Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Range of a typical wifi extender
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Does anyone have any Real World experience of wifi extender range?

Looking at getting a signal down to my shed which is 25m from where I could put the extender near the back door.

Would I get a better effect if I put it in the loft? Does the height help?

I realise there are a lot of variables but just looking for an idea if it’s easily doable.

avdave2

Is there power to the shed? The units that use your electrical circuit are a lot better in my personal experience.

nemesis
    Free Member

A clear line of sight helps. If you can’t do that then typically less metallic or less dense materials are better to go through. 25m is certainly doable in your scenario. Different extenders will also have very different ranges.

Pickers

I have one at the back of the house to get a signal to my cabin, around 20 metres or so.
    Works well, it’s for a desktop PC so I needed a wifi dongle wotsit as well (previously it was hard wired but the damn hound likes to nibble on the cable).
    The electric circuit ones only work if the router and the extender are on the same circuit, mine wasn’t so no good for me.

redstripe
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack OP, I have the same issue, a shed/office about 25m from where current router is in house. It’s got power to the shed but the wire goes back directly to the main consumer unit so not on the same house socket circuit. So will those plug in boosters not work? cheers

Pickers

@Avontyrrell – no that won’t work. I think it’s a Netgear device that I bought, plugs directly into a mains socket but receives the wifi signal and transmits it on.
    I can’t emphasise enough that I’m not any sort of expert but I found it a doddle to set up

avdave2

The electric circuit ones only work if the router and the extender are on the same circuit, mine wasn’t so no good for me.

No it doesn’t have to be on the same circuit just the same earth back at the consumer unit I believe. I run netgear ones across 2 separate ring mains with no issues.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any recommendations on kit then folks?

samuri
    Free Member

I have a TP-LINK WA750RE. looks nice, works great.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Job jobbed.

Bought a Netgear WN3000.

Quick and easy to set up and I now have 2 bars and a pretty fast connection in my shed 25m away.

Not sure if it would go much further but the unit is probably not in the best position.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Range of a typical wifi extender’ is closed to new replies.