• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reba 2014 coil conversion
  • garage-dweller

Not got around to getting my Reba looked at yet after a post a few weeks ago (no time for riding or fettling for last few weeks sadly) where I suspect mine is suffering from the positive / negative spring issue.

Going to ride it tomorrow having deflated emptied and reset pressures.

If it still feels horrible I am in two minds about

1) preserving the warranty and dispatching it to the bike shop

2) after reading all the horrors of multiple replacement forks just saying nuts to it and the warranty and getting a coil conversion so it works.

If anyone has any real world experience or thoughts happy/very interested to hear them.

My riding time is limited/precious due to other pressures so my ultimate goal is reliable and faff and hassle free and I can bear a little cost/risk to get there.

Northwind

It’s not exactly the same but I coil-converted my Revelations, using sektor parts. Easy job with that combo since it’s basically 2 versions of the same fork, I bought a damaged sektor donor for peanuts. The performance difference isn’t enormous tbh, I mostly feel the difference in fatigue rather than “woah, this feels amazing” but it’s still nice. And it stopped my dual air from leaking 😆 It’s a fair bit of extra weight though. Also, I knew I’m a rockshox medium in other coil forks so I was pretty confident in my spring choice but it’s easy to get wrong first time, as it’s partly taste (and the rockshox guidance is toss, as is much of the advice on the internet)

But, if it’s in warranty I’d just get it back and get it sorted personally.

garage-dweller

Cheers northwind. I never worry about bike weight particularly but good point about spring choice.

devash
    Free Member

I just got round to fitting my warranty replacement Reba today. According to the workshop report sheet they replaced the stanchions due to creaking, so there wasn’t anything wrong with the air spring apparently. Fork felt great until I let all the air out and pumped it back up, now feels harsh again.

I’m going to try the negative air valve release trick once I get hold of a long allen key and if that doesn’t help then I’m just going to cut my losses and offload the forks at the nearest opportunity.

garage-dweller

Devash had a similar thing when I deflated mine, I had to cycle my fork a few times after pumping up to get it to feel ok last time. The pre ride garden squidgy test tells me it may be ok for now but I may be back here cursing tomorrow.

I don’t think it helps my perception of performance when I am used to custom valved coil forks on the other bike!

qwerty
    Free Member

Hi Martin,

it probably is possible to convert the forks to coil, however it would be a non reversible process and I’d have to investigate compatibility of the spring systems currently available.

Have the forks been returned to Sramtech for a warranty inspection to see if they can rectify the faults/replace the fork?

Kind regards

Simon Powdrill.

Loco Tuning
    01841 540508
    Unit 14, Higher Trevibban Farm
    St Ervan, Wadebridge
    Cornwall, PL27 7SH

qwerty
    Free Member

^ I asked Loco the same regarding my Reba, still sitting on the fence. On mine a lower leg & air shaft service sorts it, until next time. I’d much prefer the reliability of a coil spring.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just looked at this again and I’m pretty sure it’s not possible due to differences in top cap threads with the spring systems/topcaps that are still available for 32mm rockshox coil forks unfortunately.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reba 2014 coil conversion’ is closed to new replies.