Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Radial spoked rims and punctures
  • ex-pat
    Free Member

I've got an old but good quality radial spoked rim that I've put on a bike, and up until then I've not had a puncture in 3 years – even stopped bothering with puncture repair kits etc when out cycling.
    Anyway, since going to the new rim I've had two instances of the inner tube tearing at the valve. I've also got Panaracer fireXC Pros on, and they are loose for sure.
    Anyone had/got a radial spoked rim and experienced more punctures? Or is it more likely a poor tyre choice?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Probably got a little more to do with innertube/tyre things.. Very little with radial spokeyness. Rough up the rim around the bead a bit so the tyre sticks better, and make sure that the valve hole is burr free and very smooth.

nickc

Talc on the inner tubes?

ex-pat
    Free Member

Cheers bikewhisperer – tis a lovely looking rim so a bit of (obvious really) thought to be applied!

Cheers

bent_udder
    Free Member

If they're kevlar bead Fire XCs, then it nay be a stretched bead. AS said above, it does sound like the tyre is rotating around the wheel as you brake or accelerate (Likely to be braking) and ripping the valve off. I had a nightmare ride on Fire XCs a few years ago, ripping off four valves in total. A different tyre solved the problem. I've only had this with Fire XCs (two of 'em), but it may happen with other tyres, too.

epicyclo

The valve hole isn't jagged or sharp by any chance?

ex-pat
    Free Member

I think it's a combination of old Fire XC's that have stretched, they're pretty easy to get on/off and the valve hole isn't exactly smooth.

I'll smooth the hole (as it were) and ponder the tyres as I really do like them on the bike and am too mean skint to go out and buy a new set…

Cheers all.

bent_udder
    Free Member

No probs. If you have a spare set lying around, or some on another bike, try different tyres before anything else. I spent ages roughing up the rims and carefully smoothing the valve holes, but only new / different tyres sorted it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I had a patch of this a few years ago, one a week.

Changed from Panaracer tubes, never happened again 😕

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Radial spoked rims and punctures’ is closed to new replies.