Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Radio 1 censorship – can anyone explain it?
  • billybob
    Free Member

As they’ve censored whips & chains lyrics from rhianna’s S&M song

Sex in the air
    I don’t care
    I love the smell of it
    Sticks and stones
    May break my bones
    But chains and whips
    Excite me

But not Kanye West & Katy Perry?

Pockets on Shrek, Rockets on deck
    Tell me what’s next, alien sex
    I’ma disrobe you, than I’mma probe you
    See I abducted you, so I tell ya what to do
    I tell ya what to do, what to do, what to do

Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and
    Fill me with your poison

Take me, ta-ta-take me
    Wanna be a victim
    Ready for abduction

Not bothered, just confused! Especially as the target audience for each song is about 8 year olds

TooTall
    Free Member

Not bothered, just confused!

Stop listening to Radio 1.

/confusion

/thread

billybob
    Free Member

Stop listening to Radio 1.

It was on in the car the other day – usually listen to 6music..

Didn’t Radio One ban Fairy Tale of New York one year because of the insults in the lyrics, while Radio two carried on playing it ?

rickmeister

Radio 4, its the schnizzle…. Radio 1 is soooo last year dahling.

zokes
    Free Member

Didn’t Radio One ban Fairy Tale of New York one year because of the insults in the lyrics, while Radio two carried on playing it ?

Yup, then they reinstated it after censoring ‘Faggott’. Perhaps ‘Faggott’ is less offensive to the older generations?

iDave
    Free Member

i was hoping Radio 1 had been censored.

stevious

I’m not sure if it’s R1 who’ve done the censoring – quite often the record companies/artists supply their own radio edit without prompting. Being a cynic, I suspect that the Rhianna song is censored just to make it seem more interesting and to generate some controversy.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m not sure if it’s R1 who’ve done the censoring – quite often the record companies/artists supply their own radio edit without prompting. Being a cynic, I suspect that the Rhianna song is censored just to make it seem more interesting and to generate some controversy.

Yar, Rhianna had a bit of a strop about Radio One’s censoring, and it turned out it was actually her record label that had edited it and sent it to the radio stations.

soobalias
    Free Member

would the bbc save any/much money by not broadcasting R1 during the day

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought it was the “old slut on junk” that they took offense at?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I stayed at the malvern hills hotel the other week and had the Game Faggots for dinner. They were lovely.

tom84
    Free Member

weird, i was thinking about the whips and chains censorship too recently, there’s enough evocation of domestic violence (rihanna is a case in point) and yet s and m is banned?

the message seems to be: ‘hit her but make sure she doesn’t enjoy it, or, god forbid, let it be known that she might enjoy hitting you’.

—– mysogynist culture! (go on censor that){Ok – Mod}

traildog
    Free Member

As mentioned above, it was her record company that supplied a special daytime playlist version of the song. So not so much Radio1 sensoring it.

jon1973
    Free Member

I stayed at the malvern hills hotel the other week and had the Game Faggots for dinner

Yes, but those were expensive Faggots from a nice hotel, not those cheap lousy faggots you get from Iceland, I think those were the ones the song was referring to.

tom84
    Free Member

regardless of what radio 1 did or didn’t do, the message is the same.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im betting those are LDA* faggots. Superb specimens.
    * Ledbury District Abbattoir. Gone all posh with a new name now though:

http://www.butchers.uk.com/

As you were gents.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yup, then they reinstated it after censoring ‘Faggott’. Perhaps ‘Faggott’ is less offensive to the older generations

Not if you have Brains it’s not

joao3v16
    Free Member

Radio 1 censorship doesn’t seem to be working properly because when I tune in I can still hear music and talking.

Also it seems to be stuck on some kind of endless loop cos I hear the same music several times a day. every day.

Does R1 only have the latest ‘Now!’ compilation to choose from ?

Or maybe I just don’t get it because I’m not 9 years old any more.

BoardinBob

Gone are the days of Fat Harry White 8)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Also it seems to be stuck on some kind of endless loop cos I hear the same music several times a day. every day.

Does R1 only have the latest ‘Now!’ compilation to choose from ?

Or maybe I just don’t get it because I’m not 9 years old any more.

One of our local stations, ‘Capital’ is exactly like that and my 9 year old son loves it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You should try heart FM, now that really is bad!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Radio 1 censorship – can anyone explain it?’ is closed to new replies.