Home Forums Bike Forum Random punctures on the turbo trainer!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Random punctures on the turbo trainer!!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Ok, I went up to do my training session on the turbo today, and had another flat tyre to deal with! This is the 2nd time its happened as far as I remember. It baffles me how I could get a flat indoors. I did 3 sessions on it indoors before hand so reckon its minimal chance It was a slow puncture from the road.

:|

Bizarre!

DT78
    Free Member

Road tyre? Little stones get embedded in the rubber but don’t puncture straight away, over time they work their way deeper and puncture. I regularly inspect tyres and ping out a couple of stones before use on turbo

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Oops, didn’t realize I posted this twice. Kept on getting an error message so didn’t think it went through.

And ye it’s a road tyre, could maybe be little stones or glass I suppose.

julianwilson
    Free Member

dt78 +1

Have you binned or checked and repaired the tube?
    Reason I ask is that one of my recent punctures was from oil degrading the tube rather than anything pointy. I’d recently rebuilt the wheel with a new rim (and I use chain or fork oil on the nipples as per the wheelpro book) and in my hurry (commuter bike night before work!) I hadn’t cleaned the inside properly afterwards: particularly oily nipple made oil seep through cloth rim tape and pershed a hole in the tube.

project
    Free Member

check the valve it may be ripping from the tube,

michaelmcc
    Free Member

check the valve it may be ripping from the tube,

Yep, thought it could have been a slow puncture to tried pumping it up, but I heard and felt air coming straight from the valve area.

rexated
    Free Member

I was plagued with punctures even on the turbo for a while. Tried new tyres, new tubes, carefully checked the rim 100 times….it ended up being the plastic rim strip that was causing it…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Random punctures on the turbo trainer!!’ is closed to new replies.