to the model owned by oddjob and flange?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Well I have never found it a problem on mine.

You can usually get different colourways, some of which have both hands silver if it bothers you.

RustySpanner

Deletedways.

I don’tways wantways toways comeways overways asways aways grumpyways oldways gitways.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

+1 for both solar powered and radio controlled. Tough watches that tell perfect time and are unlikley to ever need the battery changing.

I’ve had a gw-002E for 4-ish years and been very pleased with it.

dobo
    Free Member

some of these g shocks are nice looking and all that but i prefer the timex ironman shock, bombproof, cheaper, great fabric strap, easy to read digital display

like this, lots of other models available

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/timex-ironman-shock-review-buzzbait-65321.html

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Rusty, I think ‘colour way’ refers to a collection of colours used together – a ‘palette’ – rather than just being a longer way of saying ‘colour’.

RustySpanner

Like ‘colours’?
    Or, if you insist, ‘colourscheme’? 😀

Sorry.

I’m off to give myself a damn good telling off.

fasthaggis

dobo

Looks like you should be driving a Landie( short wheelbase V8 )wearing that 🙂

After I lost my last G-Shock ,I got one of These

peachos
    Free Member

i use the Riseman, GW-9200-1ER. don’t really wear a watch unless i’m out in the hills (etc) so this one is perfect. altimeter works very well so far & gives you something else to help with navigation (not massively useful for mtb, but great for mountaineering/hill walking). it works on barometric pressure so can tell you if crap weather is coming in.

solar powered/radio controlled. world time is useful.

auto-illuminator – love this function – light comes on with wrist movement. great for night riding!

top bit of kit. hoping it’ll last every bit as long as my previous g-shock, which served 15 years.

flange
    Free Member

I think mine is so hard to see because the face of the watch is quite busy. There’s an awful lot of (fairly useless) information being fired at you which can make it quite hard to pick out the actual time. It’s also quite a dark red against a fairly dark background

Its not that you can’t see it at all, it just takes a bit more than a glance in the general direction of it to know the time.

On the plus side its far more comfortable to wear than my more expensive watches – the clasp on it doesn’t dig into my wrist like my other watches when I’m using a keyboard. Its also bombproof – I’ve had it about 6 months and worn it on a number of occasions when I’ve crashed on the bike and its still mint.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Despite my comments earlier about Piedis’ watch I’m quite taken by this one.

http://www.watches2u.com/watches/casio/gw-3000b-1aer-mens-g-shock-all-black-resin-watch.html

I think its the same watch but just doesn’t look quite so orange?

Alternatively,
    http://www.watches2u.com/watches/casio/gw-3500b-1aer-mens-g-shock-combi-display-tough-solar-watch.html

Only thing is my skinny wrists, just wondering if they’d look a bit big on me. I’ll need to find somewhere at Merry Hell tomorrow that stocks them, to see it in the flesh as it were.

thehustler
    Free Member

This is mine, the way i treat it you’d think it was bomb proof

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

Deletedways.

I don’tways wantways toways comeways overways asways aways grumpyways oldways gitways.

Too late 😛

Dorset_Knob – Member

Rusty, I think ‘colour way’ refers to a collection of colours used together – a ‘palette’ – rather than just being a longer way of saying ‘colour’.

Correct, but why let that get in the way of a bit of classic STW misguided pedantry? 😉

RustySpanner

Correct, but why let that get in the way of a bit of classic STW misguided pedantry?

Sir, I demand satisfaction!

What exatly is wrong with ‘colours’ or ‘colourscheme’? 😀

I choose bicycles and umbrellas:

You may choose the place.

Have at you, you varlet!

RustySpanner

FWIW, I went for a G7900:

I really like it, although it’s a bit big & busy.

The 5600 series are lovely though – loads of different styles available.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a G-Shock watch’ is closed to new replies.