Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rat Race – The Crossing Coast to Coast
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thinking of signing up to this event (http://www.ratracecrossing.com) next year, just wondering if anyone has done it in the past. What was their experience?

Cos I’ve doen some of the Wiggle events in the past and there is very little reward at the end just pure grunt work.

Anyhow happy to hear from anybody

DrP

Looks good, but…what do I get for my £340-400??
    Not food by the looks of it.

DrP

hopefiendboy

AS per DrP- gotta question the fee for doing it a little

ChrisE
    Free Member

The coast to coast on (or near) Woodcocks route is fantastic. A great ride an stunning sceneary and a real achievement over 3-4 days carrying your own gear, map reading etc.

I can’t think of a better way of ruining it than by doing it with hundreds of others, racing it, on a marked route.

Paying for doing it. WTF

C

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

yeah the fee is a bit ridiculous to say the least.

some valid points made guys thanks for the feedback looks like I shall use the money towards something else and just plan to ride this with the gang on our own steam

wukfit
    Free Member

I too liked the look of this event, and had been tempted to enter so I had something to aim and train for,
    But I just couldn’t justify the cost, would rather spend a bit more and go abroad somewhere

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve done the coast to coast with mates a few times on and off road, brilliant.

Not sure if i’d stump up that much for an organised one considering how much we paid for beer, food and b&b’s to do it.

BUT, I have done a few Rat Race events and they have been really good.

Northwind

Likewise I was interested but it’s priced itself out.

honeybadgerx

I’ve been plotting to do something similar to this over a long weekend sometime with Wor Lass, haven’t decided on exact route yet though. Sections through the Lakes are a given but then can’t decide between heading north into the Pennines (my homelands) or straying south into the Dales, either way final section through the moors will involve the Lion Inn at Blakey then Fish and Chips in Whitby/Robin Hoods bay.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It does seem expensive. When I did the Transwales it was 7 days including food for £550. And their Pit Stops seem rather sparsely rationed too. We had sandwiches, fruit, biscuits, tea, energy drink, the works.

As an aside, Mrs PP and I did a similar route to that as a holiday, on slicked-up MTBs towing a trailer with the tent in it. It’s a Sustans route called Walney to Wear (or you can split at Barnard Castle and go to Whitby then on to Scarborough as we did)
    It’s a lovely tour, I’d highly recommend it. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rat Race – The Crossing Coast to Coast’ is closed to new replies.